Retrospective: The 1972 Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Mar 19, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think, and please don't jump on me for judging her because I am not, what I noticed is that she seems so reserved. Knowing about her deep faith and interest in sharing that with others, I expected her to be more noticeably joyful. She seems very private and shy. It may just be her nature. She dresses a bit gloomy too. I mean compare her to the other USA ladies stars-- all are glamorous or artsy in some way. Tenley is a little reserved, but then she wears crazy flowers in her hair at events. Nothing wrong at all with being yourself outwardly, but please understand I am just responding to her from my expectations of what has been typical of a USA ladies star.

2. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Janet never was comfortable with being the center of attention despite the whole world adoring her skating, and her values emphasized being humble, so she has never gotten comfortable with it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yes but my original point is that one fall in the free skate at Olys does not warrant calling Nepela's free skate "very poor." Careful with words, please. However, feel free to call Trixie's free skate "very poor"...because it was.

4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

That sentence alone just sums up how amazing Rodnina was.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Janet never considered herself the star.

Rather, God working through her, allowed her to share the gift He gave her with the world; for His purposes.
    IMO, He did!

The transformation described, from the Hersh article:

6. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

There's a difference between being quiet/private and rude. If you don't want to be bothered by someone, you don't tell them to contact you in the future. You simply say, "Thank you, but I'm not interested." Now, I'm not saying that Lynn is being intentionally rude, but objectively speaking, ignoring someone whom you asked to contact you again is rude behavior. I have a great deal of respect for Lynn too, so I'm not saying that out of dislike or anything. Oh well, one can only conclude she really doesn't want to be interviewed. ;)

7. Minou

Minou Member

8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I have a copy of and have read Janet's book; she is a VERY religious Christian and views her life as devoted to God. The only spotlight she has ever been comfortable in is the one on the ice where she could express her joy and love incredibly. And she viewed her skating as a both a gift from and to God. She prefers to live a quiet existence around her family. She's not rude, just very reserved.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Yazmeen!

10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Did Trixie Schuba feel like Patrick Chan does when everybody complains about him winning? ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is strange to keep hearing Schuba did mostly only singles in her free skate, as she was capable of doing all the double jumps other than the double axel, and had done so at Europeans before the Games. This suggest her free skate wasnt her best even for her own moderate standards, or she purposely scaled back to avoid any possible disaester and still be sure of winning. Sonja Morgenstern must have made an impressive debut, she was 3rd in free skating, and even took two 1st place votes in the free skate. I have seen some footage of her and she could do triples which were rare then. However she seemed to dissapear from there, I wonder what happened, she was young enough you would think she would have been the heir apparent to be the next German World Champion and Olympic medalist.

12. floskate

floskate Vacant

/\ I already posted a detailed and accurate pbp of what Trixie actually did in her Olympic LP earlier in this thread.

13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Sonja Morgenstern (who was coached by Jutta Müller) actually included a 3S in her free program at the 1972 Olympics. Her 3rd place in the FS moved her up from 8th after the compulsories, to 6th overall. At this point, she was the East German number 1 (having won the East German Championships 2 years in a row), although Christine Errath posed a very serious threat to her in that respect. Errath finished 5th in the FP at the 72 Olympics, which moved her up from 11th in the compulsories to 8th overall. Because the two of them were so closely matched, with Morgenstern having a slight advantage, their rivalry was a notable one at the time. Morgenstern was in with a very good chance of going on to win the 1976 Olympics. However, she was forced to retire at the end of the 1972/73 season due to injury. Instead, therefore, it was her rival, Christine Errath, who would go on to win the 1974 World Championships and finish 3rd at the 1976 Olympics. Given that Morgenstern invariably had the upper hand over Errath due to her free skating ability and better compulsories, its undoubtedly the case that Morgenstern would have stood a very good chance of becoming a world and Olympic champion given what Errath herself achieved, had she not been forced to retire prematurely. With Morgenstern capable of performing triple jumps, Dorothy Hamill instead became the last ladies singles skater to win the Olympics without a triple jump. By 1976, the value contributed by compulsories had been reduced from 50% at the 1972 Olympics, to just 30%. A short program had also been introduced, which made up 20% of the marks. The free program contributed 50%. Hence, the ability to regularly produce triple jumps would have given Morgenstern a significant advantage, and she therefore would most certainly have been in in with a major chance of taking the 1976 Olympic title.

These days, Christine Errath is a well known TV presenter in Germany.

Morgenstern became a teacher, and then a beautician, after her retirement. She was also briefly a coach, coaching Stefan Lindemann. After German reunification, she was shocked and very upset to discover that like Katerina Witt, she had been subjected to some very intrusive surveillance by the Stasi

Here are some photographs from various points in Morgenstern's skating career

14. neptune

There's a difference between saying "Person X is a rude person" and "Behavior Y is rude behavior."

Let's say I have a friend named Jack, who is in general a very nice person. One day, I invite Jack over to my house for a meal. At the dinner table, Jack frequently talks with his mouth full, and doesn't cover his mouth when he sneezes. Does this automatically make Jack a rude person? No. But I think most people would consider that to be rude behavior, or at least a lack of manners. Is it intentional? Probably not. Jack probably just doesn't know any better. But people who don't really know him may be turned off by his behavior and get the wrong impression. That's all I'm saying.

Anyway, 1972 Olympics sounds like it was an interesting competition. :)

15. neptune

And that's something I really respect about Janet. :respec: Modesty seems to be a rare commodity in competitive sports, among celebrities, etc.

16. neptune

Trixi never fell in her figures, though! Solid as a rock. ;)

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  17. neptune

That's too bad. What was her specific injury? Did she go to '73 Worlds at all?

18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Any of chance of an interview with Trixi Schuba? I think that would be fascinating.

19. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interesting thread !

All the marks from the result page is quite conufing at first.

I'm just realising my ignorance.. so if I get it correctly, at that time it was the score that counted, not the ranks.
    Bit like nowadays' system.
    Interestingly, you could tie skaters ! Like the japanese judge awarding 5.7+5.7 twice, ranking two skaters at '4.5'.

When was the 6.0 system introduced ? I mean, the one with only ranking counting. Was it at the end of figures ?

20. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

another question : how were the compulsories split over two days ? how many times did you have to repeat a pattern ?

(forget first part of the question, it was all written ^^)

21. floskate

floskate Vacant

Skatak, factored placements were introduced after the 1980 season. An interesting change that, had it been implemented 12 month earlier, would have given OGM's to Jan Hoffmann and Linda Fratianne! The figures were over two days because it was simply impossible to get through all six figures for all competitors in one day. When figures were reduced from six to three, they were held on a single day.

Neptune, Sonja Morgenstern did go to Worlds in 1973 but she was not fully recovered from a leg injury and finished 8th overall. It is a shame as the new SP would also have greatly helped her had she been in form.

22. floskate

floskate Vacant

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Thank you so much Floskate and what a superb montage (which can be found in Floskate's thread here). I wish I knew how to produce a video as professionally as that. I must give it a try some time!

24. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I picture East Germany as not having many beauticians but lots of shoddy curling irons and hair dryers. ;) Were they state owned?

25. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Janet is outspoken on a range of issues in skating today, particularly concerning IJS, USFS "Moves in the Field" tests, what constitutes good coaching, etc.

26. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Re: Trixie Schuba, I Would love to interview her. There are a lot of skaters from that era I'd love to interview: Scott Allen, Tim Wood, Manfred Schnelldorfer, etc. If I had time to do one interview per week instead of per month, I still couldn't get to everyone!

Floskate: I'd love it (and think it would be a useful resource for others) if you could do a detailed blog post on the history of skating judging. How it evolved, how it worked, etc.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the assessment she did mostly single jumps that day is unfair as it looks like she did mostly doubles. Why didnt she do the double axels in competition if she did them in practice? It wasnt like she had to worry about losing her lead even if she fell. In a situation with no pressure I would think she would want to show her best, even in free skating.

28. floskate

floskate Vacant

OMG do you mean a blog or a book? That's a big topic right there. I still don't fully understand total points, despite hours pouring over marks to try and decipher which judge put which skater where :lol: And you sooo should interview Trixie Schuba. In fact I'd say there's a lot of untapped skating interview potential over here in Europe!

29. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Sports Illustrated article on the 1970 U.S. Nationals, which focuses on many of the American skaters who would compete at the Olympics 2 years later.

30. Minou

Minou Member

Meow.

Since this thread began, I have been wondering what happened to Sukairin? Wikipdedia gives slightly different info in English, Russian and French... It seems he coached Selezneya and Makarov and Bushkrov. Any good links or leads?