Retirements 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

Will Tessa and Scott retire this year?

2. moirvirtuefan

moirvirtuefan New Member

I hope they don't DELTA. I heard from someone on twitter who was at Nationals and she said they didn't seem emotional as she thought they would be if it was their last Nationals and they were joking around at the gala practice. I think they haven't reached their full potential yet and there is still more they can do. I am just thinking positive and hopeful about it but I don't think they are ready to retire yet honestly. And I think they don't know yet either. I don't think it's really their focus right now with Sochi right around the corner. I think maybe at the start of this season they thought they would be, but I think now they are having second thoughts. It could just be wishful thinking but my gut tells me they will do just one more season. Obviously the decision isn't up to any of us though so all we can do is wait and see :) I am just trying not to think about it because honestly I don't know what I am going to do when they retire.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Any real, confirmed retirements since the first few posts?

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Menshov is retiring? He's already gone past 30 so I don't think there's any harm in him sticking around a couple (or more than a couple) more seasons!! ;)

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Considering how much he has improved over the last quad, and lack of any serious injuries (that we know of at least), he should aim for 2018! :cheer:

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

OK, Rachael will be the 2nd orthopod with a nice personality.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  7. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

Yes. They have said many times in interviews this year it is their last season, and in fact the Olympics are their last competition. They arent even planning to go to Worlds.

8. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

Are you sure about this? I haven't seen an interview with them that confirms they are definitely retiring. More recently they've talked around the question.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

How about Jenna McCorkell of Great Britain? Isn't she around the same age as hubbie KVD who retired about 2 years ago?

10. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

All of the CTV/TSN coverage was geared to this being V/M's last Nationals so I'd say they are definitely retiring.

11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Yes, there was a montage tribute to end the SD and Tracy said they'd be missed.

12. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I will bawl my eyes out after this season. So many of my favourites, skaters that defined skating for me, are leaving.
    I think we were very blessed after Vancouver, when there weren't that many big names retiring. This time I feel like we're saying goodbye to an entire generation. Worst thing is, I don't know if I will still have any favourites to hold on to next season. Will have to build my likes and dislikes from scratch.

Anyways, any word on Cappellini/Lanotte? They're among the oldest, but they have also just started to medal/place high at big events.

ETA: post number 1,000! and it still feels like yesterday when I joined FSU ;)

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

She's younger than him. I think she's the same age as me, 27, and he's around 32, but I wouldn't be surprised if she retired after this season too.

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Watched Euro ladies On Demand this AM (played hooky from work :)

I thought of two ladies who may be ripe for retirement - Elena Glebova (born in 1989; she will be 25 this year) and Elene Gedevanishvili (born in 1990, she will be 24 this year). Gede doesn't look involved in her skating anymore

Unless, skating for small federations, Both go the way of Gizmo!

Leonova has also been discussed. She was born in 1990 as well. I don't know how many lives she has left, but it will be harder and harder for her to keep coming back w/ Russian ranks swelling. Maybe she could skate for Belarus.

15. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Well-Known Member

Now that Sonia Radeva appear to be out of the picture, I think Glebova has the potential to be the next Gizmo/Olga Markova. I want to see a program to "Strange Fruit" where she is dressed as a sedate/serious Carmen Miranda.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Glebova has been steadily improving and just had a fantastic Euros outing. It wouldn't really make any sense for her to retire now. I think she still has more to give.

Gedevanishvili hasn't been involved in her skating for what, 6 years now? Didn't stop her so far. :p

17. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Akiko Suzuki has stated in a number of interviews that this season will be her last. She will be dearly missed, but in the meantime I'm going to soak in her final few events starting with the Olympic games :)

18. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I'll miss Akiko too much :wuzrobbed

Glebova isn't allowed to go anywhere. I have a (bizarre) affection for her.

Cappellini/Lanotte is an interesting question - because although they aren't THAT young, I feel there's alot more there. Remember when they were known as "Baby Italians"? I still kinda think of them like that!

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Why would C/L retire now when with the retirements after Sochi and Worlds they have a strong shot at the Worlds podium?

20. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Oh, this is a depressing thread :scream:

Well, Rachel Flatt aside.

mella and (deleted member) like this.
  21. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I sure hope they stay for at least 2 years !!!!

22. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

In summary from what I've read and can remember -

Top Ladies:

1. Kim - retiring; said after '13 Worlds that the win was bittersweet since it was her last Worlds, so I think Sochi is her last competition
    2. Asada - retiring; recently announced after speculation by FS fans most of the season. Whether she goes to Worlds or not, who knows. She may want to try for a hat trick.
    3. Kostner - taking it day by day; but I personally think she's done. She seriously contemplated retiring after 2012 and turns 27 next month. She would be 31 by Pyeongchang '18. She is 5-time Euro Champion and '12 World Champion. She suffered injuries recently and I would think she'd want to go out on a high(er) note. I also don't see her TES going up in the next quadrennial / next years and there will be more Russian babies to deal with at Euros, let alone at Worlds. Don't turn into Fumie Suguri!
    4. Suzuki - retiring; announced early on. I have a hunch one of the JPN ladies will probably skip Worlds (not sure which one - Asada or Suzuki; probably Suzuki) w/ the blessing of the JSF to give Japan's next star - Satoko Miyahara, some Senior Worlds experience going into the next quadrennial.
    5. Korpi - in for one more season; though I think her injuries will dictate when she leaves the sport. She's been out of Worlds / Olympics for 2 seasons and the landscape has drastically changed. Still, if she skates one more season, it will probably be only for herself, not some great design on being a medal contender.
    6. Marchei - no announcement that I know of but she is the same age as Kostner. I don't see her skating into her 30s if she decides to stay on a little longer.
    7. Rochette - gone
    8. Ando - already retired
    9. Czisny - already retired
    10.Flatt- already retired
    11.Murakami - rumored to want to retire but I have trouble believing it. She will turn 20 this year and I would think she has a lot left in the tank. Plus, the JSF will have no seasoned ladies capable of placing in the top 10. She might turn into one of those skaters who decides w/ pressure from her Fed. to take it year by year until someone else can take over.

23. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Marchei is actually older than Kostner. She was born in '86, turning 28 this year, so I'm pretty sure she's done (even though she's looking better than ever this season).

24. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

He said in Europeans press conference, that he does not feel old, like 30, and he is still developing, so he is not going to retire yet.

25. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I hope he sticks around a bit longer. I agree with him - he continues to improve his skating. If he enjoys it, and is improving, and his body is holding up, why not stay a bit longer?

26. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It's crazy to think that some of the guys have been around since before Torino - Joubert, Takahashi, Verner, Plyushenko :p . I'll miss them all.

27. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

That's the only way I see her staying. Kanako doesn't like the pressure of competition and wants to focus on studying. Basically she wants to have a normal life.

28. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Well, Plush has been on and off for years, but it kinda blows me away when I think Joubert USED TO STAND ON A PODIUM TOGETHER WITH YAGS and has competed every freaking season ever since. Kinda gives you the idea of this guy's longetivety. It's pretty amazing. He's like the last link between the golden time of Yagudin and now. I got used to having him around it's going to be weird without him.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Here, a memory of those days: Joubert's first international podium - yes, as far as I can tell his first medal was at an ISU Championship. Also, baby Tomas Verner at the same event.

AFAIK, Plushenko's senior debut was at 1996 Finlandia, when Javier Fernandez was five and Julia Lipnitskaia had not yet been born. The winner of the event, Shepherd Clark, last competed internationally in 1999.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

I remember seeing Jenna McCorkill walking to the stadium at World '03 inf D.C, she was just a little thing then.