Retirements 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

There are a lot of doubts about that. When Aljona was asked directly about these "news", she answered that no one was saying that....:confused: I wouldn´t read too much into that right now!

2. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Excellent choice, but ouch on the paperwork.

Actually, Plushenko's first senior podiums were in fall 1997, Finlandia and Skate America, where he would have been standing with Yagudin & Oleg Tataurov and Alexander Abt & Scott Davis.

At 98 Worlds, the podium was indeed Yagudin-Eldredge-Plushenko. Plushenko & Stojko didn't compete together often. The last time would have been Champions Series (now called GP Series) final in December 97, where Kulik-Stojko-Eldredge took the medals and Plushenko was 5th.

Plushenko would have also been at Nagano, but the Russians only had 2 entries for men that year. That would have made 5 Olympics for him, but for Urmanov's groin strain. (Of course, if Urmanov hadn't sustained that injury in 97, he may well have been the other Russian man at Nagano.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Seeing that there were so many Japanese fans in the crowd(very noticeable when Daisule skated ;))now I wonder if they were the ones cheering on Jeremy to continue?

Oops, I think I posted in the wrong thread.:eek:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

how can pang/tong dare to quit and not go to worlds?:hat1:

kidding.
    i am happy for them, though i wouldn't have been surprised if chinese fed pushed them towards japan for gaining that 3rd spot.
    but finally, unfortunately no medal for them to end.
    they had a great development over the years

5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Plushenko was too young for Nagano - the rule about being 15 by July 1 of the previous year had gone into effect.

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

What do they need for a third spot? S/H would have done really well at the competition had they been allowed to go.

7. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Didn't Radford train in Germany for a while? Not that I am suggesting he would partner with her, but just that I think they know each other and Tatianna as well.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Brubaker or Tran would probably be the best realistic choice if those news are true. Just not Radford, please.

9. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

? Wasn't the last time the SLC Olys in 2002?

10. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

I think the post was intended to mean, the last time they were on the podium at the same time. But, yes the last time they competed together would have been the 2002 Olympics.

11. lulu

lulu New Member

Yup. Elvis placed 8th. Sometimes I forget Elvis skated in the SLC games. :slinkaway

12. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

He had to be old enough for Nagano since he went to WC that year.

13. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

Mishin pulled Plyushchenko from 1998 Olympics - my recollection is that Mishin thought Plyushchenko was too young.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  14. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

This is not true. He never qualified. Kulik and Yagudin were both above him and beat him in all head to head competition that year, so he had no claim to being on the 2 man team. Had Urmanov been able to skate even Yagudin who had beaten Plushenko 4 straight times that year would have been bumped off the team.

The only reason he skated at Worlds was Kulik's WD.

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Watching these Olympics is making me nostalgic. My first "in person" skating event was 2003 Worlds, and I can't imagine that any of the skaters who were there will still be skating after this season. Right now, there are still a few - Joubert, Pluschenko, Kostner, McCorkell and I'm sure some others I'm forgetting.

16. Susan M

Plushenko was born in March 1982, so he would have been 15 by July 1997.

You guys are hallucinating. Plushenko wasn't on the 98 Olympic team because at that time he was seen as their 3rd best skater (ignoring the injured Urmanov) and Russia had only 2 spots. One went to Kulik, who was 96 World silver medalist and won Russian Nationals and the GP finals (then called Champions Series) leading up to the Olympics. The second spot went to Yagudin, who was bronze medalist at 97 Worlds (securing Russia its second spot), 3rd at Nationals (behind Kulik & Urmanov), 4th at the GP finals, and won 98 Europeans. kuzytalent is right. That season, Yagudin was always ahead of Plushenko who was 4th at Nationals, 5th at GP finals, and 2nd at Europeans.

By what rationale should they have bumped either of those guys off the team?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  17. DELTA

DELTA Member

Will Chan stick around for another 4 years?

18. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

Sorry I should have posted it differently - my recollection is that Mishin didn't want Plyushchenko to go to the Olympics that year - but yes I was aware that he didn't qualify.

19. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Member

Well if he said that it is pure BS. Mishin badly wanted 2 of his skaters to be the 2 men competing, be that any combination of Urmanov, Plushenko, or Yagudin. That was simply never going to happen after Kulik won Nationals, and topped it off by winning the Grand Prix final for good measure. However had Plushenko made the team do you think Mishin would have ever pulled him out for Yagudin (who he liked less than Plushenko always), Kulik, Alexander Abt, or anyone other than possibly Urmanov. Of course not. That was just a good PR statement when it was clear he just wasnt going to make it.

20. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

It's too bad there are no threads on FSU about Plushenko where people can talk about him. Oh well, a couple of hundred posts about him won't clutter up this Retirements thread too much.

:p

21. Susan M

22. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

No, his birthday is Nov 3 (I know this b/c it's also my b-day (diff year) ;)). If you're looking at his ISU bio, birthdates are written with the day and month reversed. :)

But yes, he did go to the WC in 98 - was he grandfathered in due to a medal at the World Junior Champs the previous season? I think they used to have that exception, b/c I remember Sasha Cohen was sent to World Juniors in 2000 to try to medal to be able to go to Worlds. I wonder if that exception applied to the Olympics, too, though, b/c I thought I remembered reading that he couldn't go - I think that's when I found out he and I had the same birthday, lol.

23. umronnie

umronnie Active Member

He was also 2nd at Europeans in 98, so either he was old enough by 1998 age rules or he got there on his JW gold the previous year.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

BREAKING: Plushenko retired. ;)

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  25. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

His birthday is listed as November 3, 1982.

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

This time...stay tuned...

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Tomas Verner has retired with Olympics being his last competition (and he narrowly missed making it into the top 10 :().

28. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Brian Joubert calls it quit too. oh well.

29. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Verner, Joubert, Plushenko :wuzrobbed

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I was just going to mention Verner. 2003 Worlds was the first time I saw him skate. He had to withdraw from 2003 Euros, and several people in Malmo told me how much promise he had. Gheorge Chiper had a student in Sochi, Zoltan Kelemen. Kostner was a baby that year and competed Euros, Jr. Worlds, and Worlds. Hongbo Zhao was in Sochi with Pang/Tong, retiring with these Olympics, and Peng/Zhang: at 2003 Worlds, he was competing against P/T and Zhang/Zhang. The only two active skaters from Pairs are Hao Zhang and Tatiana Volosozhar, who at 17, not much older than Kostner, skated in DC with Petro Kharchenko. In Dance, Chait has been in Sochi as coach and choreographer for the Israelis -- ironic that the only discipline for which they didn't qualify is Dance. No dancers are still competing. I'm not sure if Scali is in Sochi: he's been coaching with Krylova/Camerlengo, who have a number of teams competing.