Releases for Skaters with Multiple Citizenships

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kwanfan1818, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

But they aren't ISU championships. The point is that certain events count more and will cause a longer sitting out period. Team Trophy and ISU cheesefests and GP events most definitely are not championship events and don't require the longer wait.

2. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

That´s what I said and what you have said, too. I was re-read your initial post and we both telling the same which I was omissing first, sorry.

3. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Loot at the ISU Communication no 1420 with more specifications on these items.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you for the communication number.

1420 specifies the deadline by which the federation must apply on behalf of the pair or dance skater who has not been given a release, which is no later than 30 days before the start of the competition and no earlier than after the skater is eligible to compete. As you pointed out, without a release, Davison would not have 30 days before the start of Nice Worlds for the US to request an exception, were Skate Canada to refuse to release him.

However, I don't see anything in that release that specifies that Rule 109 applies to pairs and dance skaters. Like in Rule 109, Communication 1420 has separate provisions for pairs and dance skaters.

For example, the deadline for applying for an exception is 1 July. However, as A.c. reads:

There would be no reason to make a rule with a deadline of 1 July and an exception for pairs and dance skaters where one skater is not a citizen if the entire rule applied to pairs and dance only.

5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Hahaha. I think this would not be as popular in figure skating as it is in baseball... I can already see the grumbling about the off-season break ups. Imagine if CAN, USA, JPN, CHN, etc could trade dancers. It would be worse. Fans would be mad because it would take some of the personal drama out of these situations, which is half the reason why ice dancing is on television.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Sorry, maybe we are discussing too many points together. I don´t think we are in disagreement here. Generally, there are two different periods for single skaters and those for Pairs and dance as well as the deadlines. If you are a single skater, you have to apply before July 1st for next season, after this date you are finished and have to wait for another season. However for pairs and dance the application should be made anytime in the year and waiting period is year + 1 day from your last international competition. But your partner has to ne a citizen of your "new" country.

Also for single skaters, if you are not a citizen of your new fed you have to have approval from the country of your origin, no matter if you had ever skated for them internationally, only in cases you were not, this approval could be exchanged by you/your parents declaration you were never participated in national events of your country of origin (hope I made this clear and understandable, cause it´s really complicated).

In Davison´s case we are talking about skater in pairs discipline, so only 1 year waiting period applied since Worlds 2010, however if he would not be released by Skate Canada, he has to wait two years at least and then ask ISU for exception having dual citizenship. But this application would be used only for a competition which starts 30 days after the application was made which is making his trip to Worlds 2012 impossible.

All of this if I understand the rules how they are written.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

As a dual citizen, Davison does not have to obtain a release from Skate Canada in order to skate for the United States. Rule 109(2)(b)(i) applies only to skaters who do not have dual citizenship. The Rule is a little bit opaque insofar as they apply to dual nationals, but even if the first federation can try to block the skater, it is clear that the skater can apply for an exception from the ISU Council at any time. As I mentioned upthread, there is no apparent basis for turning down an application from Davison (if he makes one), since he was born in the United States, and the USFSA is not an upstart federation trying to create a national team from scratch.