Retirements in 2012

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Apr 7, 2012.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Who is retiring at the end of this season?

KVDP

Anyone else?

Joubert? Suzuki? Any of the top Chinese Pairs?
  2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Joubert has already announced he is staying in. I was surprised but it seems set.

Suzuki has talked about Sochi so I dont think she is leaving either.

I would imagine if the Zhangs retire it is due to health problems, and being inability to lift and support her bigger body now after some injuries.
  3. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

There is no point of retiring if you come from a country that has a shot for Olympic Team Event medal (Joubert, Suzuki, the Chinese).
  4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

France is an outside shot, so I doubt that's Joubert's rationale for staying. And unless Mervin Tran becomes a Japanese citizen, Japan probably has no chance.

I don't think we'll be seeing too many retirements in the middle of an Olympic cycle. Splits seem more likely. Is Lubov Iliushechkina retiring? The announcement re the end of that partnership made it seem like she wouldn't continue.
  5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

> the aging 30+ year olds Pang/Tong
    >the injury stricken Zhangs
    >Ksenia Makarova ??? :confused:
  6. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Laura Lepistö:(
  7. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Yuko Kawaguti said in Nice they will stay until Sotchi.
  8. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I hope Makarova gives it another season. She needs to get stronger.
    I still enjoy watching the Zhang's. So I hope they stay.
    Sad for Lepisto. I thought she might come back.
    Brian Joubert still has some really bad memories of Vancouver two years ago.
    I think he just wants a good Olympics before he retires :)
  9. shah

shah Well-Known Member

so far only Laura L. :)wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed) and KVDP. phew!

but it makes me really fear the immediate post-olympic period. the list of retirements will be extremely long :(...
  10. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

She is skating with Yannick Cocon (sp?) in France now.
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

re: Joubert. Pretty much
    Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Yannick Kocon (who used to skate with Nicole Della Monica for Italy)? Do you know if they are hoping to compete or perform in shows?

Pang/Tong were quoted after their FS at Worlds that they are planning to continue competing.
  13. sequins

sequins New Member

Agreed, it makes me weep just to think about it. I think it's gonna be a long list and a big blow. We got off easy after Vancouver, not so much after Sochi I'm afraid.
  14. judgejudy27

Post Sochi retirements (if not a few before) probably:

Men- Chan, Takahashi, Oda, Abbott, Lysacek (if he comes back), Joubert, possibly Kozuka, Reynolds, Verner, Plushenko

Ladies- Asada, Ando and Kim (if they havent already), Suzuki, Kostner, Flatt and Nagasu (if they havent already), possibly Zhang and/or Wagner, Phaneuf, Rochette (if she comes back), Czisny (if she hasnt already), Leonova, Korpi

Pairs- Zhangs and Pang & Tong (if one or both havent already), Savchenko & Szolkowy, maybe Volosozhar & Trankov (only possible if they win Sochi gold probably), Kavaguti & Smirnov, Evora & Ladwig, some of the Canadian pairs

Dance- Virtue & Moir, Davis & White, Pechalat & Bourzat, maybe Bobrova & Soloviev if they find themselves dropping, Capellini & Lanotte.

The dance should actually be in the best shape post 2014. Overall it will be an army of retirements though.
  15. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Really? How do you know? Sources?
  16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I had no idea Iliuschechkina and Maisuradze had even broken up! A few weeks ago I was thinking about how it would be almost impossible for them to make the Sochi team for Russia, what with V/T, K/S, and B/L, not to mention Stolbova/Klimov, Gerboldt/Enbert, and that other good pair.. I forget their name lol.. who could potentially be ahead of them at Russian Nats in the coming years.
  17. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Of my personal favs, I only lost Belbin/Agosto and Castile/Okolski after Vancouver. 2014 is going to kill me though--V/M, P/B, S/S, Joubert, Kostner... *weeps*
  18. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Yes, that Kocon.
    I guess to compete. For shows she could easily find a partner in Russia.
  19. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Has Patrick Chan suggested that he might retire after Sochi? It would seem that he could have a good chance of getting 2 OGs if he wins Sochi, and if he doesn't win, the goal of an OG would still exist anyway.
  20. judgejudy27

Chan had said he even thought of quitting after the 2010 season until he didnt do well at the Vancouver Olympics and saw how much he enjoyed the Olympic experience and then decided to continue. If he had won the 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics he probably would have stopped right then. He has also complained about having a hard time making enough money in the sport as an amateur. He has also talked about wanting to continue his education, not even neccessarily having a long career as a show skater. It would be shocking if he continued in eligible competition past 2014, especialy if he wins in Sochi as expected.
  21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Seriously, if I could choose one skater or team to secure with great performances in Sochi, it would be Brian. The guy needs one good Olympics before he retires. He deserves one good Olympics.

Also, I have to say I admire his will and perseverance. The Games might have beaten him, but they certainly haven't broken him. I sincerely wish him some more medals before he retires so he can leave with a good feeling about his career.

The post-Sochi retirements will kill me too. Dance without V/M and D/W, pairs without S/S will not be the same anymore. I got used to having these guys around to ensure us with great competitions. Also, the V/T possible retirement. We have had them for such a short period that it will be painful to see them go. Saying goodbye to Takahashi, Joubert, even Verner, to Mao and even Carolina will end a certain period, a skating era. I'm seriously not looking forward to spring 2014.
  22. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

23. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I don't think V/T will retire unless they at least win Worlds. If S/S win Worlds next year I think V/T will stay in after the Olympics either way - I have a feeling 1 world title won't be enough for them. But that is just a guess :)

Is Miki Ando coming back? I miss her.
  24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

:lol: aren't they in their mid-twenties?
  25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Maybe Michelle Kwan will finally officially retire, now that she is Mrs. Obama's 'Let's Move' ambassador. She's at the Easter Egg Roll at the While House right NOW!
  26. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Nah, I don't think she will retire. But now that Adelina and Liza are age eligible for Euros and Worlds next season and Julia the season after, I don't think Russia will be holding her up anymore. She has 2 grand prix assignments next season and I'm sure Russia will throw a couple of Senior B's her way........starting in a couple of days actually :lol:
  27. love_skate2011

thats what Im saying, she's done !
    she's been passed over for B Competitions, If she doesn't want to
    take the B Competitions give it to Biryukova or Polina K. and
    then she can retire
    :rofl:
  28. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Some suggested sending her to Morozov because then he can work his magic and make her a World medalist like Leonova and Miki.....or at least competitive. I guess people :lol:

Stick a fork in her, she's way overdone :rofl:
  29. Sylvia

:rolleyes:

Ksenia Makarova's not "done" competing internationally next season unless Russia prevents her from being invited to the 2 Senior Grand Prix competitions she's earned (under the current GP rules) for placing in the top 12 at Worlds.
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

We know that :lol: We're talking Euros and Worlds. She has to find a way to become competitive with the incoming babies and she definitely needs a lutz and a flip to get out of Russia starting next season for Euros and Worlds. Otherwise yes, it's Senior B's for her plus her two grand prix assignment.
  31. love_skate2011

and if she keeps getting dismal results in GP next season will be her last GP events.
    she needs good results those upcomers are on her heels that what Im saying
    or else its hello B Competitions to her from now on.

in a few more seasons it will be too crowded with Leonova, Tukt, Adelina, Julia, Elena, Shelepen, Medvedeva, Polina K, Biryukova etc. for her to stay competitive provided if she can handle it.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  32. Sylvia

I don't think the original poster intended this thread to be about "Skaters You'd Like to See Retire Because Some Fans Think Their Time is Up and They're Too Stupid to Realize It."
  33. blue_idealist

That almost makes it sound llike the guy doesn't even enjoy skating. :p
  34. judgejudy27

I wouldnt say that. Maybe just a guy who doesnt want to skate his whole life as there are other things to do in life, or sees no point in continuing eligible competition past the age when those who lead full careers almost always retire from the amateur world at the latest (mid 20s) when he has probably already won everything by then. Which makes total sense. Why on earth become another Fumie Suguri competing as a journeywomen/man as a shadow of your old self into your 30s, but in this case one unlike Fumie who had achieved all there is to do in the sport and has no reason for possible feelings of unfullfillment.
  35. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Martiusheva/Rogonov?
  36. fscric

fscric Active Member

So he shouldn't have a life after skating? Like pursue his education which he has put on hold to focus on skating?
  37. blue_idealist

I was just joking..
  38. blue_idealist

Yes, I think that was who I was thinking of.
  39. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

:respec:
  40. Sylvia