Retrospective: The 1997 World Championships

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 12, 2014.

1. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I thought Todd should've won the short program but he was hampered by skating third in the short program and his scores were low. I never thought Urmanov was that great of a spinner in comparison and with all else being the same (triple-triple combo, triple litz, double axel clean) I thought that would've carried more weight in the scoring, but skate order really affected this most likely.. Shame that Urmanov got injured and had to witthdraw.. I'm glad the ISU chanegd the way they determined spots in furture years as a result of these World Championships.. Russia lost a spot due to Urmanov's withdrawl, the US lost a spot in pairs despite having pairs place 4th and 5th.. I'm sure there are other instances but these two are the one's that come to mind.. I miss the days where ABC and ESPN would show the top two groups..

paskatefan likes this.
  2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This is my take for the ladies:

Short:

1. Gusmeroli 5.8/5.8
    2. Czako 5.7/5.7
    3. Lipinski 5.6/5.7
    4. Kwan 5.4/5.9
    5. Butyrskaya 5.6/5.6

Free:
    1. Kwan 5.7/5.9
    2. Lipinski 5.8/5.7
    3. Slutskaya 5.8/5.6
    4. Butyrskaya 5.4/5.7
    5. Gusmeroli 5.5/5.6

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

That means Irina's presentation must be wretched, if Tara's is better.

4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

:wall:

Karpenko likes this.
  5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Good rankings ! I have to rewatch Czako's SP to agree with you on everything.

6. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Not necessarily. It could be Michelle, (big gap), Tara, (small gap), Irina.

ETA: This is what could be, not my opinion. I actually think Tara's presentation was noticeably better than Irina's at this point. But neither skater's artistry was anywhere near as good as Michelle's.

7. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

LOL ok.

8. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

This is "The Post of the Day"..

Karpenko and skatesindreams like this.
  9. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

PAIRS

10th:
    Peggy Schwarz / Mirko Müller (Germany)

Short Program

ICE DANCE

8th:
    Irina Romanova / Igor Yaroshenko (Ukraine)

Original Dance

9th: Barbara Fusar-Poli / Maurizio Margaglio (Italy)

Original Dance

10th: Margarita Drobiazko / Povilas Vanagas (Lithuania)

Original Dance

Karpenko likes this.
  10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

paskatefan likes this.
  11. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Maofan7 -- thanks for the article. The quote connecting an appreciation of Elvis Stojko to the OJ trial was (IMO) priceless!

12. fenway2

It must be a full moon out.

Thank you for the article. Some observations.

Harsh criticisms of Elvis. I think it's fair to criticize a skater for their skating but criticizing their looks is going too far.

I was never an Elvis fan but I confess that his 4th place in the short confused me greatly at the time. Perhaps it's time to rewatch the top 5 shorts.

I had no idea Scott Hamilton's cancer had spread to his lower abdomen. He is a very fortunate man to be alive today.

Kwan's perspective is why I have always liked her and found it easy to cheer for her.

I suspect who the rival coach is that criticized Lipinski's jumps. :blah:

Oh if only Kwan and Lipinski had continued their rivalry. We'd still have 8 years remaining. Although I suspect their final matchups would be at regionals. ;)

I find Toller Cranston fascinating but his OJ remarks were :wideeyes: even for him.

It's a shame that so little attention was given to Urmanov's withdrawal. I was devastated for him.

13. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

Those two programs (it was Faust and R&J, right?) are some of my fav. programs even today. Pity, he didn't deliver there.

I fully agree. They had their best OD and FD that year.

p.s. Was her skirt a bit longer than the one she used at Euros?

14. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I think so, they had red costumes at Euros when they got a lot of 6.0's. I didn't care for it as much as the blue, the blue gave it more of a mystical night-time type of look, the red was too flashy and exotic in comparison IMO. The blue also made me think of princess Jasmine and Aladdin, which is always a pleasant thought.

She recovered brilliantly but it was still an obvious oops. lol

Amantide likes this.
  15. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

You're the best Maofan :rockstar:thanks for posting all of these and all of the others, never really took the time to give you your due. :respec:

Watching the pairs event here again is rather wow. :wideeyes: How about that, I already forgot about it.

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I didn't read the article, but didn't he also make fun of Urmanov's skating style and costumes?

17. fenway2

I don't know. In the linked article, a Russian coach criticizes Elvis' face, body and hair. He can't help those things. Aside from maybe the hair, Elvis is stuck with those things so it's low to make fun of them.

paskatefan likes this.
  18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I had forgotten about her. But that performance was amazing. I had given Gusmeroli the nod because her program had more details and better execution.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Being a fan of both Todd & Elvis, I was happy for both of them to be on the podium. I was hoping that Todd would successfully defend his 1996 World title, but he did have that fall on the second triple axel so late in the program, so it was not to be. Elvis had a great free skate, so I can't quibble with that.

20. Kecasyl

Kecasyl Member

I love that FS of Michelle's! I still remember watching it live and my jaw dropping. Also, watching all the Ice Dance from back in the day makes me miss what it used to be. Today's dance doesn't compare IMHO.

Nours likes this.
  21. montrealsurfa

montrealsurfa New Member

I would have scored the ladies long programs as:

1. Slutskaya- 5.9 technical, 5.7 presentation
    2. Kwan- 5.6 technical, 5.9 presentation
    3. Lipinski- 5.7 technical, 5.8 presentation

Not sure how the results would have come out. Czako should have won the short program though and was placed only 5th. Terrible judging

Pasha and her lapdog partner had a bad skate and shouldn't have won.

22. briancoogaert

I've just rewatched Gusmeroli and Czako SP.
    Iwould have put Vanessa Gusmeroli in front of Czako, easily.
    Every element by Gusmeroli was perfect. She had huge jumps, very clean, a Lutz combo, a good 2Axel from spiral. Her spins were always good with nice variations.

23. fenway2

I just rewatched Gusmeroli as well. That was sensational. Had she been American or Russian, she'd have won the short program for sure. It also didn't help that she had an underwhelming resume before that worlds. Now I'm off to watch Joan of Arc, one of my favorite "forgotten" programs by a top skate.

24. volturemean

volturemean New Member

Vanessa probably was deducted for her sloppy ponytail, and that is why she didn't win the short program. It should have been pulled into a tight bun as appropriate for a lady skater.

25. fenway2

Attitudes like yours are why so many people say figure skating is not a real sport.

A tight bun? Really? Because The Mask screams Italian Renaissance, port de bras or nights at the Bolshoi.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Coco and Kecasyl like this.
  26. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Agreed. But Czako also had huge jumps (slight break at waist) and more difficult jumps. I remember her generally as a sloppy spinner but she actually spun well in that performance. That layback was amazing. I like the idea of the spiral sequence but wish she had held each position just a tad longer.

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

It's so sad but true, especially since this cost Kwan the title.

Element for element, Gusmeroli trumps Lipinski big time. Then again Gusmeroli was 6th at the recent Euros and Lipinski was the reigning GPF champ.

29. fenway2

I don't think Kwan deserved to win the long program so I'm okay with her not winning overall.
    Agreed. She beat Lipinski on every element. I thought Little Women was a lovely program for Lipinski, but Gusmeroli was a lot better that day.

30. briancoogaert

When you know the french judge put Lipinski 1st and Gusmeroli 2nd, Hahahaaaa
    Didier Gailhaguet was furious !!!! And for once, I agree with him.