Red Nails, Black Skates: Gender, Cash, and Pleasure On and Off the Ice.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

Kateri, PeterG, Rottie and 3 others like this.
  2. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Seems like a really interesting read. Have never heard of it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

That looks like an interesting read. I think I'll look for it.

4. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

It does look interesting!

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds well worth reading, and obviously it is a scholarly work as Rand (as mentioned in the link) is a Professor of Art & Visual Culture and of Women and Gender Studies. Since Rand has also been a competitive skater in the adult ranks, her views both theoretical and practical might be illuminating. I hope the writing proves to be witty and wry and not too academic and dry.

The book is up on Amazon.com for pre-order.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Q&A with the author, Erica Rand: http://www.pressherald.com/life/audience/cool-attraction_2012-05-13.html

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks for posting, Sylvia.

Absolutely, it is "ridiculous" for anyone to assume that "if you are graceful you are not being athletic..." It helps athletes in all sports, including football, basketball, and baseball to train in any and all kinds of dance (as it helps give them grace and more body awareness).

In this same vein, check out the recent GSD thread with Barb Underhill working with hockey players -- there is a video in that thread showing how she helped a very tall hockey player to improve his blade skills and overall body awareness, which helped save and further his career -- b/c he improved so much after working with Barb. Really it's about time the rest of the world understood what a terrific sport/ art is figure skating... A crucible for life, and for improving lives in many many ways.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

The book is now available in Kindle format for 9.99, and less than 20 as paperback. So I'm going to give it a try. Will report back

9. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I've always been curious/wondering about how these concepts-gender, race, cultural aspect, play in figure skating. Maybe this book could be my solution book?

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

I bought the book in Kindle format, and I must say it's not easy to skimp through this with my mini-I-touch. The writing style is academic-ish, but it's written for a general audience who don't follow skating closely but with an interest in gender studies. There're parts of the book that are definitely opinion pieces, like what she says about Elvis Stojko's comments about quads. (That chapter caught my eye so I started reading that instead of from the beginning)
    Eta But some parts are informational, like the partabout skating costs, which are based on personal experience plus some anecdotes. That part is also less academic ish

I think this book is for a really niche audience though. It's either for people with an interest in sports and gender biases or someone who likes skating.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  11. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

jlai - thank you for the tip. I just bought the book as a lecture during my vacation which is going to start soon. Just hope it will arrive in time. :)