Retrospective: The 1984 Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Feb 1, 2012.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Speaking of Pros and the '84 Olympics together in this thread - It's too bad Denise Biellmann couldn't stick around until Sarajevo. She had a good chance of winning ... if she stayed vertical
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Holiday on Ice, Europe, must have offered her an awful lot of $$$$!
  3. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

She has a good chance of winning TODAY if she could land her usual two toe loops and two salchows in combination in competition.. :lol:
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Don't forget about the lutz, and she was able to do a loop at one point
  5. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I'm willing to meet you half way on this one.

Kadavy for example usually attempted 5 triples with 2 3r, 2 3t and a 3s, but never iirc ever pulled. It off once. As a pro she usually tried 3 triple programs, abandoning the pesky 3s and could always at least land a 3r her most difficult triple and money jump.

Similarly, kristi went from the 7 triple lp she usually tried and only once ever pulled off, to 5 triple tech programs, abandoning the pesky 3s and pretty much always landing the 3z her money jump.

I know detractors love to act like pro skaters are lazy gits who quit all the hard stuff the day they turn pro, but it's not really true and it definitely IMHO does damage to all of skating to abuse the pros. $peedy killing off pro skating pretty much took eligable skating down with it, sooo :shuffle:
  6. matti

matti Active Member

I got this impression that 3loop was the easiest triple for Caryn Kadavy, like 3flip and 3lutz were for Kristi Yamaguchi (well, excepting 3toe). Kay Thomson only could do 3lutz. And so on... It all so personal.

BTW - I hate how mastering 3flip and 3lutz gives skaters unfair advantage, because they are so similar...artificial...less than spectacular... Vive Axel jumps! ;)
  7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

They're not that similar, not in this context. Back in the day, you either had one or the other. I'm not sure anyone pre-hamilton/Ito actually had both.
  8. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

If we're talking about Lutz + Flip the only ones I could think off might have been Minoru Sano in the 1970s (landing both in 1977) and maybe Vern Taylor - Jan Hoffman had 3 lutz but no 3 flip