Recipes thread (continued)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by emason, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

For me, an electric oven is okay for baking cakes and cookies, but I really don't like the stove part. I feel like stuff doesn't cook the way it should, or that it takes longer. I also don't like judging medium-high, etc., by a simple turn of the knob. I like to see the flame. I believe I have a gas line there, so if this thing ever goes kaput I will most likely buy a gas range. I would miss the electric oven though.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Can you explain what you mean? I do have one question. I cooked my egg in a rather large pot with a lot of water and the egg basically sank. Is that normal? In the videos I saw the egg stayed floating near the top. It didn't seem to make one bit of difference, though. However, with the egg completely submerged I don't know if there is any need to baste the top of the egg. If I am understanding what you mean when you say baste.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Brian, that soup sounds delicious! What is the recipe?

4. BigB08822

I actually haven't decided on a final recipe yet. I have been looking at a bunch online. The gist of it is that I will sautee some onions and garlic in butter and throw in my asparagus stalks cut into inch pieces (I will cut off the tips and set aside). I will then cover with about 4 or so cups of chicken stock and let that simmer for about 30 minutes or until the asparagus is very tender. The you puree it in batches in a blender. I will just use my immersion blender. After it is pureed I will throw in my crab meat to heat that through and at the very end I will finish with some cream. Of course you can season as you like, I plan on adding just a very tiny bit of crab boil for some kick. :) I will take the asparagus tips and blanch them before I poach my eggs and those will be garnish as well. I will probably blanch them in the same water I will poach my eggs in, maybe it will infuse a little of the flavor into the egg.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Okay. At some point I have to try to make this. I have a regular blender, but have seen enough of Giada's shows to know how to use it properly when pureeing hot liquids :).

6. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

That's my plan too. I can't bear to get rid of large appliances that still work. And that electric bas***d just keeps hanging in there! :lol:

7. Stefanie

I think I'll make Chicken Cacciatore tonight. :)

8. BigB08822

I opened up the crab meat and it really is minced. :eek: I thought it would at least have some bigger pieces but it is so finely minced it will all but disappear in the soup. Oh well, at least it will add some flavor.

If I had some bread crumbs I could make an easy little crab cake to top each bowl of soup with. I could go get that...hmmm

9. BigB08822

:wuzrobbed I ruined my soup!!! :wuzrobbed x 10

It was so delicious. I had it made to the point where I could add in the crab and then the cream. I was going to just add in the crab and wait to add the cream last minute before my boyfriend got home. The crab smelled nasty to me but seafood generally does, IMO. I added it and now the entire pot REAKS and I simply can not even bring myself to taste it. I am literally gagging when I take the lid off. It was so so good before that fatal move. :( I am going to remake this tomorrow, I am determined. All I will need is to buy 3 more bunches of asparagus, 1 carton of chicken stock and an onion. I have everything else, so that is good.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((Brian)))))))))))))))))))
    Was the crab not fresh?
    I made the mistake of buying that pre-cooked canned crab and not putting it in the fridge right away, and it spoiled.

11. BigB08822

It just stank like a dirty beach, to be honest. I am very sensitive to the smells of seafood even though I love the taste. If anything smells remotely like the ocean then I can't stomach it. It is why I wont eat any fish unless it is a fishstick or raw tuna in a sushi roll. I don't think it was ruined but it was "minced" crab. When I bought it I thought I was buying claw meat and getting a good deal. This crab was on sale buy one get one free, if that says anything about the quality.

At least I know it was delicious before that, the flavors were really good. I wont have to spend too much tomorrow to remake it as asparagus is only $1.50 a bundle right now (half the normal price on a good day!). I already have the butter, cream (didn't use it yet), and garlic plus I had half of a carton of stock left so I only need to buy one of those again. This is going to end up being one expensive meal but damn it, I'd rather spend more than throw it all away completely. My immersion blender worked like a charm, couldn't believe how quickly it had everything completely pureed.

12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Good quality, fresh seafood should smell like the ocean - fresh ocean water. If it has that "Fishy" smell, then something is wrong with it. The sea doesn't smell like fish.

13. BigB08822

It reminded me of the smell of the beach in TX when we would go. The beaches in that part of TX are disgusting with tons of seaweed and lots of washed up dead fish. So when I say the ocean I really mean fishy smell. I just tend to equate that smell with the ocean because I thought that was how the ocean was supposed to smell until I was old enough to go to FL and see (and smell) a real beach. lol

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ewwwww, that IS rotten fish, I'm afraid.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh Brian, I'm so sorry the meal was a disaster! Bravo to you for sticking to it. New recipes are often a learning experience anyway, so at least this time you know it will be great. If you really want to get crab into it, why not go for some crabmeat (maybe with a little good Louisiana seasoning!) spread on crostini on the side? That way you get all the flavours you had hoped for, but let the asparagus soup also stand on its own. Any time you have fresh ingredients in season, they really should be the star of the show.

All this talk of immersion blenders - I think I really need to get one. You can't believe the number of blenders we have been through in the past few years - between soups, daily smoothies and blender cocktails, we're quite hard on them. :lol:

On a related note for Brian especially, Martha Hall Foose has just published her second book. She's a local writer, and both books are filled with gorgeous photography and memories of life in the south, and fabulous recipes. She's the perfect combination of trained, skilled cook and someone who loves to cook for family and friends and celebrates heritage recipes and methods. The new book is A Southerly Course, and the first one is Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.

16. Stefanie

Hmm...what exactly are blender cocktails? Sounds delightful! :)

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Pina Coladas

• One blender full of ice
    • 1 cup rum of choice
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut cream (not milk)

Makes 4 tall servings.

Variation - Trader Vic's Chi Chis

• One blender full of ice
    • 1 cup vodka
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut cream (not milk)
    • Dash of grenadine
    • Fresh mint leaves to garnish.

Makes 4 tall servings.

:summer:

Angelskates and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Stefanie

Thank you, Jenny! Can't wait to try those. :) I actually have pineapple juice on hand for once. I just to need to buy the coconut cream.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think you are in the US - Coco Lopez is the preferred brand. 1/2 cup is what recipes usually call for, but we reduce that to 1/3 because we don't like things too sweet. Do let us know if you enjoy :)

20. Stefanie

Oh yeah, I am familiar with Coco Lopez. ;) It occurred to me that I made Blue Hawaiis in a blender one time. And they were delicious. But I don't think I saved the recipe. (And, yes, I know I could find a bunch online now.)

21. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Oh Jenny, you absolutely MUST get one! It is an amazing appliance. Once you make homemade mayonnaise with it (it takes all of 20 seconds) you will not regret the purchase.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

OK I'll get one (doesn't take much to get me to spend money on kitchen stuff ;)) - but not for mayo. I make that with my stand mixer. :)

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!

24. BigB08822

Thanks for the suggestion, Jenny!

You must get an immersion blender. I got mine at a high end kitchen store and it was only $20! That was a good deal so it may be more on a regular day. It is a nice brand, I think Cuisinart. 200 watts which is all you really need.

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love homemade mayo; a buddy of mine had an ex-bf who made some and it was so good - with an almost sweet taste to it.
    I learned this from a fishmonger in Vancouver; I didn't know this before 2006! :eek:

26. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I make a curried chicken salad that gets raves every time I serve it to guests. The secret ingredient: the homemade mayonnaise.

27. Stefanie

It makes you wonder why some people don't like mayonnaise. Maybe it's because they've never had homemade?

28. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

My problem with it is the eggs. Don't like eggs at all!

29. BigB08822

My whole life I thought Miracle Whip WAS mayonnaise. :shuffle:

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: Nope.
    I used to as well, and Mom and I used to argue about which was better. She has always hated Miracle Whip; I like MW or mayo, but for certain sandwiches, the taste of MW works for me. I made potato salad with Miracle Whip for a family cookout once, and she flat-out refused to eat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.