1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rep. Todd Akin: Women don't get pregnant from 'legitimate' rape

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by olympic, Aug 20, 2012.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...from-legitimate-rape-20120819,0,7447581.story

The Republican Candidate for Senator vs. Claire McCaskill (D) in Missouri stated the following (bold mine):

OMG! What a caveman.

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Wrong section???

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

oops. :eek:

If the mods could please move this to PI. Sorry!

4. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

ahg. im filled with rage.

5. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I thought I was in the wrong section, but I still want to comment, I'm heading to bed.

This is disgusting. The female body has a way of protecting itself from pregnancy against 'legitimate rape'??? There are times I just shudder from complete and utter ignorance (Palin for example). To hear this makes me so angry I want well do more than yell.

Wake up women. Repubs are going to get you back to where you belong. On maternity leave forever and ever. And if you can't afford these kids, well, that's YOUR fault. Your body obviously didn't protect you against your 'so-called' rape.

I'm furious.

6. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I don't care so much about the wording, but that he is a complete idiot

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I've heard that theory before but I'm shocked that anyone, especially for someone with such high social and political position, would take it seriously. Schmuck, I'll say.

8. misskarne

misskarne #408

What the...

I can't...

What did I just read? :eek:

I nearly put my fist through the computer screen.

9. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Unbelievable. WTF is "legitimate" rape anyway? How does any self-respecting woman vote republican?

10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Does this man have daughters? is he married? So if any of them were to be raped and ended up pregnant, would he have the same statements?
    There are simply no words to describe the outrage that I have. Let's hope that the missouri voters are smarter than this idiot.

11. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

Missouri is the state where students don't have to do an assignment if it's against their religious beliefs. I don't have a lot of faith in Missouri at this point.

12. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but... WTF are people smoking down there when insane batshit crazy loony-tunes can become legitimate candidates for public office?

Last I saw he was 11 points up on McCaskill, hopefully she can cash in on this and take advantage... Because the idea of this guy being a United States Senator is a joke and a half...

14. purple skates

purple skates Shadow Dancing

Because we are not one-issue voters, and we are smart enough to realize that it takes all types and can counteract those whose opinions are more fringe.

I resent your inference that we are not self-respecting.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Joe Scarborough was almost apoplectic this morning. Between this clown and members of the House GOP skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee, it was almost too much for him.

16. query5

query5 New Member

sorry but Rape is about power and the abuse of it.

that is why is so horrendous, you might be able to forget the act, but you never forget how you feel and how you have to think twice about men, people in power and their actions.

you heal physically in short term, but mentally and emotionally it takes years

17. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Just how does this guy think the female reproductive system works, anyway? Is the woman's egg somehow supposed to "know" that a sperm comes from a rapist, and not let it in? Weird.

18. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

No idea how they think it works, but this particular gem of nonsense has been around anti-abortion circles for years. This is just the first time a person in a public position has said it for everyone to hear.

19. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

What outrageous stupidity and/or contempt for women! Hopefully McCaskill can come back and defeat this ignorant misogynist. This is just another example of a Republican party who could not care less about the welfare of women.

20. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Yeah, this guy is why I'm not a fan of the "Root for the craziest person in the opposing party to get the nomination" strategy; apparently Democrats were hoping he'd win his primary. What if this guy actually wins in November?

21. heckles

Yeah, I recall reading an old brochure from Birthright that made a similar claim. If only eggs could fortify themselves from ill-advised conceptions, we'd be living in a better world.

22. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Here's a scary detail about Akin. He is on the House Science and Technology Committee.

23. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

My apologies, that was a knee jerk reaction.

24. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

25. heckles

Imagine a sperm knocking at an egg's door.

Sperm: Madam, may I come in?

Egg: What kind of sperm are you? A sperm from a loving embrace, or from a rape?

Sperm: The latter, ma'am.

Egg: Well, I'm not that kind of girl! Good-bye!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. LilJen

LilJen Reaching out with my hand sensitively

I'd love to know what he thinks constitutes an 'illegitimate' rape. Would that be the kind where the woman was "asking for it"?

27. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue CLINTON / KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Apparently at least some national GOP senators want him to resign the nomination. He has until Tuesday (tomorrow) 5pm to do so.

The Missouri GOP should seriously consider installing Jim Talent (whom Claire McCaskill beat in 2006, and who is also Akin's predecessor in the 2nd district in Congress) as the Senate nominee in Akin's place. While Jim Talent is also very conservative, at least he's super intelligent and generally not a nutcase.

28. Prancer

Prancer Cursed for all time Staff Member

Way back in the dark ages when I was in sex ed, I was told that when women are not aroused, they are not, um, lubricated, and that the dry environment is not conducive to sperm motility.

I believe that is still the theory? Maybe there's a new one.

See above. If the woman gets pregnant, she must have been aroused; ergo, it wasn't rape.

That's what I was taught in sex ed, anyway.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

30. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

:eek: I had never heard/was taught that! While it certainly is possible that a "dry" environment is less conducive -- I doubt that most women's vagina's are THAT dry, even when not sexually aroused -- besides which, the sperm don't spend much time in the vagina anyway. I thought that Akin's "theory" about rape/pregnancy was along the lines of the "you can't get pregnant the first time" misinformation.
    :eek: Were you really taught that?!? :yikes: :scream: