Retrospective: The 1988 Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Nov 25, 2012.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

If memory serves me correctly, Sports Illustrated in their medal predictions listed Witt for gold, Thomas for silver, and TRENARY for bronze.

2. Clay

Clay Active Member

3. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Thanks for posting that url, Clay. Zayak sure was hosed there in Sarajevo, wasn't she.

4. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

IIRC they predicted KADAVY as the bronze medalist.

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Zayak had seemed to fall out of favor. TPTB were seemingly all too happy to embrace skaters perceived to be more graceful and refined.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That's my recollection too.

7. Alex Forrest

Houston Chronicle predicted Witt, Thomas, and Trenary. Maybe that was also the AP article, but I remember that. Looking back, Kadavy was spoken about with such codewords like "sensitive", "vulnerable", or "delicate". Remember that? You just know they wanted to say she was a mental trainwreck, a wuss, and not reliable at all as a competitor. But she seemed like a nice young woman and no one wanted to call her on her BS.

And going back down memory lane, I was taken aback by Jill. Or mesmerized, I have no idea. You knew instantly (and I was an 80s child) her personality just by that snappy hairdo. It was not cheap to maintain that hairdo, and she just had that overwhelming sense of B*tch. First of all, you know she hated her parents just for naming her "Jill". I mean WTF kind of name is that? I was friends with a varsity cheerleader like her and NO one's boyfriend was safe or off limits if she came in to a party and was in a mood. I could watch Jill's SP all day just because of the shoulder pads (is she the first and only to skate with shoulder pads?) the snappy 'do, and just the total b*tchiness she skated with. She also skated to Irma La Douce like Manley, but while Manley portrayed basically a girl-woman cartoon, Jill was all business and took no prisoners. If Jill entered a room, other girls (and guys) would hold on to their boyfriends extra closely. Who knows what she's up to.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  8. essence_of_soy

Well, the 'Jill' factor certainly got Christopher Dean hooked for a time.:D:scream:

When he did commentary for Australian TV, he said Trenary had a cover girl look about her. I bet Isabelle made him sleep on the couch that night for that comment.

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Didn't the pairs competition at Calgary '88 resemble a 3-country competition between the USSR, USA and Canada? - 3 Soviet teams, 3 American teams, and 3 Canadian teams. There was a GDR team thrown in for good measure who I thought were promising but inconsistent.

Outside of G/G and V/V, it was IMO actually rather mistake ridden and uneventful. I never considered W/O even one of the great teams from the U.S. and w/ mistakes, they ended up w/ a bronze. The Canadian teams of B/J and B/E were rather new and not fully realized. W/W had a few nice qualities but they didn't even seem to enjoy skating w/ one another.

10. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

LOL. How many years did she have that hairdo? I think I've only seen a quick glimpse of her with long hair and she looked 10x better with it.

If you think Jill is a WTF name, what about "Caryn". Just spell it Karen! I don't understand when parents think they are being unique by changing the spelling of common names... I.e. Rachael, Alissa, Caydee, etc.

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Roz had a similar hairstyle in 83 and 84. Tonia K. and even Holly Cook had similar hair. That was THE HAIR to have back in the days.

What's wrong with the name Jill? It's better than say a Martha or an Agnes, IMO.

12. Alex Forrest

It's the plainest name on the planet, and Jill was anything but plain. She looked more like a Tiffany or Brittany. IMO. Tiffany Trenary has an attitude to it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  13. Maximillian

Maximillian Well-Known Member

This post makes me so happy! I love, love, love Jill always have and always will. Loved her skating (she did have great basics), loved her dodgy jump landings, loved her bitchiness (you know she made Faasi's life a living hell), and her looks. The fact that she could remotely pull off that hairdo is a testament to how beautiful she was. She was the epitome of American Ice Princess (in the best and worst possible ways)

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  14. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I wonder how Trenary and Kadavy got along when they were training together. Who went to Fassi first? I'm very interested to see how the dynamics were during that time. You know Jill was fuming when Caryn got on the podium at 87 Worlds over her. :lol:

I hope Jill doesn't read figure skating message boards because everything down to her programs and hair has been made fun of ad nauseam over the years.
    Something about her tells me she has thick skin and could look back and laugh at herself though. Are there any recent pics of her or Caryn? Neither of them seem to make any appearances at all.

15. essence_of_soy

If you watch interviews with Jill from 1992 onwards, she is a lot more relaxed and happy. There is one interview where she is asked if she'll consider returning to competition along with a few of the other professional skaters at the time. After watching the 1993 World Championships, she just laughs it off and says something along the lines that the new girls coming in have amazing technical merit, as well as that fire and drive that you need to win.

As good as Jill was, competition must have been tremendously stressful (especially being in the United States at the time where the talent pool was so deep), knowing she had to be at her absolute best every time to win.

16. Alex Forrest

Jill and Caryn were fierce rivals on and off the ice. Whether competing for skating titles, Fassi's attention, boyfriends, just name it. Caryn was said to be worn down by Jill's competitiveness for years after she left eligible skating. IIRC, Carlo spent more time with Caryn, and Christa with Jill because there was so much bad blood there at the Broadmoor.

17. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, the Aquanet Wedge. This hair style was an evolutionary step between the Hamill Wedge of the late 1970s and Aquanet Bangs of the early 1990s. Some skaters, such as Tonya Harding, had careers that spanned the full transition.

18. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks!!!!

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Jill's competition hair might have been responsible for half of the hole in that ozone layer.

21. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

22. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

dean certainly has a thing for divas, doesnt he? well, he's el primo divo himself hehehe. maybe he should hook up with more mild-mannered women to take on his divo-ness. in that case, he and jayne should've married each other ;)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

I've never seen any broadcast/clips with Dean's commentaries (neither of the BBC nor of the Australian TV), but I'd like to know how he commented on these events. Does anyone know if he had commented on the ice dancing event in Calgary, too? We all know that the Duchesnay's career took off that year, merely at the Europeans prior to the Olympics, and they were a main attraction of those games. Is there any clip available of a broadcast with his comments?

...and please, please, don't bring up the thing about Dean and Torvill should've married each other ;-)... there are fan forums with uberfans who are obsessed with the thought that they (T and D) must be, need to be together, would die without each other, absoultely must marry... it's hilarious, and sometimes annoying considering the fact that there are other people in their lives who may find such suggestions offending.

24. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

weeeeelllll, uber-fans can't get jokes or sarcasm, can they? ;)

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

We see it online with some of the crazy Virtue/Moir fans. I believe there's a website dedicated to finding out the truth about their romance and how Skate Canada and V/M are hiding it for some weird PR reason.

26. essence_of_soy

Jayne and Chris were very green and to be honest, simply too shy to commentate well. The co-host, Mike Gibson, a chauvinist pig at the best of times, was pulling teeth just to get them to say anything at all.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I do remember Chris Dean was very complimentary towards Grishuk/Platov during the 1992 Olympics. Who knew that they would end up beating him (and Usova/Platov) two years later in a competition which I believe he felt he should have won.

Since he was commentating in Albertville, I always wondered what his comments were during both Klimova/Ponomarenko and the Duschenays' routines and the scores afterwards.

28. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

That's what I want to know, too. And when there are comments of his from '88, it would be also very interesting. I just remember the broadcasts, vids and clips where he's shown on the commentator's bench, sometimes talking, sometimes just watching.
    Are there any vids on youtube with him commentating?

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Videos with Christopher Dean's 1992 commentary are available at FSVids.

30. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member