Recipes thread (continued)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by emason, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yehudi, in this dish the rice is cooked with the water that is left over from poaching the chicken. You should put a whole chicken (nothing bigger than 4 lb at most) into a pot that is just big enough for it. Cover it with water. Add 2-3 smashed cloves of garlic and a few slices of ginger, maybe even some bruised lemongrass stalks. Turn on the heat, bring it just to a boil then cover and turn the heat off, but don't move the pot off the stove. After 30 minutes, turn on the heat, again bring to a simmer then turn the heat off. Wait another 30 minutes. This method will give you a perfectly poached chicken and a pot full of fragrant chicken broth. Take the chicken out but don't discard the water.

To cook the rice, heat a little oil (or chicken fat, if you have it!) in a wide pot over medium heat and saute the rice in that for a few minutes until the rice has gone opaque white. Then for each cup of rice, add two cups of the broth left over from poaching the chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Enjoy :)

2. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

Today I am really sad because for breakfast I had the last slice of this cake. I know I shouldn't make another one very soon, but it was yummy.....

3. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Thanks! For those who don't know, this dish is pretty much to singaporians what hot dogs and hamburgers are to us. Walk around singapore and pretty much every street vendor sells it. The chicken part is ok, but the rice is extremely yummy!

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

TV food host Tony Bourdain loves this stuff. He also said in his blog that it would actually be difficult to re-create in the states, because of the type of chickens they use in Singapore? Is this true? I'd like to try though - it looks great. I'd also like to try that bone marrow soup.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Ooh, that recipe does look good -- thanks for posting. (Although it makes me laugh whenever I see an Aussie recipe that calls for "tasty cheese" :lol:)

And vegetarian sausage rolls are a guilty pleasure of mine. Last time I made them, I used a recipe for Raw portobello sausages made in the dehydrator -- kinda defeats the purpose of the rawness when you bung them into puff pastry dough and bake them ... but I had a lot. And they were extremely yummy.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is having a big St. Patty's Day party this weekend. I am in charge of bringing Jello shots so I am making margarita jello shots. I know that is better for Cinco De Mayo but they will be green, so it all works. To make them really stand out I would like to find a way to put a cute little shamrock on top of each jello shot. The problem is I can't figure out how to go about doing that. What would be an easy way of doing that? I want it to be edible as it wouldn't be fun to pick them off before you eat each one. Edible glitter wouldn't work because I don't think that would taste very good, no one wants something crunchy with their jello shot. Any ideas or am I out of luck (no pun intended, hehe)?

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ how about green tinted salt and then use a stencil to make 4 leaf clover shape? Or white would look pretty too!

8. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

So I found a lazy person's recipe (if you have a rice cooker).

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Hainanese-Chicken-Rice-Express-L756.html

9. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

For anyone using weightwatchers, they have a yummy lemon chicken with broccoli recipe on their website. I just made it and tossed it over some whole grain angel hair pasta and it is very yummy. Took a little over an hour to make.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Made a traditional shepherd's pie yesterday with ground lamb, peas and carrots. No ground beef, corn or cheese. I used red potatoes because I didn't feel like peeling anything. This is the first time I've tried it with tomatoes, however. It's delicious.

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I know this has Glazed in the title, but it calls for Tofu and since we're not big Tofu eaters here, I didn't bother copying it down, but can add it if asked for. This came out of a special edition of Vegetarian Times magazine and is beyond yummy!!! I can also add the Nutritsion info too. As this is off my Word program and was copied down in big print for my Mom, that infomation isn't that important to her. Okay then...

Glazed Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes

CUPCAKES

1 1 / 2 C All Purpose Flour
    3 / 4 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp Baking Powder
    3 / 4 tsp Baking Soda
    1 Avocado, pitted and peeled
    1 C Pure Maple Syrup
    3 / 4 C Plain Soymilk**
    2 / 3 C Canola Oil
    2 tsp Vanilla Extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Puree avocado in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add maple syrup, soymilk, oil and vanilla and blend until creamy. Whisk into flour mixture.

2. Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with some crumbs attached. Cool on rack.

** You can exchange regular Milk for the Soy. It's just not Veggie if you do. :)

12. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

My latest concoction was a Potsticker Soup. I simmered broth, grated fresh ginger, soy sauce, and a little pepper. Then I added frozen potstickers (won tons would work too) and brought just to a boil. Turned the heat back and tossed in chopped bok choy, carrots, and green onion. Just when the veggies were soft enough, I dumped in bean sprouts. Delicious and so easy!

ETA: forgot to include the few drops of sesame oil I added when I dumped in the bean sprouts.

13. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

I finally tried that Martha Stewart tomato soup recipe Jenny's posted before. Delicious :swoon:

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:cheer:

15. BigB08822

Does anyone have any asparagus soup recipes that they personally have done?

I have found quite a few online and all are pretty similar in that they use chicken brother to cook down the asparagus stalks and then you puree everything and add some cream at the end and garnish with the asparagus tops. I just wonder if anyone knows of any other hints or ingredients to really make it extra yummy?

I also bought some minced crab meat at the store today as it was on sale big time. It isn't lump crab meat but it will be just fine in a soup.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

17. BigB08822

OMG, that sounds delicious with a poached egg! I have never poached an egg in my life. Maybe tomorrow I will go to the store early enough to practice with some eggs. I don't know though, maybe that would be too much with the crab meat and I was planning on sauteeing some mushrooms with the onions for the soup. His recipe sounds the same as all the others just without cream. I think I want the cream, who doesn't love cream? lol

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Poached eggs are easy. My ex showed me how. He adds vinegar to the water. I forget why, but it helps.

