Return of the Sweet Valley Twins

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42319909/ns/today-books/

New book, "Sweet Valley Confidential," catches up with Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield, now in their late 20s. For some reason, this makes me laugh my ass off, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist reading it out of morbid curiosity, kinda like with the Sex and the City movies.

meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  2. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

OMG the tv series was so trashy and the books adorable. We also had the Sweet Valley Board Game. My sisters never let me play as one of the twins.

3. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Huh... I think I may have to read this! Certainly can't be any worse than some of the dreck I've read over the years. We too had the board game. I was a little older when we got it, but it was still surprisingly fun. I was always Elizabeth. :)

4. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Hehe, I am SO glad to know I wasn't the only one who had the board game, LOL :rofl:

I will definitely have to read this book. I'm sure it will be quite entertaining for all of us who grew up with them. :)

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I remember reading that series when I was growing up!

6. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

I found the board game in my parents' basement a few years ago and brought it home. I play it with friends every once in a while for shits & giggles. We used to think Winston looked so nerdy, but now I was like hey, he's kinda hot... :lol:

Can't wait to read this book! It's going to be total trash. :D

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I remember my cousin mailing me copies of the Sweet Valley High books when we were like 11 or 12. We thought we were big shots to be reading about these older girls who went on dates.

8. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

why would you want to be one of the twins when you could be Lila? :p

9. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I can't believe there was/is a board game and I didn't know about it. :eek: Where have I been? :wuzrobbed:fragile:

Oh well. What was the object of the game? Did the winner get a set of matching lavaliere necklaces to go their blue-green eyes? :p

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am all about SVH. My favourites are the ones people never talk about: Caroline, Olivia (love her!) and Ken Matthews. And Steven and Cara are my OTP. And I was depressed for WEEKS when Regina died.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

My little sister (7.5 years my junior) was obsessed with the SVH books and had all of them, which she read over and over.

She would then "play" Sweet Valley High with her Barbie and Ken dolls :lol:, but the adventures she came up with were not exactly the kind of wholesome antics of Jessica, Elizabeth, and their friends :rofl: :EVILLE: ,

My friend Loren and I used to eavesdrop spy on her while she and her BFF Libby were playing SVH (Loren and I nicknamed them "Slutty Vixen Ho's,' :lol: ), and I gotta say, the story lines those two 10 year-olds came up with were far more entertaining that what had to have gone on in those books. Since this was back the '80s, I'd say those two must have drawn some of their inspiration from watching waayyyy to many videos on MTV to come up with some of the "adventures" those twins got into :rofl: .

When it came to those kinds of books, I myself was more of a Trixie Belden girl (if anyone remembers that series). Back when I was reading them, I always thought *those* books should have been made into a TV series instead of that god-awful "Nancy Dres/Hardy Boys Mystery Series (with Pamela Sue Martin, Parker Stevenson, and Shaun Cassidy) :blah: :yawn:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Wooo! I used to read all the trashy stuff. This, Baby Sitter's Club and more...

I want to read this :shuffle: But I have important exams coming up and don't want to buy it. What a dilemma :drama:

13. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

That's awesome!! I had the board game too...and was always Enid! haha

14. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I was always Enid, too.

The TV show was so horrible, yet my cousin and I would always watch it every Saturday morning. :lol:

Did anyone notice that sometimes the books would say "Created by Francine Pascal," but written by someone else?

And I loved The Babysitters Club! I stopped collecting/reading the books at number 90-something, but I also had all of the "Super Specials," etc. I even wrote to Ann M. Martin and she sent me a signed letter back. I was so excited.

15. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I took the Babysitters Club prequal that came out last year out from the library. It was quite the flashback.

16. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

oh I loved SVH!! and the Babysitters club too!! Here in Norway we never had the tv-series (at least I can't remember it), and definitely not the board game, but oh...those were good times! I was 11-12, and saw nothing but pure entertainment in those books. I read them again and again...

17. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Too cute.:)

I know, right?????????????

:rofl:

Ooooh...I didn't know about this. I might have to check it out. I still credit Stacy McGill for my love of math and Dawn Schafer for my obsession with dental hygiene.

18. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I was fluent in English when I read the books, but still a little iffy on so many things about it. I remember not understanding what a lavaliere necklace was and trying to figure it out. For some reason my translation came out to rope, but I couldn't figure out why they would wear rope.

The blue-green eyes freaked me out too. I thought they each had one blue eye and one green. Between that and the Spider Fiat they drove (that I thought must look like a spider), I was lost at moments.

So you can imagine I was quite confused as to why everyone thought these girls were so pretty with their mismatched eyes and rope necklaces. Add them driving around in a car that looked like a spider and I had a strange view of what was cool in the US.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Stefanie

I still have my VHS copies of The Babysitters Club short movies and I also have the VHS of the Babysitters Club feature film (with Sissy Spacek's daughter as Kristy).

I thank The Babysitters Club for my understanding of diabetes. (Because it was explained in every. single. book. it seemed.)

20. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for YEARS for SV Confidential to come out. YEARS! It was a rumor for the longest time and I never thought it would actually be written, so when it was announced last year it was really coming out I was over the moon. I pre-ordered it from Amazon and got it yesterday and am halfway through it. It's.....interesting, that's for sure!

21. Stefanie

I just placed a hold on this book at my library. I am 13th in line. :lol:

22. Stefanie

I was just looking at the reviews on Amazon, and they don't look good. Among other things, someone reported there are numerous typos throughout the book. :slinkaway

23. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I think I still have the first 20-odd books from the series in my basement, courtesy of my god-daughter who thought they were The Best Literature Ever and gave them to me for safe-keeping when her mother threatened to throw them out if she refused to read anything else.

24. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I'm holding myself back from buying the new book. :lol: I had the board game too.

I started reading SVH in 4th grade, and I probably stopped in 8th grade or so. I had a competition with one of my bookworm friends to see who could read more of the books, since they were past #40 when we started. My friend had an unfair advantage--she had 2 olders sisters who had a bunch of the books.

Ah, memories. :) I was also a big Babysitters Club fan too.

25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wasn't nearly as big of a sweet valley fan as I was a BSC fan- but I might pick this up for nostalgia sake.

I remember reading books about the twins before they got to high school- Sweet Valley Junior high and Sweet Valley Twins. I liked those better because as a 1st and 2nd grader, I couldn't identify as much with the Sweet valley high books (though I definetly had a few)...

26. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I read so many BSC books, and of course the Saddle Club (talk about whiplash seeing the TV version of that--it got moved to AUSTRALIA, for some weird reason--I get it was a Canada/Australia coproduction, but couldn't they have filmed in, I don't know, Canada?) Never really got into the SVH/SVT books, except one or two--there was one where Elizabeth took up horseback riding, and one where there was some girl who moved from middle-of-nowhere KY or something? (Might even be the same book.)

27. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I loved Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High! I still have most of my old books in my parents' basement. I had the board game too (I was always Lila... she was my favourite because she had brown hair like me :lol: ).

I have to confess, I did buy the new book but I haven't started it yet. How could I resist? :shuffle:

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Heck, I am US born and bred and I had to look up lavaliere in the dictionary to figure it out.

A Spider Fiat isn't a particularly popular car here either, especially with the HS set.

29. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I never read the Sweet Valley books, but I LOVED The Babysitters Club. I think I stopped reading somewhere in the lower 60's. I still have my VHS tapes with the short movies, too. I was also a card-carrying member of the BSC fan club.

I didn't know there was a prequel. I may have to read it...

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh Lord, I remember when my sister was into SVH and Babysitters' Club. So goofy. :) I tried to read some of them, just because I was always poking around in her books, but I didn't get very far. Especially with SVH.