Retirements 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

As a fan, I would really, really like to see Christina continue. But my guess is she will decide to retire and focus on her studies at Harvard. Which I can understand. In a pre-Olympic article, she had said this was her only chance to make the Olympic team, which suggests she had already ruled out going to 2018.

I think Denney/Coughlin will probably retire. In an interview at some point, John said he only had one goal left in skating, to make the Olympics, and that they were concentrating everything on that. Now having missed the team, and with his recent injury, it's hard to see him continuing to 2018. He'd be 32 then, not impossible, but not easy. If John retires, Caydee could continue, but it's unlikely she'd find a partner as good as John. (Although I'm not a D/C fan, I do think the two of them are very good partners for each other.) So I kind of expect them to retire.

Agnes I think may also retire. Especially considering she almost retired couple years ago. I see little incentive for her to go on. She will likely not be competitive for the team in 2018. And she doesn't seem to enjoy competition much anyway.

2. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

When have Davis and White made it clear that this is their lasat year?

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I heard it from them, but the commentators including Tanith (who would likely know Charlie's plans) made it pretty clear they did not expect D/W back.

I do not want to say this for sure, but I think Meryl said something about "one last great performance at nationals".

4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

It always makes me sad to hear which skaters are leaving competitive skating and moving on to the next phase of their lives.

Wish them all well as I'm sure deciding to quit competing is a very difficult one.

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The federations are not noted for their loyalty. They chew the skaters up and spit them out when the skater is no longer of any use to them.

6. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Skaters that said in interviews that they are definitely retiring are:

Tomas Verner (after Olympic Games, doesn't want to do Worlds) - interview in upcoming issue of IFS)
    Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat (same as above) - interview for Kiss & Cry (Japanese digital magazine, also available in English)
    Aljona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (probably not doing Worlds, but still could change their minds) - interviews with German magazine Pirouette)

Miki Ando and Nobunari Oda announced their retirement at Japanese Nationals.

As for the others
    Meryl Davis/Charlie White kept their options open - interview Kiss & Cry and Pirouette (but I don't know what they said at US Nationals)
    Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov said they probably will take a rest but are inclined to continue - several interviews
    Patrick Chan (thinks about taking a year off or so but didn't talk about definitive retirement) - interview Kiss & Cry
    Carolina Kostner (didn't want to say she is definitely retiring or continuing, keeps her options open) - interview Kiss & Cry

7. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

Of those I think only Volosozhar & Trankov will continue past this year.

8. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Yeah, I don't see Patrick Chan continuing. He has spoken several times the last few years about feeling unmotivated and/or dissatisfied with the rewards of figure skating. I believe he's considered quitting at various points during this quad, despite his dominance, so it's hard to imagine him going another 4 years.

9. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

I cant see him going either. The only way he might is if he won no Olympic medal but since Canada is a lock for atleast the bronze in the Team event even if he truly bombs his individual, that still is almost impossible.

Davis & White I could see maybe going on if somehow they dont win the Olympic Gold this year.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Korpi said she will continue until next season at least.

Kostner, Kim and Asada are supposed to retire (I imagine Suzuki as well) but who knows.

As for Leonova, it's been said about her every season, yet she keeps bouncing back.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Fans keep trying to retire Leonova. Unless one thinks she's being sent to ensure no one without a lot experience will upset the 1-2 applecart, she is going to Euros,, ad the up-and-comers like Gosviani are not.

12. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Chan this past weekend at Canadian nationals commented on trying to tie Orser's record of 8 consecutive Cdn titles. He's also made some comments about competing with less stress after the Olympics are over. It'll be interesting to see what he decides to do. I'm sure Skate Canada will big time be putting the pressure on him to continue because there is no one else.

http://games.postmedia.com/news/king-patrick-rules-the-land

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

TSN made a real big deal with V&M competing in their last Canadians. In contrast, TSN did no sort of goodbye montage for Patrick.

14. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I thought Scott or Tom gave Rachael a nice mention while she took her time getting off the ice and waved goodbye to the crowd. (In response to a poster on the 1st page who felt R. was gracelessly whisked off.)

15. lauren329

lauren329 Member

She was not whisked off at all. Was there in person- she got a lovely, long goodbye and even people like me who were never fans of her felt moved and were on their feet for her.

16. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'm hoping that Stephen Carriere will come over to the adult circuit, too. He seems to love to compete and skate.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Personally, I think they will retire. They're doing their best, health-wise, to get through this season; and Max has some injuries. I don't believe they can or will want to continue on past this season. But that's just my thoughts. If they decide not to retire, they're going to have to take a serious break before they break themselves!

I also believe Jeremy Abbott will retire. People in the audience at US Nationals were talking about his skating as if he'd already announced his retirement, talking about this being his last season, etc., but I don't recall having seen anything directly from him.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  18. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Their best work is still to come. Break yes. Quit no. Don't break my heart any more than it already is. I don't have much left. :drama:

Jeremy said this was his last US nationals.

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

What about Daisuke Takahashi? Don't know if he's made any announcement, but certainly he's had his share of injuries, as well as some wonderful successes.

I hope Christina Gao continues. I think there's a lot more in the tank there with some good programs and a bit of mental readjustment. I hope Mirai continues as well. Alissa Czisny a possible retirement? The sense I get is she would REALLY like to keep competing but her body has so far prevented her from continuing.

20. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

He has made several mentions on Twitter of the sort "going to my last GP event" "something something last national championships", etc... so I'm pretty sure this is his last season.

21. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

At the exhibitions in Boston last night, it was officially announced (by Brian Boitano, who got to introduce Jeremy's performance) that Jeremy said this was his final US Nationals.

22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Jeremy called it his last nationals in his press conferences too.

23. isamelia

isamelia Member

My guess is Jeremy will have a bright future as a choreographer if he chooses to go this route.

24. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I agree. The pairs field will be ridiculously weak after S/S retire. I assume Pang and Tong are??? He's 34 now. I think Russia will want them to be place holders, in the very least, until they can get a new team in there. If we go by the German and Chinese teams men, he's still got another Olympics in him. He's a baby at 30 :p.

I think they really want to finish their degrees, it has been six years! If they came back, I think it would be after a couple years off, but after taking that time off they just seem like the types to have a lot going on. I'm not holding out hope.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Pang/Tong are being barely held together by duct tape at this point. They surely must be retiring after this season and might even skip Worlds.

26. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, please!!! He would be the most wonderful choreographer!

27. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

This thread would be substantially more useful it it were limited to confirmed retirements, rather than speculative ones.

28. rosiekins

rosiekins New Member

I'm only referring to the NBC broadcast. (I did miss about ten minutes of the middle, so maybe they showed a blip of her then.)

29. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

But will Daniel Raad retire?

30. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I read some quotes from the "media" area right after men's long and Abott said he was soaking it all in because this was it (words to that effect).

Listening to Davis and White's pressers and interviews....this is it unless they don't win gold (maybe)

There were a lot of others leaving the ice this weekend who seemed to take "one last look".