I lurve minced beef with poached eggs.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I am a huge cream lover, but don't miss it in this soup, nor Jamie's squash soup. The flavours really sing in this one. I can see the crab meat as a side on toasts, but don't see mushrooms and asparagus working together, but maybe that's just me.

The egg is a fun riff on the classic asparagus with hollandaise - the flavours just work so well together. I've never had luck with poached eggs either, so here's my trick. I have an egg cooker (Cuisinart makes a cute silver one shaped like an egg; mine is an old Toastmaster), so I just set it on soft boiled then very carefully peel the egg. Then, you can put it on toast for eggs benedict, or break it onto the toast over soup for Jamie's presentation.

20. BigB08822

I am thinking of leaving the mushrooms out, as you said Jenny, that may just be a little too much. I am going to attempt to poach an egg. I read up on it and watched some videos. Vinegar is important because it helps coagulate the egg when it hits the water so it wont break apart. It is also important to not have the water boiling when you put in the egg or it will break all apart. You have to bring the water to a boil then bring the temp down by stirring it and/or turning the temp down then let it cook very gently until it is done. Another big trick is to stir the water in a circular pattern before dropping in the egg. Do this until a whirlpool forms and drop the egg right in the middle where the whirlpool is. This keeps the egg together in the center, as well. I may have trouble because we have an electric stove and it is really not easy to drop the temperature down once the water begins boiling. If I buy a dozen eggs I can practice on 4 or so. lol

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It can be challenging to cook on an electric stove sometimes. Especially when I bake.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Much as I love my gas stove, I must say I'm inspired when I see what a good and enthusiastic cook can do with the most simple equipment. On the series Jamie at Home, Jamie was often cooking in his garden with a cutting board on his lap, a cranked rotisserie on the ground, or a biscuit tin converted to a smoker box for salmon with chicken wire. Not long ago, I was at a trendy restaurant where the open kitchen revealed an old electric stove manned by a team of 4 serving 30 people in the restaurant. I love Diners Drive Ins and Dives - there's one where a guy is making gourmet burgers and other dishes using only tabletop appliances!

Great equipment sure helps, but I think great ingredients and a cook who loves to do so are more important.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I saw that Jamie Oliver ep where he used that crank rotisserie - I want one of those so badly :inavoid: I could easily set that up on my fire escape with a makeshift pit made from bricks and roast a chicken or something.

With the electric stoves, in my experience, it affects the cooking time and temps depending on the recipe. When I make my Cuban Shrip Casserole, it cooks quicker than the recipe suggests because of my electric stove.

Or maybe I just have a shitty stove :lol:. I had to give my ex this gorgeous roasting pan I got from Kitchen Kapers because it was too big bythismuch for my stove. :fragile:. His new bf uses it religiously :fragile:.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I know!! Every spring I threaten hubby with digging a hole in his precious lawn and fashioning a BBQ pit. :rollin:

PS, we make the BBQ sauce from that ep regularly, to great compliments from guests. Maybe it takes a Brit to make something so American, but I find his version with its herbs and orange zest is quite different from the usual ketchup, sugar and smoky flavour. Couldn't find it on his website, but it's in the Jamie at Home book. Lots of ingredients, but fun to make if you are planning to have a bunch of people over for BBQ.

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Jamie's amazing. Once I got used to his unorthodox style - sometimes he cooks in lap almost - he's very talented and innovative. I attempted his dauphinoise once - it didn't come out the way I wanted, but I am still impressed by him. He takes the simplest ingredients and does great things with them. I also feel that way about Chuck Hughes, although his food isn't as ambitious as Oliver's.

26. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:respec: Jamie is fabulous. I've made more of his recipes than I can count and I've never been disappointed. Everything is always fresh and tasty. I love the way he works flavours together.

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Ditto. One of the things we often say in our kitchen is "don't question Jamie" because his recipes always turn out and we love them. Sometimes a tad heavy handed on the garlic, rosemary and chilies, but that's a chef for you. :)

We love Jamie at Home in particular, and also Jamie Does (Sweden, Spain, France, Italy and Morocco), and Jamie's America. Have several others as well, but those the ones we turn to again and again.

Seems like such a good guy too - not sure if I've told this story before, but a few years back someone I know was working a book signing with him. When she asked him to sign her book, he asked first if he could write something cheeky, and then when she got home, found that he had written "thanks for the great shag!"

28. BigB08822

My first poached egg was a semi success! My stove top simply will not come down fast enough in temp so I had to keep moving the pot off the heat. It just came right back up to a boil even if I had the heat down on low. That could also be because of the pot I am using but I am not patient enough to try this all over again with a different pot. Either way, I had a poached egg in the end with a perfectly runny yolk! There was a lot of bits and pieces of the white left in the pot that would break off as the water kept coming back to a boil but you wouldn't know a thing looking at the finished egg. Can't wait to make this tonight. I was going to top the asparagus soup with the egg and crab but since I bought minced crab meat and not lump, I think I will just put the crab in the soup and top with the egg only.

29. skatemommy

Hi Brian, my mom taught me to baste the cooking poached egg. It helps the top to cook. I find I get those runny strands if the water is not hot enough. Yes, white vinegar is your friend...add a couple of tablespoons. :)

30. skatemommy

Jenny, my hubby went to a friend's this week and Sam's club apparently has a self contained box that one can submerge into the ground and put coals on the top to roast a pig or whatever. I'll try to do some more research...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.