Retirements 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

At the Memorial Fund reception, Jeremy's mother stated that Jeremy was retiring after this season and that he planned to stay involved in the sport by skating in shows and doing choreography.

Davis and White's parents stated that Meryl and Charlie plan to compete at 2014 Worlds.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Doug Razzano seemed awful teary-eyed beyond having a solid skate … I think he's in his mid -20s

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i wouldn't be too sure about them skipping worlds; chinese fed will for sure gets its three spots back and i think they might need pang/tong for that.
    duct tape hold them until now, i think it will hold one mor competition ;)

4. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

No. I heard that it was mentioned that he won't retire during Yukari Nakano's talk show. :inavoid:

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  5. senorita

senorita New Member

^Kozuka!:cheer:

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

The skating landscape will definitely look different next year with all the retirements. I can't remember the last time so many accomplished skaters left the sport after an Olympic year.

7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't know why P/T would skip Worlds they always win in an Olympic year because most of the top skaters skip it.

8. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

At the Canadian gala Amelia Lacoste skated a lovely performance and then stood at centre ice and cried. The audience gave her a standing ovation. It looked very much like she thought it would be her last Canadians, although there is no confirmation of that. She is listed as going to 4C.

9. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

Kanako wants to retire this year.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Did you forget Debie Thomas? I think she has a pretty nice personality.

I am sad that we will not see Miki competing. I always loved watching her powerful jumps.

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

at 19? that's a little surprising. Seems like she would really benefit from all the other retirements this season.

12. Vash01

May be 1992?

I don't see Ashley retiring yet. Has Akiko announced anything about retirement? I think Leonova might. I don't see her making the world team again. I am going to really miss Mao, but I assume she will be skating in many shows and we will get to watch her on yt.

BTW Doug Razzano had a wonderful LP skate at the nationals. He is 25. I wonder if he will retire or give himself at least one more shot at worlds? It will be tough to make the team, with so many talented younger skaters. I hope he sticks around.

13. Vash01

Does she have injuries or other passions? It seems too early for her to retire.

14. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Probably all the top pairs except for Voloszhar & Trankov who will probably continue until 2018.

Probably all the top men except for Hanyu and Fernandez.

Probably the current top 3 dance teams, if you consider P&B as a top 3 team that is.

15. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thanks! :cheer:

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Yukari Nakano has a talk show?!? :swoon:

17. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

18. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I watched/taped the entire broadcast, and I don't remember them showing Rachael at all.

19. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

That's what I meant by "inglorious sendoff", and why I included links to both her programs in this thread.

20. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I've been wondering if Ross Miner and/or Richard Dornbush will retire. Both are 22. And they've both talked about wanting to go to college full-time. Will they continue? As a fan, I hope they do, because I feel like neither of them has really reached his full potential, especially Dornbush. But realistically, I could see them retiring at this point.

21. nynyfee

nynyfee Active Member

No decision made for now.

Cyn, geoskate, kwanfan1818 and 3 others like this.
  22. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

nononono, they are not allowed to retire :D
    they are my eye candy of every competiton

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I still feel Dornbush has alot of potential for the future. I think the judges were willing to put him on the Olympic team, even with Brown's great skate, but as usual he couldnt deliver 2 programs in a row. However I dont know if he will ever find the way to compete like a champion, and if that is what he suspects deep down too he might just want to go to school rather than hang around another 4 years. However I would love to see him hang around and competing with Brown, Farris, Aaron, and whoever else comes up for spots on future teams, and think he could even be an international contender if he ever gets the mental toughness.

Miner is done pretty much. So is Rippon. Both are young enough to continue but they have already hit the max of their abilities and it isnt good enough to make future teams.

24. MountainTime

MountainTime Member

Ricky has been going to college in engineering I believe. I've seen him studying at Ice Dreams last summer in Oakland as well as at Omaha Nationals.

25. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

26. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

John was very sad and teary-eyed after their skate in the Gala which initially made me think it was his last skate. I would like to see Caydee give another partner a try and give it another 4 years.

27. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I agree about Dornbush. He has so much raw talent. If he were to continue, I think he needs to go to Frank Carroll, Brian Orser, or another coach at that level. Gambill has taken him about as far as she can, I think. He needs a top-level coach to polish & package him and truly make him a contender. And also to improve his ability to stay focused in competition. It sounds like he's a smart guy and, overall, it may make more sense for him to pursue college at this point. Because if he doesn't do it now, he will be way behind his peers. But if he does stay in skating, I hope he makes some changes.

Sadly, I also think you may be right about Ross. I really, really like his skating--while some people see him as stiff and untalented, I love the purity and sort of classicism of his skating--but I'm just not sure he has the jumping ability to take it much further. It's clear he's very comfortable with triples, and very consistent with them, but when it comes to triple Axel and quad, it's just not there. And without those he'll never be a contender.

Adam has already said he plans to continue 1 more year, then take it from there. I don't know what to think after his debacle at Nationals. I had really thought this was his year. :-(

28. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

29. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Glad that Adam is staying in a bit longer. I really, really thought he would be National Champ this year. He needs to stay with the same coach for several years....I think the coach hopping has hindered his development.

I'll also miss Dornbush and Carriere.

And Flatt. And Miner.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. KCC

KCC Active Member

I wonder if he watches The Big Bang Theory.