Retrospective: The 1997 World Championships

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Retrospective moves on to the 1997 World Championships

The key facts in relation to these championships are:

• Elvis Stojko regains the world title which he had lost the previous season to Todd Eldredge, winning the title for the third and final time. Stojko was controversially down in 4th place after the SP, despite have produced a clean program. Alexei Urmanov had led after the SP (with Eldredge second), but Urmanov then had to withdraw from the competition prior to the FS with a groin injury. In the LP, Stojko delivered a superb FS (which included a 4T + 3T combination) to win both the LP and the world title. Eldredge finished 2nd in the FS to take the silver medal.

• A few weeks earlier, Elvis Stojko had landed the 4T + 3T combination for the first time in competition at the 1996/97 Champions Series Final - the first time ever that a quad-triple combination had ever been landed in competition.

• Alexei Yagudin wins the bronze medal at his first ever world championships. The following season, he would go on to win the first of his 4 world titles. In 2002, he would become Olympic champion.

• Tara Lipinski becomes the youngest ever ladies singles world champion (at 14 years 286 days old). The record had previously been held by Sonja Henie who was 14 years 318 days old when she won the world title for the first time in 1927. Lipinski skated a brilliant SP (3Z + 2R combination, 3F, 2A - skating to the soundtrack music from Little Women), to lead after that section (with defending champion, Michelle Kwan, down in 4th after stumbling on the landing of her lutz in her 3Z + 2T combination). Despite finishing 2nd to Kwan in the FS, Lipinski had a sufficient lead from the SP to win the world title. Kwan and Lipinski both skated superbly in their respective LP's (although Kwan doubled out on an intended 3Z), with Lipinski producing a 3R + 3R combination - which became her signature element, which she had landed for the first time at the 1996 U.S. Postal Challenge (becoming the first female skated to land it in competition)

• Mandy Wötzel & Ingo Steuer win the pairs world title for the first and only time, winning both the SP and LP in the process. Defending world champions, Marina Eltsova & Andrei Bushkov, finished 2nd.

• Oksana Grishuk & Evgeni Platov win their 4th consecutive world title easily - winning all sections of the competition. They had missed the first half of the season due to a knee injury to Platov and had split from their coach, Natalia Linichuk (ultimately moving to Tatiana Tarasova). Nevertheless, they made a winning return at the European Championships, which laid the platform for the retention of their world title.

• Carlo Fassi tragically died of a heart attack during the championships.

Here are the videos for the medal winning and other performances:-

MEN'S

Gold: Elvis Stojko (Canada)

Short Program, Free Skate

Silver: Todd Eldredge (USA)

Bronze: Alexei Yagudin (Russia)

4th: Viacheslav Zagorodniuk (Ukraine)

5th: Ilia Kulik (Russia)

7th: Michael Weiss (USA)

9th: Jeffrey Langdon (Canada)

10th: Takeshi Honda (Japan)

WD: Alexei Urmanov (Russia)

Short Program

LADIES

Gold: Tara Lipinski (USA)

Short Program, Free Skate, Profile

Silver: Michelle Kwan (USA)

Short Program, Free Skate, Profile

Bronze: Vanessa Gusmeroli (France)

4th: Irina Slutskaya (Russia)

5th: Maria Butyrskaya (Russia)

6th: Laetitia Hubert (France)

7th: Krisztina Czakó (Hungary)

8th: Julia Lautowa (Austria)

9th: Julia Lavrenchuk (Ukraine)

10th: Eva-Maria Fitze (Germany)

13th: Nicole Bobek (USA)

18th: Fumie Suguri (Japan)

25th: Lu Chen (China)

Short Program

PAIRS

Gold: Mandy Wötzel / Ingo Steuer (Germany)

Short Program, Long Program

Silver: Marina Eltsova / Andrei Bushkov (Russia)

Bronze: Oksana Kazakova / Artur Dmitriev (Russia)

4th: Kyoko Ina / Jason Dungjen (USA)

5th: Jenni Meno / Todd Sand (USA)

6th: Kristy Sargeant / Kris Wirtz (Canada)

7th: Sarah Abitbol / Stéphane Bernadis (France)

8th: Dorota Zagorska / Mariusz Siudek (Poland)

9th: Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze (Russia)

ICE DANCE

Gold: Oksana Grishuk / Evgeni Platov (Russia)

Original Dance, Free Dance

Silver: Anjelika Krylova / Oleg Ovsyannikov (Russia)

Bronze: Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz (Canada)

4th: Sophie Moniotte / Pascal Lavanchy (France)

5th: Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat (France)

6th: Elizabeth Punsalan / Jerod Swallow (USA)

7th: Irina Lobacheva / Ilia Averbukh (Russia)

Original Dance

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    LynnW and Karpenko like this.
  2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Thanks for this, maofan7.

