Repeating jumps question

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by johndockley92, Oct 28, 2012.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I know you can only repeat two triples in a program, how does this work for quads?

Can you repeat a quad and repeat two triples? Or is the rule about repeating triples and up?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Yes because quads are not considered the same as triples in the current rules.

ETA: That's why Javier Fernandez could do 4S, a 3F half loop 3S combo, and a solo 3S in his Skate Canada FS last night.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

he also could have done :
    4T-1/2 Lp-3S
    4S-3T
    4T
    4S
    3S-3T
    ;-)

4. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

With quads as with triples - one of the two must be done in combination, right?

I had this discussion with a friend last year at Nationals and she didn't believe me.

5. steve skater

steve skater Member

This would not be allowed. Of all the triples and quads, only two can be repeated. In your example, the skater would get a star (*; invalid element) for the 3S-3T, as the 3T would be the third quad/triple repeated jump. (I wish this rule were not in place!) As Sylvia mentioned, quads and triples with the same name are not considered the same jump.
    So a skater could do, say:
    4S
    4S-3T
    4T
    4T-2T
    3S
    3A
    3Lz
    3Lo-2T-2Lo

The 4S and 4T are repeated, so no other triple or quads can be repeated, but the skater can still do 3S (as it is a different animal than the 4S). If the 4S-3T had been 4S-2T, then a 3T could be performed in place of another triple with no penalty.

6. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ Does this not contradict what Sylvia just said? Now I'm confused.

7. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Bonus question: is there a limit to how many quad jumps a skater can do in a long program? Let's say Artur was fully fit and firing on all cylinders and prepared to unload his entire arsenal. Would he be allowed to do a layout like:

4T-3T
    4T
    4Lo
    4Lz
    4S
    (and then just add a couple of 3As and a 3Lz?)

8. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

There is no limit to number of quads performed so long as they are different. Technically speaking, if able to perform, a skater such as Mroz could do 2 4Ts 2 4S, 4f, 4Lo, 4Lz, and 3A :p

Be one hell of a hard program though lol quads way deep in the program

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

In skatak's example, the skater repeated 4T and 3T. That's it for jumps you can repeat (only two may be repeated). So if he did two 3S, the second 3sal would be invalid. He'd have to do another type of jump instead. Make sense? (Otherwise you'd get even further off the ideal of attempting all jump takeoffs; a skater could do, in 8 jumping passes, two 3Ts, two 4Ts, two lutzes, two flips, etc.)

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Another way to think of it:

You're allowed to repeat a maximum of two different jumps that have 3 or more revolutions.

Triple and quad jumps from the same takeoff are considered different jumps.

You're still limited to two repeats. And whichever jump you repeat can only be performed two times (instead of one). It is never allowed to do the same triple or quad jump more than twice.

11. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

No, to add on to the above post... In other words, a triple jump and a quad jump of the same type are NOT the same jump so in the same program, you can do a 4T, 4T+3Lo, and 3T (for example). Here, the 3T counts even though it is the 3rd toeloop jump in the program, but it is different from the quad because it is a triple.

The repeated jumps is another issue... as mentioned above, you can only repeat a maximum of 2 jumps triple OR quad. So if someone did two 4Ts and two 4Ss, that's it, you can not repeat any more triple or quad jumps.

12. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I have a different question regarding repeating jumps. I know of the two triples repeated, one should be in combination and the other should be solo. However, I see a lot of skaters miss an earlier combination and tack on another -2T to a planned solo jump (i.e. a 3S) and still do a planned 3S-2T later. How come one of them doesn't garner the +SEQ? I know that if they did two solo 3S, the second one would be penalized.

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There's no penalty for or rule against doing the repeated jump in combination both times.

