Retrospective: The 1997 World Championships

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 12, 2014.

1. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Geez, that article is so ladies heavy is not even funny.

2. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I know! They should've dedicated at least half of it to the pairs event. I just can't get enough of it.

3. hirtmoles31

hirtmoles31 Member

Slutskaya should have been 2nd in the long program behind Michelle and above Tara given Michelle the title! Her jumps and spins were way better than Tara or Michelle, and both Irina and Tara had no artistry so only technical matters comparing them.

4. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I found the ladies LP hard to judge between the top 3, and I don't know what I would have done. I certainly understand how all 3 had 3 1st places, and you cant really say any of the 9 were wrong as there were valid reasons to be made for any order. I do strongly believe if Irina had done a 7th triple she would atleast been 2nd in the LP, and if she had done a 2nd triple lutz as Tara did probably won the LP. As I was a Kwan fanatic at the time I was furious when she just dropped that a planned triple salchow near the end, as I was pulling for he to help Kwan take the title (although she might have won the LP to push Kwan to 3rd which would have gotten me even more peeved, lol).

It was just great to see 3 women do such a strong LP after overall one of the most lackluster and poor years for ladies skating ever. I was a bit stunned in fact. I expected Tara to do her usual clean skate, and everyone else in the final group to bomb, as that would have been on par with the dreadful quality of skating all season, and the various problems (emotional, physical, equipment, etc...) everyone but Tara seemed to be having. And Michelle and Irina kept tension until the end, boy was Tara nervous after Irina's skate as I am sure she knew the scenario that could play it. It is funny to note though had Irina won the LP, Tara would have won the title even with a 3rd place in the LP. That would probably have been a historic 1st and only time ever under post figures/pre IJS 6.0, or can anyone else think of another instance that happened?

6. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

8th place in the short seemed very generous for Bobek for what she put on the ice. Was 9th place and beyond THAT bad?

7. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Actually, yes, many were. The SP was very poorly skated that year, a handful of clean skates. Some skated cleanly but lacked the difficulty and had a lower basemark. Bobek's spirals and spins were strong and kept her up. With so many mistakes in the field, judges look at other elements and the program.

8. judgejudy27

As much a mess as the ladies SP was, given the caliber of skating of the ladies that year it was actually an improvement, LOL! As scary as that is.

9. Jeanine

Jeanine Active Member

I may be misremembering and correct me if I am, but wasn't this a case where it went down to second place votes, where no-one had a majority of first place ordinals? I have a memory of Simon and Chris on Eurosport sounding completely flummoxed when the marks came up for W&S and they were in first place when they had a couple of first and a string of second places; it was one of those fluky results that came up every so often under that system.

I was one of those who really wanted W&S to win, I thought at the time they had been hard done by the previous year, (disclaimer!note, at the time I thought this, experience time and YouTube might change my mind! ) but this was not their finest hour by a long shot.

10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  11. judgejudy27

Even though I am not a fan of the skating of Woetzel & Steuer at all, and consider them probably the weakest team to ever win worlds, I wouldn't have begrudged them winning (even if the event wasn't such a splatfest) had they skated as in most of their prior competitions that year. They had earned their favorite tag for that event by dominating the season, which is why possibly being outskated by E&B and Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze they won the short program, and their program that year was their best ever and worked really well for them (unlike the following season where it just seemed more generic and flat being used a 2nd season). However you have to deliver, and they didn't that night. Eltsova & Buhkov despite the one mistake did, and Kazhakova & Dmitriev, and even Ina & Dungen that night did as well. The judges marked their season rather than their skate that night and that isn't right. I understand with their season them getting the benefit of doubt if it were at all close, but they really blew it that night. It reminds me of the 95 world pairs result somewhat, where the judges overlooked a subpar skate that night by the team in line to win that year. Although Kovarikova & Novotny ateast skated better than W&S did the night of the 97 worlds.

12. Clay

Clay Active Member

alchemy void and Coco like this.
  13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

skatesindreams and sadya like this.
  14. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

I am a big fan of Lipinski and Kwan, so I am biased. Do not read on if you don't want to. :)

I just rewatched Irina's LP and it really was one of her best skates. I still found her to be noticeably lacking polish and, sorry, but I disagree the poster above; I don't think her landing positions were better than Tara (or Michelle's). I had three tabs open with each program playing in youtube and paused on landings, and to me, it is very obvious which jumps were controlled and clean versus those that were a bit wild. Irina was a natural jumper, but she lacked just finesse. That said, it is still an excellent skate for her! I wish she weren't so eratic with her clean/great skates. She won a lot of titles later though, so she definitely achieved a lot despite not necessarily having a lot of phenomenally clean programs.

Kwan had the best choreography of the night and Taj Mahal is probably my favorite long program from any female in the modern era.

Lipinski was clean and had another excellent freeskate. I guess I am in the minority, but I found her style and presentation very appealing in the program, especially in the middle section. Dick Button also called it mature skating for a 14 year old, for what that's worth. To each their own!

I always found Gusmeroli too sloppy to really enjoy. She definitely had the innovation, expression, difficulty, and big jumps, but there's something just a bit off in her skating for me. Just sayin'.

My LP rankings:

1. Kwan: 5.8/5.9
    2. Lipinski: 5.9/5.8
    3. Slutskaya: 5.8/5.6

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Coco likes this.
  15. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

Fun(?) fact: this is the only Worlds from 1994-2005 that Elena Liashenko did not participate in. I just assumed she was here but UKR only had one spot and it went to Euro bronze medalist Lavrenchuk.