I feel bad for this Worlds, for these reasons:

1. Urmanov had to withdraw after a superb short and after having won Europeans and having the momentum to become relevant again;

2. Kulik was getting great programs from Tarasova that season but they were too complex for him.

3. Kwan couldn't win the title despite having the best programs of her career. The 5/4 split in favour of Lipinski in the short was unlucky but in any event I would have had Kwan solidly in 3rd in the short despite the step out. It was a fast and inspired skate otherwise. Kwan winning the free was fair but I was shocked at the narrow margin of victory and Slutskaya taking ordinals from Kwan. The bronze should have gone to Butyrskaya - one more triple would help.

Amantide and kwanette like this.
  3. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan really had breathtaking programs that year. The detail and precision in the choreography is to die for.

kwanette likes this.
  4. sadya

sadya Active Member

^
    Agreed. Her '97 programs are some of my favourite programs of all time.

Another reason to feel bad about this Worlds is the loss of the lp of Chen. After waiting all season for her programs, it was a disappointment. Didn't Bezic say she didn't remember the choreography anymore? I always hoped perhaps one day Chen would skate it in some exhibition, so we could still watch it.

5. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Yes, that is my favorite Kwan SP, such a shame on the step-out. Gusmeroli's Mask SP is a favorite too.

I would have had them in the SP:

1. Gusmeroli - Interesting, complex , tough elements. Not nearly the finesse and polish of the Americans, but her elements and choreo were were much better than Tara's.

2. Lipinski - Peformed with such ease and confidence, but the flip and the flutz were the same jump, and axel was roller derby quality. Nice speed and polish.

3. Kwan - I would have this .2 higher on the presentation mark than any other. A mesmerizing program, if not for the step out an easy first place.

4, Butyrskaya - Clean and well done , well presented but I thought Kwan was on another level in sophistication, Gusmeroli in complexity.

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The back story to Chen Lu's rapid decline was Li Ming Zhu, Chen Lu's coach since childhood, wanted a higher percentage of Chen Lu's earnings, and when she did not get it she capriciously told the Chinese authorities, which were strict old fashion Communists that seized international earnings from citizens, that Chen Lu was hiding money. This destroyed Lulu's main coaching relationship and she was also restricted in terms of where she lived and who she was associated with, which essentially cut her off from world-class coaches and choreographers.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Oh yes. This is as sad as not being able to see Kwan's 2006 Olympic long program. And, much like Kwan in 2006, we only get to see one single weak performance of her short program. {The silver lining in this was probably that she finally got her act together one last time in Nagano.}

Another sad moment was of course the passing of Carlo Fassi, not only for the sadness in itself and the great loss for the skating world, but also its impact on Bobek. She was supposedly back on track with her training and delivered a solid free skate at Nationals and apparently also at Worlds Qualifying (2nd). If she could produce a clean short and a solid long with 5 triples, she would make top 5 (possibly medal?) and set herself up nicely for the Olympic season.

sadya likes this.
  8. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Back to Kwan a minute.. I'm pretty sure if COP were scored here, she would've Yu-Na Kim'ed this competition.

The Ice Dance event is also an all-time fav. I still have "The Feeling Begins" and "Masquerade Waltz" in my top 5 FD's ever, TFB I would've given a 10 for choreography and would've also done it on P/E and Interpretation if not for the little slip on the lift exit and the ending behind the music. That program is the only one that projects the mood of the piece, for me it is so on-point that it's as if the music were written just for them to skate that program. Oksana esp. was just perfect with the interpretation of the music.

Amantide and kwanette like this.
  9. coraczek

coraczek Member

While I think G/P deserved 1s place in OD, I wouldn't have given them 1st place in FD, where they made obvious errors.

10. rickmercer

rickmercer Active Member

I agree K&O should have won the FD, but K&O also should have been 3rd or 4th in the Golden Waltz where they had a stumble. Thus there is no question of G&P deserving the title.