This is not correct. The requirement is that a repeated jump must be in combination or sequence at least one of the times it's executed.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Summary for singles FS:

• Only two three-or-more revolution jumps may be repeated
    • For each repeated three-or-more revolution jump, at least one must be in combination/sequence; if both are performed solo, the second is treated as a +SEQ and the base value is reduced by to 80%
    • Triple and quad versions of the same jump type are not considered the same jump for counting repeats

Independent from the Zayak rule, currently the number of times a 2A can be repeated is two, but both can be solo jumps. So it is possible to have two repeated triple/quads and two 2A's.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  15. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Good summary, but just to clarify the second instance of a particular 3-or-more-revolution jump has its value multiplied by 0.8 (or 80%), not reduced by 80% (which would be equivalent to multiplying by 20%). This multiplier is applied to the base value (which you may know but some may not), and GOE is applied as usual.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thanks! I've made the corrections.

ETA: Also, the base as reported in the protocols, includes the 10% bonus, if applicable.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  17. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

that looked too easy, should've remembered the 'no more than two similar triple+ jumps repeated'. In my example the 3S of the last combo would be already invalid.

18. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Can you do your repeated jumps as 2 different combinations?

say a
    4T + 3T
    4T + 3T + 2S

2 identical combinations?
    4T + 3T
    4T + 3T

and

can you repeat 2 and lower revolution jumps as many times as you would like?

say
    4T + 2T
    4T + 2T
    3T + 2T
    3S + 2T

etc etc?

this looks wrong to me...

19. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Well, you can only have 3 combos but you can repeat 2T and 2Lo as much as you like.

20. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

This is NOT okay, as you can only do a total of THREE combinations/sequences, and only ONE of them may be a 3jump combo. Double jumps through the Lutz have no limit, however, you can only do a maximum of 2 double Axels.

21. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

In theory what you're asking here would be legal, but 4T+3T+2S isn't a good example because it isn't a possible combination unless the skater deliberately landed the 3T on the opposite foot, which has never been done. But change the 2S to 2T, and it would be perfectly legal -- and use up both the repeated jumps on toe loops, quad and triple.

Legal. Not advisable but there's no official way to penalize the repetitiveness; judges could ding the Choreography component if it bothered them enough.
    I do seem to remember seeing 3A+2T twice in the same program, sometime back in the 90s, maybe because the skater intended to do 3A+3T but couldn't pull it off either time.

You're only allowed to do a total of three combinations in the same free program -- one can have three jumps, otherwise the max is two jumps per combination.

So a skater could intentionally do, say,
    4T + 2T
    3T + 2T
    solo 4T
    solo 3T
    3S + 2T +2T

My guess is that several judges would be bothered enough by the overreliance on toe loops to penalize that in components.

Then if they unintentionally popped all the 3T and 4T into doubles, they could end up with as many as 8 double toes.

22. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

1. 2T+2T+2T
    2. 2T+2T
    3. 2T+2T
    4. 2T
    5. 2T
    6. 2T
    7. 2T
    8. 2A

afaik, you could do that if you really wanted.. so you could technically have 11 double toes :p

23. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Thanks, I forgot about the number of combos restriction.

11 2Ts :rofl:

24. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Wow, so you were at the British ladies LP in 2010 too? I jest but there was one skater that only did double flip (and the odd double loop) the whole programme.

25. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

O_O I'd love to see the day that someone did a quad + triple combo with a 3L on the end, even a double loop really. The control you'd need would be ridiculous. Perhaps once someone has quad loop down, a quad loop + triple loop combo would be possible.

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I think it was Elvis Stojko in 1995 or something like that.
    I remember that I was wondering if this was legal to repeat the exact same combinaison.

27. briancoogaert

And Lenka Kulovana at 1997 Euros (IIRC) and her 3 or 4 double Salchows ! lol

28. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I feel like i've definitely seen practice footage of a skater landing 4T+3Lp, I also feel like it may have been Oda but i can't recall. I've had a look a youtube but can't find anything.

29. briancoogaert

IIRC, 4T+3T+3L has already been done in pratice by Plushenko (?)
    Never heard about 4T+3L.
    But we have not so much 3A+3L, which is an impressive combo I'd love to see again :)

30. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

So when Oda repeated the 3axel in SC in the FD without a combo was it then null and void as a point getter?