Retrospective: The 1988 World Championships

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Retrospective moves on to the 1988 World Championships.

The key facts in relation to these championships are:-

• As is usually the case at the end of each quadrennium, these championships would be the final competition for many of the participants, including in this case, Boitano, Orser, Witt, Manley, Thomas, Valova & Vasiliev, and Bestemianova & Bukin

• Kurt Browning lands the first ever ratified 4T in his LP

• Brian Boitano followed up his 1988 Olympic win, by winning his 2nd and final world title. Brian Orser was the defending world champion coming into this competition. However, he finished 5th in the compulsories and 2nd in the short program, thereby leaving himself with far too much to do to catch Boitano (who led entering the free skate). Hence, despite winning the free skate section with an excellent long program, which earned him three 6.0's, Orser finished 2nd overall again. Boitano attempted a 4T in his FS, but had a step out on a 2 footed landing.

• Katerina witt ended her amateur career at these championships by winning her 4th world title (to add to her 2 Olympic titles). Her nemesis throughout her career had been the compulsories, and low finishes in that section had cost her both the 1982 and 1983 world titles (that is, her scores in the SP & FS were such that she would have won those world titles had there been no compulsories). However, unusually, in these championships, she actually won the compulsories, and a 2nd placed finish in the SP (won by Thomas), meant that she led going into the LP. She then won the FS section with her Carmen LP, to take the title.

• Ekaterina Gordeeva was ill with a head cold during these championships. However, Gordeeva & Grinkov managed to lead entering the LP. Nevertheless, during the FS, Ekaterina fell on a throw triple salchow, which allowed Valova & Vasiliev to overtake them and take the title

• Bestemianova & Bukin win their 4th consecutive world title, to add to their 1988 Olympic title.

Here are the videos in relation to the medal winning performances:-

MEN'S

Gold: Brian Boitano (USA)

Short Program, Free Skate

Silver: Brian Orser (Canada)

Short Program, Free Skate, Exhibition, Interview

Bronze: Viktor Petrenko (USSR)

4th: Grzegorz Filipowski (Poland)

5th: Christopher Bowman (USA)

6th: Kurt Browning (Canada)

Short Program, Free Skate, Interview

7th: Heiko Fischer (West Germany)

Short Program

LADIES

Gold: Katarina Witt (East Germany)

Short Program, Free Skate, Medal Ceremony, Interview

Silver: Elizabeth Manley (Canada)

Short Program, Free Skate, Interview

Bronze: Debi Thomas (USA)

Short Program, Free Skate, Exhibition, Profile

4th: Claudia Leistner (West Germany)

Free Skate

5th: Jill Trenary (USA)

6th: Midori Ito (Japan)

Short Program, Free Skate, Exhibition

7th: Caryn Kadavy (USA)

PAIRS

Gold: Elena Valova & Oleg Vasiliev (USSR)

Short Program, Long Program

Silver: Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov (USSR)

Bronze: Larisa Selezneva & Oleg Makarov (USSR)

4th: Gillian Wachsman & Todd Waggoner (USA)

Long Program

5th: Denise Benning & Lyndon Johnston (Canada)

6th: Jill Watson & Peter Oppegard (USA)

Long Program

7th: Isabelle Brasseur & Lloyd Eisler (Canada)

9th: Christine Hough & Doug Ladret (Canada)

ICE DANCE

Gold: Natalia Bestemianova & Andrei Bukin (USSR)

Original Set Pattern, Free Dance

Silver: Marina Klimova & Sergei Ponomarenko (USSR)

Bronze: Tracy Wilson & Robert McCall (Canada)

Original Set Pattern, Free Dance, Exhibition, Interview

4th: Natalia Annenko & Genrikh Sretenski (USSR)

Free Dance

5th: Kathrin Beck & Christoff Beck (Austria)

Free Dance

6th: Isabelle Duchesnay & Paul Duchesnay (France)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Kurt Browning skated a clean LP to the Grand Canyon suite rest of the way, thus establishing himself as a skater to watch in the next quadrennium. He won the next 3 world championships (89,90,91) and one more (in 93).

IIRC Browning landed the first quad (toe loop) in a competition. He had a turnout on the landing but the judges ratified it. Does anyone have a yt of Josef Sabovcek's quad landed in 1984 or 85 or 86? It was not ratified.

By the time Boitano took the ice, Browning had already landed a quad, so Boitano could not be the first one to land it, but he really wanted to land a quad in a competition, so he went for it but underrotated and 2-footed it. It did not affect the rest of his program though. It wasn't as great as in Calgary, but still good enough to place 2nd in the LP, which was enough to win him the gold.

Christopher Bowman had a fanstastic free skate to Hangarian Rhapsody. He established himself as the next one, after Boitano's retirement. He won the silver at the next worlds (89)

Valova-Vasiliev's LP performance was perhaps their best ever. I really liked it. I was happy that they regained their world title in their last eligible appearance.

Brian Orser's LP was one for the ages. It was nice to see him finish on a high note. If not for the compulsories, Orser would have won the 1984 OGM and the 1988 world championship.

Oddly Midori was not as perfect as in the Olympics, but still better than most of the ladies. She was the future of ladies skating -and the next world champion- and we could see why, in 1988.

Rest of the results were almost a repeat of the 1988 Olympics. Those days Olympic medal winners did compete in world championships just one month later.

3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think, at that time, the ISU granted recognition to multiple skaters if they performed in the same portion of the same competition because multiple skaters can not share the ice at the same time and the higher ranked skaters would be at a disadvantage for entering the record books because they skate at the end of competitions . . . I think it might still be this way.

ETA:shuffle: Ever time I look at the footage of Boitano's attempt, I see a fully rotated 4T/1Lp. I don't think the 1Lp was intentional, but the jump pass does look like it has single-footed landings with no step out.

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I see a 2-footed quad and it seems Brian didn't know what to do wth his free leg, so, he did this 1Loop after that. Very minded ! But to me, the quad is 2-footed.
    Anyway, it's not as if Kurt Browning's quad was perfectly clean !

5. Vash01

Boitano definitely underrotated the quad by 1/2 turn.

6. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Sabovcik attempted the 4T in his LP at the 1986 European Championships. Here is a YT link to it. It was recognised as a 4T at the championships, but declared invalid 3 weeks later due to a touchdown with his free foot

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vash01

Thanks for the link! I think the ISU is correct. He two-footed the jump- but it was only a slight scrape-, so it could not be ratified. However, Kurt's quad should not have been ratified either because he had a turnout on the landing. He did complete the 4 rotations and landed on one foot. May be that was good enough, according to the rules. Since then we have seen wonderful quads. If not for these pioneers and another one (Stojko who even did it in combination), we might not have seen the quads as part of FS. Kudos to them for being the first ones.

8. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I guess I mostly just notice the mullets.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Didn't Boitano have a big flip out on the landing of his Quad? I'm sorry. I'm at work and can't watch the video.

I thought ladies were generally less exciting than Calgary - Ivanova didn't compete, right? Debi had almost the same mistakes in the LP as at Calgary. Liz had a wild landing on her 3z (I thought she was going to splat), and had a 2-foot on another triple. Kat doubled 2 triples (loop and sal) and a pop on an axel I think. Trenary splatted on her opening 3flip but was otherwise OK. Kadavy bombed. Ito was really hot and cold, too. Leistner did pretty well for herself, though!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. alfongsucks

alfongsucks New Member

wow I never knew that Kadvey competed in those worlds. I thought she had an ovarian cyst after having been sick at the Olympics.

11. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Well, this was a typical post-Olympics Worlds. For the men, only Orser gave a championship performance IMO. For the women, Manley and Thomas had gold in their hands and threw it away (and WHAT was up with Witt winning compulsories???). Trenary wasn't so bad, and Ito was below perfect but was still strong. The pairs, well, good for V/V for ending their career on a high note, and good for Wachsman and Waggoner for a surprisingly good performance.

As for Boitano's quad, well, it looked OKAY. A two foot, plus that TADA on the single loop landing, which he always seemed to do if he flubbed a jump, just TADA a single loop or 2sal. uggh. Plus for a 24 y/o man, his presentation was quite pedestrian and stiff.

12. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Whilst it was pretty typical of a post Olympic worlds in that almost everybody was down on their Olympic form, one of the things I liked about these Worlds was that at least, unlikely many post Olympic world championships since, all of the Olympic champions attended.

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And almost the exact same podium. lol

14. bardtoob

The ISU really did not like two-footed jumps back then. Such a difference from now with the IJS!

Kurt's was not perfectly clean, but it was about as clean as Vern Taylor's 3A at 1978 Worlds.

15. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

She was forced to withdraw from the Olympic LP due to flu. The problem with the ovarian cyst did not come until well after the 1988 World Championships, with the cyst being removed in December 1988. A stress fracture to her right ankle a few weeks later, then forced her to pull out of 1989 U.S. Nationals. She then retired and turned professional

16. Vash01

Caryn Kadavy really blossomed as a pro skater. She was always a lovely, graceful skater. The pro scene did not have the pressure of doing many triple jumps and Caryn really brought the beauty of her skating to the scene. I think touring with Brian Boitano also helped her a lot in terms of building her confidence. She is one of my all time favorite skaters.

17. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

One additional fact that I have just remembered is that Katarina Witt's parents were able to attend a world championships for the very first time at these championships. The East German government had refused to allow her parents to leave the country to attend a World Championships that were held in the west, fearing their defection. However, as these championships were held in Hungary, they were permitted to attend.

18. Vash01

I remember the commentator mentioning that, and the camera even caught their faces. How nice for them to finally watch their daughter compete!

19. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

20. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

If Ekaterina Gordeeva had not come down with a cold/flu, G&G would probably have won and then it would have been the exact same winners in all 4 disciplines.

21. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Thanks for the link, great read! My favorite part: Boitano was offered a part on Perfect Strangers as Balki's long lost cousin!?! :lol: Please told me he accepted, what an epic opportunity!

PeterG, Maofan7, Cherub721 and 3 others like this.
  22. bardtoob

"WE DO THE DANCE OF JOY!!!" :cheer2: :40beers: :cheer2:

23. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Brian Orser's LP. It was brilliant and a great way to come back after the devastation fo the Olympics.

Valova/Vasiliev skated an inspired long program. If they had had one mistake the judges probably would have given it to G/G, but they instead took the opportunity to leave on a very high note.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  24. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Brian Boitano was robbed of winning the LP at this event I thought.

25. Vash01

No way Boitano's performance could have beatern Orser's at the 1988 worlds. He stepped out of the attempted quad (3.5 revolutions) and singled his second 3A. His performance did not have the energy and emotion of his Olympics performance. Orser skated a perfect LP, with two 3As, no mistakes, and his usual charm on the ice. He won hands down on both tech and artistic marks.

26. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Orser's FP was unbeatable with the skaters at that event IMO. It was the skate of his career and probably the best FP ever skated to that point. It wasn't quite as technically strong as Boitano had been in Calgary, but IMO had stronger choreography and better performance ability than Boitano. It wasn't even close that night between Boitano and Orser.

Orser and Browning were the main highlight of this event for me - I love Kurt's story about how he thought he'd blown the quad by having the three-turn on the landing, and getting very angry at himself until halfway through the program, when he saw his teammates going crazy and realizing maybe he actually had been successful. I thought it was pretty impressive that Kurt kept the rest of the program together, as I would have thought the roller coaster of emotions could have really thrown him off. Interestingly, I'm pretty sure Browning landed the next clean quad in competition (much more cleanly) so he would have had the first quad even if the ISU had decided that a three-turn meant it wasn't clean, but it probably helped him to have that monkey off of his back and set him up very well for the next season.

27. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Thanks Maofan7 for the trip down memory lane.. i remember that year so well for figure skating, it was a great year. I really enjoyed both the Olympics and the Worlds - I think Witt skated much better at the Worlds and Manley certainly had the strongest long program. The Brian's continuing battle was epic - and fitting the way it ended up..

28. Vash01

The only more difficult thing Boitano did in the Olympics (than Orser's 88 worlds) was the 3f3t combination, which even men were not doing at that time.

About Kurt's next quad in competition- I don't know if he landed a clean one at the Canadian nationals or one of the GPs. He certainly did not land it clean at the 1989 worlds. He two-footed it.

29. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Kurt's quad was clean as a whistle at 1989 Canadians. It's not on YouTube, but I pulled out my DVD to double check and it was definitely one foot and fully rotated...probably the best quad I'd ever seen him do actually. I would assume the ISU would have ratified (or homologated ;)) the quad at Canadians if the Worlds one had not counted, given that they gave Brandon Mroz credit for the quad lutz at a club competition.

30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

That and Boitano doing a 2nd triple flip (in Calgary), whereas Orser repeated the triple toe, an easier triple. I would still place Orser from Budapest over Boitano in Calgary though, and I am sure the judges would have too considering they very nearly placed the Orser of Calgary which was much weaker than Budapest over the Boitano of Calgary.