removing velcro from a wall

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Jul 9, 2011.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Stupidly I hung some pictures in my son's room using velcro and now that we're moving, is there anyway to get the velcro off without removing the paint?

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Pretty much, no. Sorry.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Why not try Goo Gone? It's a solvent for adhesives. If that doesn't work, isopropyl alcohol, nail polish remover, and WD-40 also work on some adhesives. Baby oil may also work.

I make no promises that any of this stuff won't damage or stain the paint, so try it on one small area first, see what happens before you really go for it.

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

If it's a small area, don't stress over it. I accidentally removed some paint when improperly pulling off some 3M picture hangers. I spackled over it and the otherwise-crazy landlady didn't charge me much. (I also put nail holes everywhere and spackled them too.) Live and learn.

FYI, 3M actually makes some picture-hanging adhesives that look/act like velcro. I find it useful for hanging light items that I might want to switch up. That one time I took paint off the wall, I pulled it straight off at 90 degrees, which is NOT the right way to do it! You slooowly pull the tab straight down and the glue will pull away from the wall, no paint damage.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I second the Goo Gone, but I use it as a last resort. I try baby oil or WD50 first. Pull up the edge and put a drop of oil, wait a few minutes, pull a bit more, and reapply. Goo Gone will take care of any stubborn spots.

6. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

First try heating it with a hair dryer and rubbing/scraping off what you can.

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions