Retrospective: The 1993 World Championships

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Sep 22, 2013.

1. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I guess I'm one of the few who liked the ladies podium the way it stood. I love Lulu post-1994, but not so much here. She seemed to be waving her arm lyrically (and endlessly) without relation to the music, her back pumping was too obvious, that combo spin...weak positions, none of them held, traveling all over the place ...was very novice level. Surya put out a great athletic performance, but she does seem so choppy compared to the others. Oksana had such great showmanship and jumps, sure it wasn't the most sophisticated LP but it won both a Worlds and a Olympic Gold Medal, I'm OK with both victories.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I may have mentioned this before, but having seen the 1992 US Nationals in person, Tonya Harding was skating very well during the practices.

On the day of the short program, Tonya appeared to hurt her ankle quite badly with a bad landing on the triple axel combination. You could see how it really affected her performances for the remainder of the competition.

3. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

On the Lisa Ervin SP link, there is also footage of Tonia KuietNowPlease failing to qualify. Normally I'd be sad for such a situation, but in her case, I can't help but think:

MuaHaHaHaHaHA!....No more haircutters for you! Buh-bye Tonia, shoulda sent Tonya!
    :EVILLE:

I know I am mean. But I am not sorry :lol:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear. She admits in her documentary she barely trained the 3 months leading to Albertville, except some last ditch efforts to cram in some hard training after the USFSA started monitoring her and threatening not to send her (that is what I based my beliefs on, her own words, not some heresay from her psycho ex husband and the always excuse making Rawlinson who I always take with a grain of salt). It sounds like she was still capable of skating at an Olympic Gold medal level until her injury at Nationals though. I wonder how that also affected her at the Games, along with the jet lag.

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. I think it's the first time I watch them !
    And OMG...the costume this time...the lace in lillehammer...Poor, poor Tonya...so unlucky...

6. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Tonya skating cleanly with 5 triples would have taken 4th place over Sato at the 93 Worlds
    Tonya skating cleanly with 7 triples would have taken bronze over Chen.
    Tonya skating cleanly with triple axel would have taken gold medal over Baiul.

7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I forgot which commentator (Scott?) insinuated that it was more likely self-sabotage than bad luck.

8. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Scott Hamilton never liked Tonya and never gave her credit. He even implied her marks in the long program at the 92 Olympics were too high, when they were really too low and she should have beaten Kerrigan's bad skate in the long program. He was a huge Nancy fan and always raved how amazingly artist she was which nobody but him seemed to see.

9. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I know it's getting a little off what the original topic was, but I was just reminded of this practice clip of Tonya doing amazing triple axels at 94 Nationals practices;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYViHpq1KTs

Again, Tonya doesn't look as fit as SA or the Olympics, but her triple axels (and the rest of her jumps) were so spot on here. I wonder what happened that caused Tonya to lose the triple axel in competition, because she singled it here in the FS despite doing some of the best ones ever in practice, and I've seen practice and warm up vids from 92 also where she clearly had it under control but would take huge spills in the competition skate.

It wasn't like she lost the jump, something just happened to the jump in competition. The ankle thing would explain 92 Nats I guess, but the rest of the time it seemed like something would happen to the timing and she wouldn't even come close to landing it. The axels in this vid just came so easily.

BTW, does anyone know who the girl is that cut Tonya off and caused Tonya to say "Not smart!"? I wonder if she feared for her life after that. :lol:

10. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

This is an article by EM Swift from Sports Illustrated that goes through the purported plans to take out Nancy and starts with speculation that it all started at NHK where Tonya felt her final placement was not fair. Note that it starts by stating that she MISSED her combination (a fall) in the short program

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004829/index.htm

Per Wikipedia, Tonya finished 7th in the short, so she must have been well less than clean. I think the judging story was yet another Tonya fantasy excuse for her own poor performance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_NHK_Trophy

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Hmmm thanks for that. So it seems that the Harding book (which had numerous inaccurate facts) was completely wrong in their claim Harding had a clean short program. What was funny was the book also quoted Harding as after the short program as saying "both Erika and I thought we were gyped, the rest fell on their butts." That doesnt imply she had skated cleanly neccessarily though. Based on Ivanova, the #3 Ukranian skater who would place outside the top 20 in Lillehammer, finishing 2nd in the short, I presume it must have been an extremely messy short program there (and Tonya must have skated poorly as well). Perhaps she was upset lots of people had made mistakes, yet she was dumped below many of the others for similar mistakes? Bonaly and Chen were reigning World medalists and above her stature wise at that point though, so would be more likely to be forgiven a big short program miss than she was by then.

Then the long program she might have felt she skated well and was upset she was only 4th in that phase itself. Then again if she did the long program she did at Nationals she would have had only 5 triples, no triple combinations of any kind, and that sort of program is easily beatable even skated well by the Worlds contenders around then (unless it were skated by Baiul of course). Plus being 7th in the short she wasnt even skating in the final flight of NHK.

Still I guess it was the frusteration of that event, and the subtle signals she was viewed as not amongst the real contenders for Lillehammer- Kerrigan, Baiul, Chen, Sato, Bonaly, that led her to a rage and what would soon follow.

12. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

That was Lisa Ervin.

13. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I'm not sure what happened to her timing of her 3A either. She would tilt in the air on that jump and if her timing was off even a fraction she was going down. I guess it was just hit or miss in terms of practice. What is more disturbing though is she didn't even attempt combinations anymore in competitions in her LPs. Other than Baiul all the top skaters were attempting a second Lutz and/or combos or series at this time. We know Harding was one of the best athlethes in the sport, so why she watered down her content in competition at this time is also baffling.

14. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

15. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member