I would have had Slutskaya winning the womens title The short program results should have been:

1. Gusmeroli
    2. Lipinski
    3. Czako
    4. Butyrskaya
    5. Kwan
    6. Slutskaya

and the long programs:

1. Slutskaya- 5.9 technical, 5.8 presentation
    2. Kwan- 5.7 technical, 5.9 presentation
    3. Lipinski- 5.8 technical, 5.8 presentation

Which would lead to final overall results of Slutskaya gold, Lipinski silver, Kwan bronze

I would have had Eldredge winning the mens short program and thus the title.

Eltsova & Bushkov were robbed of their 2nd world title since Woetzel & Steuer had their worst skate of the year. Ina & Dungen were robbed of the bronze.

11. rickmercer

rickmercer Active Member

The passing of Fassi was very sad for everyone but don't be so silly to put Nicole's problems down to that. Just look at Nagano. There was nothing special about her skating at Nationals btw, losing to a meltdown from Kwan, and only making the team since Kwiatkowski bombed.

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

IMO, that proves Figure Skating's judging can't please everyone, and can't be objective.
    Really, how can you explain the marks and rankings you would have given in the LP ? :confused:

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Kwan's Taj Mahal LP was one of my all time favorites. Who was the composer of this music?

14. rickmercer

rickmercer Active Member

Quite easy. The power and quality of Irina's jumps, the speed and power of her skating, and the quality of her spins blow both Michelle and Tara away. Her technical difficulty was higher than Michelle, but lower than Tara, but the quality of power in the delivery of her technical elements (she could literally jump right over Tara if they were doing the same jump at once) she does so blows away Tara she still deserves the highest technical mark of all 3. Michelle deserves the highest artistic mark of the 3. Thus Tara with neither the best technical or best artistic takes only 3rd place in the long program. 3 judges agreed with me, while the other 6 probably had already wroten Irina off after a poor season, poor short program, and injury I practice. Christine Brennan even reported at the time some judges admitted they would have scored Irina higher but they never expected her skate after all that had happened, and so had not left room for her.

David21 and AxelAnnie like this.
  15. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I've always felt strongly that Czako was totally robbed in the sp. It should have been between her and Gusmeroli for 1st.

16. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

This made me LOL.. The quality of Irina pumping her back and hideous posture should've negated the jumps.. As for presentation, Irina was nowhere in the same LEAGUE as Kwan and even Lipinski, who, despite being 14 and still with an emerging style, had better programs and artistic presence than Slutskaya.. Thank goodness then that there was no room left because Irina potentially winning the LP with that craptastic program and finishing ahead of Kwan would've sucked..

BaileyCatts and kwanette like this.
  17. Vash01

In ice dance both G&P (The feeling begins) and K&O (Masquerade waltz) had two of my most favorite FDs. I really can't pick between the two. I would have been OK with K&O winning, but the judges went for the reigning world and Olympic champions. I was OK with that too, but would have preferred K&O's win. They had won every competition except the GPF that season.

ITA about Y&B being robbed when W&S were crowned pairs champions with two major mistakes (on both throws, I think). I believe the judges did not want Y&B to become two time world champions. They were not that popular with fans, but they really skated well (except for a fall on the sbs jumps).

18. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Kwan really did have the best programs of her career in 1997. Her FS that year would choreographically fit in to what the top ladies in the world are doing in the current COP. The program was intricate and packed with transitions and choreography, and it all fit the music so perfectly and built to an amazing climax at the end. It's too bad she lost the desire to do such intricate programs late in her career.

19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I agree that E&B should have won pairs, which wasn't a popular sentiment at the time as E&B were considered just another generic Russian pair and their program was kind of blah. It also seemed like a lot of people, fans and judges alike, just wanted W&S to finally win worlds. I would have had K&D first in the FS though.

Speaking of which, I re-watched K&D's Olympic winning FS recently, and minus Artur doubling the first sbs triple, the rest of the 97 Worlds performance was superior in every way to the Olympic skate. More speed, flow, better timing, better landings on the throws, the one arm lift actually went to one arm, they didn't just awkwardly skate through the third lift, etc. I think this was their most "in sync" performance as a pair. To this day I still can't track down that particular version of Passacaglia that they used though. :(

Andora likes this.
  20. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

I did not know that things like posture are considered in the 1st mark now. And I did not know which "craptastic" program you were watching but it certainly wasn't Slutskaya's.

In general, I agree with rickmercer - Gusmeroli should have won the SP and Slutskaya should have won the LP...not sure how the Medals would have been distributed with these results, though.

Vash01 likes this.
  21. Vash01

K&D skated the LP better than both W&S and Y&B. Their only mistake was Artur doubling his sbs 3t. However, he also doubled it in the SP, and the judges (unfairly, IMO) penalized their entire LP performance because of it.

robinhood likes this.
  22. eurodance2001

So landing bent over as well as back pumping is not part of technique? Ok, sure....

kwanette likes this.
  23. David21

There are lots of technical things which were considered in the 2nd mark, Sherlock.

24. eurodance2001

http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=419

The required elements or technical merit mark expresses a judge's evaluation of the quality of the elements skated. For the short program, the mark reflects the quality of the required elements, and for the free skate it reflects the difficulty, variety, cleanness and speed of the elements chosen.

Bending over and back pumping is not very clean.. Just saying... and if these are to be considered in the 2nd mark as you stated, then there is NO WAY Slutskaya deserved 5.9's for that performance..

kwanette likes this.
  25. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I don't know why some Kwan fans get pissy whenever someone has an opinion that does not match theirs. That said, it's hilarious to see so many fans placing Slute 1st or 2nd in the free skate in hindsight now to justify a Kwan or Slute win. After she skated in Lausanne, so many people ragged on her awful program and sloppy skate but 17 years later, it was robbed. :biggrinbo

The ladies finish was the right finish. I might have even given Lipinski the win in the long. She got hurt by the skate order anyway and might have won the segment if she skated later back. Kwan was tight and scared until more than halfway into her skate and then she finally opened up and promptly doubled her lutz. Just because it was a spectacular comeback for her that season doesn't mean it was a spectacular skate overall. Was Taj Majal a spectacular program? Yes. Was Kwan's skate at worlds spectacular? No. It was still very good though.

nubka likes this.
  26. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Bobek did not lose to Kwan when she melted down in the LP as Bobek placed 2nd in that segment and Kwan was 3rd. Nicole only lost to Michelle at the '97 Nationals because she buried herself in the SP after stepping out of her 3flutz combination and doubling her intended 3toe out of steps, which dropped her to 6th place in the SP and out of the final group. It's very well documented that Nicole did not train properly. Many times she would crash train for Nationals in the 3 weeks leading up to the event and still make the team over other more disciplined ladies. At the 1997 Nationals, she was reportedly landing 3flutz+3toe in the practices and the warmups of the event and at the 1998 Nationals, she had been landing 3toe+3toe in the practices. Imagine how well Nicole could have done if she had had Tara's or Michelle's work ethics. One could always count on Tonia Kwiatkowski to meltdown at Nationals; it's not Nicole's fault that she couldn't keep her nerves together. As for Nagano, it's pretty well known that Nicole suffered a hip injury between Nationals and the Olympics, which derailed her preparation for the Olympics. Also, it's pretty visible on the coverage that Bobek had put on a noticeable amount of weight from the Nationals to the Olympics. Even at the Olympics, there were reports that in one practice, she would land everything and then miss everything in practice the next day. In the warmup before her Olympic LP, she was solidly landing her 3flutz, 3flip, 3Salchow, and 3toe, but when the actual performance came, she missed all of those jumps and then nailed the 3loop, "the jump she couldn't do." That was Nicole for you though; she was always unpredictable.

27. David21

1. Slutskaya's jumps in that program were very clean so no reason to deduct anything in quality.
    2. Having a not so straight back during the crossovers under 6.0 was a small issue under "posture" which was a part of the 2nd mark how I understood it and most judges most likely did as well.
    3. Marks like 5.9 were only placeholders. E.g. the Austrian judge had to give Slutskaya 5.9/5.9 (without giving out any 6.0s) to place Slutskaya ahead of Kwan and Lipinski because those skaters had already gotten very high marks as well.

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Even though we probably disagree a lot, I like reading your posts because I think you make good points. That said, if I did a shot every time you mention "Kwan fans" then I'd be drunk every time I go on this forum.

kwanette likes this.
  29. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I think you meant "some Kwan fans" which admittedly is a term I use a lot to distinguish between the whack jobs and smart Kwan fans like you. :D
    And let's be honest, I don't see any other kinds of fans going into thread rage on this thread.

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  30. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I'd like to add Joanne Carter to the list. Her performances in Lausanne were a real breakthrough for Australian skaters, particularly for women.

Carter was 10th in the short and 12th in the free, placing 11th overall.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    eurodance2001 likes this.