Requesting the resignation of Ottavio Cinquanta

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by calica, Apr 11, 2014.

1. coraczek

coraczek Member

But even more people would have signed the petition if not the attack at Sotnikova. This shouldn't be included in the petition.

2. Amy03

Amy03 Member

Two years time is more then enough to turn everything upside down, his recent proposal about removing the sp, shows that anything will do as long as he get's to save money, what he doesn't take into considerations is that the ISU will likely lose more money then what they would save, simply because less people would be willing to travel only to see one segment.

3. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I agree.

I was ready to sign the petition until I read down the bullet points and saw the reference to the Olympic results. For me, it then changed from a genuine attempt to get rid of Cinquanta (which I agree with) to yet another means to bash Sotnikova. Disgusting. I won't be signing.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I agree and won't sign it either.
    If someone wanted the petition succeed, naming skaters in the petition was not very wise move. Now the majority or Russians won't sign it, plus those who honestly believe that Sotnikova should have won...that cost a lot of signatures of those who would agree that Cinquanta should resign.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Cinquanta's "proposals" aren't anywhere on the agenda of proposals to be voted on at Congress in Dublin in June. But by all means if people are concerned they should let their concerns be known to the federations to which they belong as a member. If people are mass e-mailing every single member federation of the ISU though, their e-mails are more than likely going to end up in someone's spam folder and ignored. :shuffle:

It's mostly angry Yunabombers and North Americans who have a beef about speed skating, and/or figure skating not having the popularity it had in North America in the late 1990s. But guess what? Most countries that are members of the ISU don't have separate federations for speed and figure because doing so wouldn't be sustainable for ice sports in those countries. For example, speed skating is far more popular in countries like the Netherlands and Norway than figure skating is. What is good for the sport in North America cannot be applied necessarily to other countries and to suggest doing so is highly patronising.

Figure skating may have declined in popularity in North America, but over the past decade since IJS has been introduced the sport has become more popular in some countries. Japan for example hosted a very successful World Championships a mere two weeks ago with sell out crowds despite the fact that many Olympic medallists didn't show up. If the changes in the sport have been so bad and the skating/skaters now so awful, why is the sport more popular than ever in places like Japan? Perhaps the anger of those who signed the petition would be better directed at their own federations. :shuffle:

And Monica Friedlander has zero credibility after her stunt last season of writing an article about her own petition. :blah:

No, they are more useless than a chocolate teapot if the reasoning they employed are derived from either of the petitions linked. :p

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

If it's to have Didier Gailhaguet instead, then NO thanks... ;)

7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Could US fans get any angrier at usfs?

I'm still waiting for this geographical shift in popularity to mean something. It's been a decade now. When skating was popular in the US, it funneled $$$$$$$$ into ISU. When it lost its popularity, the ISU lost tons of money, coverage, endorsements, etc... People keep harping about how popular it's become in Asia and Europe for 10 years now, but the ISU is still broke and constantly talking about drastic changes to save a buck or two, like some sort of business on the brink of collapse.

8. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

Gailhaguet's certainly not an attractive alternative, IMO. Sadly, I think the alternative could be a double bill of Michelle Kwan and Janet Lynn handing out bags of money and hugging babies... and some people would still find a way of looking at things with the glass half empty. I think its obvious that change in general is needed.

9. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I too think that Sotnikova defeated Kim fairly in Sochi and that part of the petition was idiotic, but signed anyway. Cinquanta needs to go.

10. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

[HR][/HR]Signed it, He needs to go.

I'm also fine with anyone mentioning the Sochi results as a huge negative,
    The more it is brought up the more it's gonna stick
    They brought the rain,
    Now they'll have to deal with the flood

11. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Where did you get the idea the ISU is broke? :confused:

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Like others, I would have signed until I read the statements about Sotnikova. This particular petition is a reflection of the authors personal opinions with which I disagree. And, no, just because one might be anti-war, doesn't mean all anti-war petitions are equal or valid.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

For me to sign a petition, it has to be based on facts, principles, and professionalism. This petition is poorly written, based on personal likes and dislikes of the writer. When it results in hateful comments about a skater rather than Mr cinquanta (and even he needs to be booted out on principles and actions rather than hateful feelings), it is a misguided petition. I will not sign it.

14. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

From the public statements issued by ISU. Where else would I get it from? Just the recent release about $peedy's urgently needed drastic changes in both sports alone was peppered with cost saving ideas.

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I won't sign it either.

I won't sign it not only because of the veiled attacks on Sotnikova, but also because it blames $peedy for a whole lot of things that aren't directly his doing. And I say that as no fan of $peedy. It's not his fault that the popularity of figure skating has declined. It is, however, his fault that the ISU is not responding to that by getting better/different deals with broadcasters to reflect that reality. Or responding to it by looking into other ways to make skating content available.

Also, it seems silly to ask for his resignation now because of things he did in 2002 (the new judging system). It would make more sense to point out some of the problems with how the system is being administered *now* - e.g. the wide variations in some of the marks for the same element for the same skater at the same competition - and ask for his resignation because the ISU hasn't done anything substantive to address these long-standing problems.

And like others, I won't put my name on anything that self-appointed "journalist" Monica Friedlander is involved with. Not after her shamefully unprofessional behaviour around the last petition she was involved with.

16. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

It looks as though the bit about Sotnikova and the ladies "controversy" has been removed from the petition.

I want Cinquanta replaced, but I'm still not signing it. Almost all of the comments say "justice for Yuna Kim," which has nothing to do with Cinquanta.

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It seems like removing the objectionable part would make me more likely to sign it- but now I am less likely to sign it.
    If it can be edited after our signatures are affixed, who knows what the author may ADD later.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Probably the parts the author removed for now! :lol:

19. Vash01

I have already seen what the writer wrote. Removing it will not make me sign it.

20. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

If we are talking about IJS, you cannot just point the finger at one person because there have been a number of officials within the ISU who were instrumental with setting it up and felt it was in the best interests in the sport. A new system would have happened anyway because 6.0 was a dinosaur that had had it's day. Also with the development of software and technology, the sport needed something that was going to bring it into the 21st century. That is why the point alone is just wrong. And just because an individual whose knowledge of the sport is questionable doesn't like it, doesn't validate the failure of the system. That is to say, their accusations of the failure of the system are not a fact but rather a perspective.

As others have said, IJS hasn't stopped the interest in sport in countries outside of North America.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Seriously. You don't edit the text of a petition *after* people have signed it. That's misleading and unethical.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  22. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

The backhanded attack on Adelina Sotnikova was dishonest and reprehensible in this so-called 'petition' supposedly against Cinquanta. Shame on anyone that buys into this rubbish.

Neither will I for the same reason.

The goal of the petition seems to damage Cinquanta as well as take cheap shots at Sotnikova, a skater who did nothing wrong. I refuse to sign this one but if a petition is made up specifically for the resignation of Cinquanta and not to personally insult Sotnikova nor any other skater then I will sign it.

ITA. Imo most who sign such a petition have an agenda against Sotnikova as well.

THIS!

Whole post. :respec:

My thoughts exactly. Some probably signed due to the reference to Adelina, now removed. It can just as easily be inserted again. Not to mention that the reference to the Sochi results is still there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  23. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

This discussion has been very confusing to read because the first thing I did was read the petition, sign it, and then proceed to read the rest of the comments that have been made since. I kept re-reading the petition looking for the names of skaters but couldn't find any so I'm glad someone mentioned that it had been edited at some point. The comments about Sotnikova, which I haven't seen, sound terrible but I think the controversy surrounding the results is real and the ISU has done their usual thing and just ignored it so I think that it is fair to mention that in this petition.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

But it would have been better just to say 'questionable judging in Sochi' rather than single out Sotnikova. It makes the petition seem an attack on her, when she bears no responsibility for how she was scored.

25. Vash01

Questionable judging did not take place in Sochi alone. It existed even before Cinquanta took over. The petition needs to be more direct about how he has hurt the sport. Figure skating judging is always going to have some subjectivity, and just because the writer of the petition did not like the results of a certain competition, Cinquanta should not have to resign. I will be happy to see him go but not over the judging in one discipline in Sochi. In addition, it's not like Sotnikova fell all over the place; in many peoples' opinion she deserved that gold (I would have placed her second, but I can live with her winning; she skated very well).

26. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

What about questionable judging at worlds 2013 and 2012? (I am talking about Chan winning the worlds) And questionable judging at Skate Canada a few years ago? (Chan winning with so many falls.) Or is it a problem only when the skater the author of the petition likes does not win? Does the author of the petition objects to all questionable judging or just to some questionable judging?

27. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

The authors had a petition about last year's men's result. It went nowhere.

28. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I'd like to start a petition requesting that Monica Friedlander stop making poitnless figure skating petitions that go nowhere :shuffle: especially when she tries to promote them as if she's got nothing to do with them.

29. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Me too.

By the way, Sotnikova is not named in the petition but the mention of the Sochi Ladies event is petty, as many of us applauded the results of that event. Still, Il Duce must GOOOO!!!! PARTIRE! PARTIRE! :scream:

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

She was. The petition was edited.