Retrospective: The 1960 Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

I think we should all write letters to ESPN to get them to acquire the rights to show the figure skating events from those Olympics that have never been re-televised, on ESPN Classic. I would especially like to see full coverage of the 1972 Olympics, as well as the 1960 Olympics.

2. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Here is another video which features both an interview with Carol Heiss on her 1960 Olympic win + some CBS footage of her performance. It also includes footage of the New York ticker tape parade she went on to mark her victory, which is also featured in this video here as well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. floskate

floskate Vacant

I believe NBC aired the 1972 Sapporo Olympics in the US. I did try to get hold of some footage years ago with ITV but they never aired it apparently. The BBC will have it which, as we all know means that it will never see the light of day again :(

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    That's infuriating, and sad!

5. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

They will probably have wiped the footage (known as "junking"), along with countless episodes of Doctor Who, Z-Cars, Dads Army, and many other shows from the 1950's - 1970's. The managers responsible for the policy, should have been charged with cultural vandalism.

My gut instinct is that the most likely manner in which footage of the 1960 and 1972 Olympics will finally surface is that it will be shown by Russian TV, which was what happened recently with footage from the 1968 Olympics: Ladies, Men's, & Pairs. Maybe Russian FSU members could write to the TV station concerned requesting that they do something similar with the 1956, 1960 1964, and 1972 Olympics

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. skatesindreams

Is there a Russian, or Russian speaking, member of FSU who would be willing to contact that channel for us?

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding all these!

I like the opposite-direction split jump straight into single axel at 3 minutes in.

8. floskate

floskate Vacant

I doubt the Olympics have been wiped considering the money they would have had to shell out for broadcast rights. Besides they still have footage of Europeans and Worlds going back to the 1950's which have been seen in small clips over the years - mainly of Courtney Jones and his partners. There is always http://www.otab.com/, but they are very strict and very expensive. I tried years ago to get hold of some select performances from 1972 and they refused because they found I had a youtube account :rolleyes: The IOC also seems to be stepping up its campaign to remove footage from the internet. In the last two days, two of my John Curry videos (a montage and part of a documentary) have been removed due to the IOC. :mad:

9. skatesindreams

I'm sorry to hear that, floskate.
    Actions such as that won't help to increase interest in the Olympics!

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

That's absolutely terrible. Simply damages the take up of and interest in sport in the long term. If the footage is not readily accessible to be seen (i.e. such as on YouTube), then its not around to inspire. If it were not for YouTube, most historical footage would simply rot away in a vault until the end of time, never to be seen again. If it has commercial value, then fair enough. In which case, release it on to a commercially available DVD and/or allow it to be televised by a company that is willing to pay for the rights. However, if it has no commercial value, then there is no excuse. It should be allowed to enter the public domain and be readily accessible on video sites like YouTube.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

More footage of the 1960 Olympics in this video at 7 minutes 23 seconds in.

12. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress