Retirements 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

This makes me even more :lynch: at the French Federation. I so wanted to see Joubert skate before he retired, and Skate America this year would have been my chance.

2. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

4. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Or make babies lol.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Both! Coach a lot of successful Belgian skaters and have babies that they will also coach. :D

6. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

re-posting from a 4CC thread in K'nC. Kozuka announced he would not retire.

(my rough translation of the interview with Kozuka)

Mura won 4CC. Kozuka in the 2nd place announced he would continue competing.

Interview with Takahiko Kozuka
    (After Japan Nationals)I didn't want to finish this season feeling down. (Failing in making a Sochi team,) I didn't see any good reason to continue competing. However, this(note=winning silver medal in 4CC) encouraged me to leave my feelings behind and continue competing aiming at new goals.

Go Kozuka!! :cheer:

7. DELTA

DELTA Member

That's excellent news. I hope he train hard and become team leader in Japan.

8. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Good for him!

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you so much, rosewood! It's such a relief. Now I hope he gets his hip and his foot fixed, so that he can come out strong next season.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Plushenko won the world bronze in 1998, when he was 15. He has been around a lot longer than Joubert, and has stood on the podium with Yagudin many times- even before Joubert. I appreciate Joubert's longevity too, but I don't see him as the link; that would still be Plushenko, who is still competing as an eligible, no matter how sparse, and he and Yagudin started competing almost at the same time. Yagudin retired in 2003!

Plushenko will certainly retire after Sochi. IMO the only reason he has been around after 2010 is that the 2014 Olympics are in Russia.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

While not as successful as Plushenko or the prodigy he was -- few skaters are -- Joubert's international career began in the 1999-2000 season at Jr. Worlds. He competed far more regularly: 13 European championships and 12 World Championships to date, and Sochi will be his fourth Olympic Games as well. He's competed in 11 GP seasons, missing only 2011 and this season, which, from articles in the press, he was not happy about, since it was Gailhaguet who pulled him from competitions he felt ready to attend.

It's been Joubert who's been the common thread for more than a decade among European Men. Plushenko had almost a decade of competing as regularly as Joubert, but since 2006 has been competing sporadically. It's possible to have attended over half of the European Championships in the last two Olympic cycles or any World Championship and not have known that Plushenko was still an active skater, and in the lead-up to Vancouver, he was deliberately not. That is certainly not true of Joubert.

I think that continuity -- seeing Joubert in at least the last group of most championships for over a decade while the other skaters change around him -- is what was being described. It was like "Granny has been skating Euros against every skater for 14 out of the last 16 seasons" :eek: or Kostner being on the international scene with 12 Euros in a row, on the podium for almost a decade in a row, and on the Worlds podium with Slutskaya and Cohen through Ando, Asada, and Kim.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, I think the difference is that Plushenko has competed longer but in total he may have competed in fewer events, certainly the major ones, than Joubert. It came up a while ago in the thread about who has landed the most quads (apparently Joubert) - he's missed events in the past few seasons, but never entire seasons. Joubert has won 16 senior ISU championship medals (more than any other active skater) spanning a decade of competitions, and has 13 consecutive top ten finishes at Euros and 11 at Worlds. I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like it again.

They've both had impressive careers, that's for sure.

13. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I think they're probably gonna stay for at least two more years :)

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

:cheer: I hope they do!

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Great news, pingu!

16. Conga

Conga New Member

I hope this is true (of C/L)!

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They're still quite young. I hope they stick around until 2018. They have really improved technically over the last couple of seasons and I think they still have a lot to give.

18. shah

shah Well-Known Member

So which pairs have we just seen for the last time? V/T, S/S and P/T? :( :( :(

19. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

You dont have a better source on news about the italians than pingu :)

20. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

P&T

S&S are doing shows and posters are smoking hot. I wish they decide to compete more but I am quite sure it is not their intention.

21. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

Plushenko started his career standing on the same podium as Elvis Stojko. That's kind of mind boggling.

22. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Just saw this. That's not a bad idea. I hope she does think about something like Adult Nationals or maybe even skating at some pro shows. I'll definitely miss her skating. I always loved Rachel's Ina Bauer. Simply beautiful.

I loved this program, especially. Her Ina Bauer starts around 2:28. Sorry, I forgot how to get the link right at that time. I think she performed to East of Eden very well. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD8xLQxytkA

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Pang/Tong have now officially retired with Olympics being their last competition (they made a Weibo post thanking everyone for everything).

Savchenko/Szolkowy are done as well, I believe.

Volosozhar/Trankov have said many times in interviews that they plan to continue but they might take a break so they might do it Plushenko/Kim style and just do a few events here and there and maybe be back for 2018 Olympics. We shall see.

24. umronnie

umronnie Active Member

I believe it was Todd Eldredge, but the "historic" (not to say archeological) connotation is the same.

25. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I'll miss them, but if anyone "deserves" to hang their competitive skates up, it's P/T. All the VERY best to them (and thank you!)

Well she wants to go to Worlds, but I think he wants to retire right now. However, she's said she wants to go on to 2018 - and it definitely won't be with Robin. :eek: There is a link to an article in German news.

I think I heard they have a loose plan to compete at Worlds in 2015 and 16, sit out 2017 and be back for the next Games. But yes, we shall see.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

!!!

I had no idea! Wow. There are no available partners anywhere near her level, though. It would be amazing if she continued but it would be extremely painful to watch if she 'did a Takahashi.' So let's start an official 'whose partner should Aliona steal' thread. ;)

27. fan

fan Active Member

radford?

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Brubaker?

kidding :p

29. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

There's some doubt about this in the German news thread.

30. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Tran?? ;)