:inavoid:

"she's pretty spiffy!" :lol:

I really like IJS but I miss programs like this.... don't seem to get many voids like this anymore, just a lot of POTO...

sadya, Marco and falling_dance like this.
  16. casken

casken Well-Known Member

ESPN had great coverage of worlds that year. I think they they aired something like 15 ODs.

17. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I agree with everything that has been said about Gusmeroli and winning the sp, she was just the best that night. I never warmed up to Tara, she was so tiny, and her jumps were almost not there, though they were nicely excecuted, I felt I was watching a little child.

I adored Nicole, she had that special spark and I loved her looks and hair and styling. I know it was a shallow focus considering the tragedy of Carlo Fassi, but I still couldn't help notice how lovely she looked. I also loved her power, combined with the soft and balletic moves. Imagine what could have been if Carlo had lived. And her LP dress is one of the best in all of figure skating history.

Czako was a revelation at Euros. Igor Bobrin had done both her programs that year, and suddenly she was world class. She was robbed in the sp, most definitely! Too bad she got injured the year after.

In pairs, I think I'm the only person on this board who was a E&B fan. Their 96-program was great for them, much more personality and emotions than before. You could tell they really enjoyed skating it. In 97 I cheered for them again, but I also liked W&S and can't remember being upset about the result. They're new long program was good move for them, I liked it a lot and still do.

And one more good memory: Eva Maria Fitze's FS. At 14, she looked like the future of German skating, landing everything, exploding with joy, sporting the biggest grin. What later happened to her makes me so sad, but I'm glad she made her comeback in pairs, she always looked so happy skating then!

18. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Further down the top 10, we had some interesting stories:

• in their respective debuts at the World Championships, Michael Weiss (7th) and Jeff Langdon (9th) both finished top 10. Langdon helped Canada earn 3 men's berths for the 1998 Olympics (the only country to achieve this after the withdrawal of Alexei Urmanov and Dan Hollander not making it out of the qualifying round)
    • in his first World Championship appearance representing Azerbaijan, Igor Pashkevich finishes a career high 8th
    • Takeshi Honda secured 2 spots for Japan at their home Olympics in Nagano by placing 10th
    • Eric Millot's last World Championship appearance resulted in a 12th place finish (unfortunate as he did place 3rd in the qualifying round).
    • Julia Lautowa's second appearance at the World Championships would end up being her highest ever finish (8th)
    • Julia Lavrenchuk backed up her European bronze with a 9th place finish, securing Ukraine 2 Olympic berths
    • Olga Markova's final World Championship appearance resulted in a 12th place finish, but that placement was just enough for Russia to retain 3 Olympic berths (in the first year of total placements determining following year berths, all 3 placements counted for those countries who had 3 entries per discipline at 1997 Worlds).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    paskatefan and Maofan7 like this.
  19. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Thanks for the top 10 recap. I remember this being the year the Quads broke out in the men's.

Carlo Fassi was mentioned, Nicole Bobek wasn't his only student at those Worlds. Cornel Gheorge of Romania was also coached by Fassi and had to skate that same day, he skated well, I think he was 13th.

Where was Candelero? I think he may have been injured.

20. irinayunafanatc

irinayunafanatc Member

I would score the ladies long as

1. Slutskaya- technical merit 6.0, artistry 5.8
    2. Kwan- technical merit 5.6, artistry 5.8
    3. Lipinski- technical merit 5.7, artistry 5.4

The ladies short

1. Czacko- technical merit 5.8, artistry 5.8
    2. Gusmeroli- technical merit 5.8, artistry 5.6
    3. Lipinski- technical merit 5.6, artistry 5.5
    4. Slutskaya- technical merit 5.5, artistry 5.6
    5. Kwan- technical merit 5.4, artistry 5.7
    6. Butyrskaya- technical merit 5.5, artistry 5.5

douglasottawa likes this.
  21. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  22. Clay

Clay Active Member

Remarkable that Cornel Gheorghe competed in the long.
    His coach was with him in the kiss in cry after the short program, but passed away between short and long.
    Nicole Bobek was with Cornel in the kiss and cry after the long. He was incredibly composed through the whole program. I believe I have the program saved on my computer somewhere.

Jeanine and douglasottawa like this.
  23. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I know. That takes a special focus, like Joannie Rochette in 2010. It was touching seeing Nicole there to support him. I felt bad for her, too. Whatever her flaws were, this was not her fault and she did find a coach she could work with. Also kudos to Robin Cousins for supporting Nicole, what a classy guy.

24. railroad38

railroad38 New Member

Nicole would have won the 97 world title if her coach had not died.

25. railroad38

railroad38 New Member

You have Irina too far behind Michelle and Tara score wise, and to give Irina only the same technical score as Michelle is just wrong.

26. railroad38

railroad38 New Member

The pairs event sucked. Just a fugly mess. You must be confusing with another year.

27. railroad38

railroad38 New Member

Sorry I should have said the pairs long programs sucked. The pairs shorts that year were really well skated.

28. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Oddly, the one contender who did make a mistake in the short program (Kazakova/Dmitriev) might have won the title had they skated in the final group instead of the next-to-last group.

yunatripleflip likes this.
  29. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Sarcasm. ;)

30. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It was B&S's first worlds (partnering with each other), and they skated a beautiful SP (Millions waltz). I still remember how happy Elena looked in that performance. In the LP they fell apart (4 falls; 2 by each) and finished 9th or something overall. We could see their potential though.

sadya and yunatripleflip like this.