Retirements 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by fan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mirage

mirage Member

Delete the team comp then.

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Out of Chan, V/M and D/W, Patrick is the only one who has actually mentioned the possibility of competing from what I have read. I *think* he's mentioned about competing in World's 2015 at the earliest. I think he also said something about getting another Canadian championship to tie with Kurt Browning just to tick him off -- which I presume was done in fun as it seems likes those two are friends.

V/M at the beginning of this past season came out and said it would be their last Skate Canada etc. but as we headed to the Olympics, they sounded more like the "we're taking it one year at a time". When asked about staying, it seemed like at first it was "after we get home and spend some down time, we'll see".

D/W have been quieter about this whole retirement business from the little I've read. IIRC, Meryl would like to finish up her degree which I can understand since she's 27 (I think) and the eldest of the four top ice dancers (Charlie is 26 as is Scott while Tessa is the youngest at 24). My guess is they too, will take a wait-and-see attitude over the summer and see if they are up to still competing.

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

But who is going to coach them? Based on their comments I think they have to change coaches if they keep going.

4. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it would be to tie Brian Orser at 8, as Patrick already has 7 titles, which is more than Browning's 4. That said, I will be surprised if Patrick actually does end up competing again. He seems like he is burned out from it and is ready to move on with life. If that is the case, I would miss his skating but I hope he does what is right for him to be happy.

5. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

No, I don't think the issue is the Olympic team competition, the issue was that Poland's Maciej Cieplucha was the alternate for the Olympics as Parkinson was the last competitor to qualify an Olympic spot from 2013 Nebelhorn (Cieplucha was also 25th at 2013 World Championships, missing a chance to automatically qualify an Olympic spot).

Interestingly, Parkinson benefited the most from Samuel Contesti's retirement in 2012, winning the 2013 Italian National Championship which led to him being selected for Nebelhorn and qualifying the Olympic spot. Parkinson was actually the 2nd placed Italian at 2013 Worlds (Paolo Bacchini was 27th, Parkinson 33rd) and placed 2nd at 2014 Italian National Championships (Ivan Righini, who will be at Worlds next week, won gold in his debut representing Italy).

6. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

And then again to tie Montgomery Wilson with 9?

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He qualified for Men's. He would have skated if there was no team comp.

8. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I think the idea was to tie Kurt's 4 World titles. But I got the impression Patrick said it jokingly.

9. mirage

mirage Member

Oh I see, yes, Ziggy I can understand your feelings now. Maciej would have benefitted much more from the experience going forward in skating, whereas it is just a notch (albeit a very nice notch) in Parkinson's belt.

But, I still think the team comp should go.

10. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I think the "problem" with Bonifacio Parkinso is that there was a skater with Italian passport who was better overall. And since it is not the skater but the country that has the spot at the Olympics - maybe they could have sent that other skater...

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Which skater? Righini has a passport, but since he competed internationally for Russian in Fall 2012, he needed an exception from the ISU to compete for Italy before 1 July 2014. I've never seen an ISU Communication with an exception granted for him.

12. professordeb

OK, that makes more sense about it being World Titles because I'm sure I remembered the number "4" and Kurt Browning. And I too, thought Patrick was joking about tying Kurt but not so sure he was joking about coming back. He hasn't said "no, not interested, not coming back" but more along the lines of V/M and "going to take some time, see how things go, how I feel" -- in that vein.

13. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It has always seemed to me that Tessa and Scott are retiring. There certainly was a lot of talk about that at Worlds last year.

14. professordeb

That's true, especially at World's last year and even early in this season. However, as the Olympics approached, I sensed that there is perhaps a slight shift in their thinking. I could be totally off base, but when asked outright if they are returning/retiring, the answers were more along the lines of "we'll see after we get home and have time to let this sink in" which I have taken to mean that they haven't decided one way or another for sure. Just listening to some of the interview they have given since the Olympics have completed leads me to believe they haven't decided one way or the other ... just yet.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why would the team event have anything to do with it? :confused:

Cieplucha had two chances to qualify. It's a shame he didn't - especially given he was so close - but that's (largely) on him.

The issue was the Italian Federation using an incredibly idiotic qualification system which gave Parkinson the Olympic spot because of one good FS performance IIRC, despite him being generally very inconsistent Righini should have gone.

He has competed internationally for Italy this season so the exception must have been granted.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Championships require a longer sit-out period for singles, but that wouldn't have made a difference in his case. He is ITA's entry for Saitama.

I thought he wrote in FB that he's be going to either Euros or the Olympics, and then pulled it. I thought then he wasn't granted the exception for championships.

17. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Olympics are a little bit different story to ISU rules and motherland wise decisions, kwanfan and Ziggy: to be eligible to go to Olympics you have to owe your country passport + did not represent another country for 3 years before the start of the Olympics. So the idea about Bariev/Righini skating in Olympics had come from IOC rules not-knowledgeable person.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Oh, yes, I had forgotten about the IOC rules :duh:.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh! I didn't realise that. Thank you for educating us on this and in this case, my apologies to Parkinson are in order. It's not like Bacchini has been consistent this season (or ever, for that matter), either so whilst I still disagree with the Italian's Fed qualification system, it was right to send Parkinson.

20. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks for this clearance; in this regard it will be interresting to see what happens with savchenko after this season, as there is no german guy within the possible candidates after szolkowy, as it was mentioned in a recent press release.

21. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Which press release? And there would still be Florian Just for example. Or a now single skater could be trained. But I really do not think that Aliona wants to continue.

22. Jeschke

me neither, but who knows :D
    sorry, i always was fan of vartmann/just but florian is unfortunately not the same level as aliona; okay, i have to admit, how many guys are? but i think there would've been a lots of big hurdels for him.

23. care bear

care bear Active Member

"Pirouette" (March 2014) reported that at least one tryout with B. Massot was planed.

24. Jeschke

oh, poor daria :D
    steuer hold and coached her for so long as she didn't have had any partner :D this would be kinda embarassing :D

popova/massot didn't split or have i missed somethign?

25. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Regarding ex-Bariev, now Ivan Righini.

I talked to him and Oleg Vassiliev in December at Golden Spin. Vassiliev specifically told me that from the end of October 2013, Ivan Righini was eligible to represent Italy at all competitions. I specifically asked him if that meant that he was in the mix to go to Sochi.
    According to Vassiliev - Italien Fed sent skaters to various international competitions before Nationals and told all of the skaters that they would compare their results from those competitions and those from Nationals. They told them they would add up all the results and send overall the best skater to Sochi.

Unfortunately, I was not familiar with IOC rule and could not press on that, but it seemed to me that both the skater & the coach were counting on Righini possibly being on the Olympic team.

Also - I think there was an article about this on neveitalia.it

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Plushenko seemed sure he could retire after the TE and allow Kovtun to skate the Men's individual event. Assuming skaters and even coaches are up-to-date on all the rules doesn't always intersect with reality.

Savchenko won't have any issue if 1. she continues to skate for Germany and finds a partner who won't skate for another country by the designated IOC period or 2. If she doesn't skate for Germany past next season (or possibly next February. I can't open the IIC doc right now.)

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Virtue and Moir were interviewed in (fake) London yesterday: http://london.ctvnews.ca/no-decision-yet-on-competitive-skating-future-of-virtue-and-moir-1.1741470
    Patrick Chan spoke at Earl Haig Secondary School in North York on Friday March 21: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...pep-talk-to-north-york-high-schools-march-21/

28. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm glad Chan is leaning towards staying in. :)

29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Same here. Glorious skating skills like his are always a good addition to any event.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's great news about Chan but then when I think about him staying another 4 years without a coach... :wall: