Recipes thread (continued)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by emason, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Rex, the last thread seems to be closed, so I will answer you here.

I fell in love with the raspberry sauce; the only other frozen fruit I use is cranberry. Around this time of year when cranberries start showing up in the market, I buy bags and bags of them and throw them in the freezer. That way I can make cranberry upside down cake and cranberry sauce and cranberry sundae sauce for ice cream any time I want. Otherwise I am strictly a fresh fruit girl, with an occasional can or 2 in there for those emergencies when I'm sick in bed and can't get to the store.

For the red cabbage, I sauteed an onion and a diced unpeeled Granny Smith apple. Then I added sliced up red cabbage, a spoonful of raisins, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, red wine vinegar and water and covered the pot and let the cabbage cook. At the end I decided the vinegar taste was too strong so I mellowed it out with some sugar; next time I think I would also add the caraway seeds later in the cooking process.

2. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Recipe please! :)

And any apple crisp recipes, anyone? I'm going apple picking next week, plus I'll be baking an apple crisp this weekend, so I'm up to trying anything! What kind of apples are best?

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm dying to make cranberry sauce from scratch this fall. I don't even know what regular cranberry sauce looks like, other than what I've seen on TV :lol:. Everywhere I've been, I have eaten the canned stuff.

4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Actually, what I make is the spiced cranberry jelly on page 282 of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. If you have that cookbook you can look it up; if not, let me know and I will post it here.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh, do post it, please.

6. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Here's a Wine Cake that is incredible:

Spray the inside of a bundt pan with Pam and don't flour it! Heat oven to 350.

Toast 1/2 cup of pecans in the oven for 5 minutes while the oven warms. Don't let them burn.

In a mixer combine:

1 box of white cake mix
    1 small box of vanilla pudding
    4 eggs
    1/4 cup of white sugar
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup of water
    3/4 cup of vegetable oil
    the toasted pecans

Pour in to pan and cook for 45-60 minutes depending on your oven.

Right before it comes out, mix together:

1 stick of butter
    1 cup of white sugar
    1/4 cup of the wine

Bring to a boil for one minute.

Take the cake from the oven and do not take it out of the bundt pan. Let it sit as you pour the melted butter/ssugar/wine sauce slowly over it. Make sure to let it go down the sides and all over the top. Let it sit for about 30 minutes as the cake absorbs the juice.

Fabulous!

7. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Raspberry Sauce:

2 12-ounce bags of frozen raspberries, no sugar added
    2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2/3 cup sugar

In a strainer suspended over a deep bowl thaw the raspberries completely. This will take several hours. Press the berries to force out all the juice; there should be 1 cup.

In a saucepan (or in a microwave on high power) boil the juice until reduced to 1/4 cup. Pour into lightly oiled heatproof cup.

Puree the raspberries and sieve them with a food mill fitted with the fine disc or use a fine strainer to remove all seeds. You should have 1 liquid cup puree. Stir in the raspberry syrup and lemon juice. To make a lightly sweetened sauce measure again. There should be 1 1/3 liquid cups; if you have less add less sugar. The correct amount of sugar is 1/2 the volume of the puree. Stir until the sugar dissolves.

It is a bit of work, but boy is it good.

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Spiced Cranberry Jelly:

(1) 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries 1+1/2 cups sugar salt 2-inch stick cinnamon

3 whole cloves 3 allspice berries

Wash cranberries, bring 1+1/2 cups water to a boil, add cranberries and spices and boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from burning, especially at the end. Put the berries through a strainer or a food mill. Remove any whole spices remaining. Return cranberries to the pot and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and cook 2 minutes more. Pour into a bowl and chill.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks - I've copied and pasted this....

10. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I like this because of the spices added; they give a nice undertone to the jelly. I usually do not boil for the whole 20 minutes; the cranberries cook and start popping much sooner than that. The less you boil, the more you get sauce; the longer you boil the more it sets into a jelly when it cools. I think that has something to do with the pectin in the fruit and how long the pectin cooks. I like this either way, soupy like a sauce or firmer like a jelly.

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ahhhh. So is that why it's so gelatinous in canned form?

I have to admit, on a turkey/stuffing sandwich, it is excellent.

12. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I made roasted veggies last night. I don't know why this never occurred to me before. I cut up some potatoes into smallish wedges, cut up some green and red peppers and cut a yellow onion into wedges. Tossed it all with some olive oil (3 tbsp) with some rosemary and about 2 tsp minced garlic. Put it all in a pan, sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on top, and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. Wow, it was good!

13. emason

emason Well-Known Member

This sounds wonderful; the next time I have a good assortment of veggies around, I will try this.

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I just Googled 'cranberry', and as I thought, they are high in pectin, so yes, that is why the sauce in the can is so gelatinous. As I said before, if you want a more sauce-like texture, then cook the cranberries for a shorter amount of time.

15. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I started doing this several years ago after seeing Ina Garten do it on the Barefoot Contessa. Some of the things that she does absolutely make my stomach roll (i.e. pats of butter in the middle of ground beef patties to grill hamburgers), but she is quite clever about other things. I roast everything from potatoes to brussel sprouts to zuccini to squash using the same method that you mention and it turns out delicious every time. It sure as hell beats boiling!!!

16. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I roast my potatoes all the time and I tried roasting broccoli once and it didn't work at all haha. Turned in to a big burnt mess. I'd love to try roasting asparagus one night but the broccoli incident has scared me away from it :lol:

17. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

OMG, pats of butter on grilled hamburger patties make me lustful with decadent fattening hunger pains. Sorry....that sounds like a forbidden food I would scarf up in one second. But probably never will get the chance....

18. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

I like to make a roasted vegetable and bulghur wheat salad. I roast a mixture of shallots, red and yellow peppers, courgettes (zucchini) and whatever else I have around or looks good in the shop (carrots, aubergine (eggplant, which is one where I actually like the American name better!), sometimes sweet potato are the most common additions). The bulghur wheat I usually make up just plain but sometimes with vegetable stock, and sometimes mix in chopped basil at the end if I have it. I eat some of the bulghur wheat and vegetables warm for my dinner that day, and pile the rest all together into a bowl to go in the fridge. That then makes another two or three days of lunches, or I've also had it as my dinner again with smoked mackerel :swoon:.

If I eat junk it's generally because it's a day when I'm not up to making something sensible, so I like to find ways like this of making the good stuff available as easily as possible!

Oh, and in summer it's a great dish to take to a barbecue, too :)

19. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I like macintosh the best for apple crisp.

my recipe is super simple
    1 cup flour
    2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup unsalted butter melted (or 1/2 cup- check consistency and add more if needed)

cinnamon to taste and sprinkle with a little bit more brown sugar in layers in between apples. I use about 8 medium-size apples for mine.

I bake it in a corningware dish for about 25 minutes or until it is bubbling and browned on top.

20. Twilight1

I read putting a big pan full of water under the sheet to roast veggies works well but have never tried that myself.

21. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I might have to try this one---I am trying to lose weight between now and Xmas (I am going to L.A. and want to trim down some). I'll let you know how it turns out!!!

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We roast veggies all the time - started with potatoes in oil and lipton onion soup mix years ago, and now we do it in the oven or barbecue with Milwaukee Iron Seasoning (http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/milwaukee-iron-seasoning) - tastes like BBQ chips, yummy with a dollop of sour cream.

I've done Ina Garten's roast veggies as a precursor to her roasted veggie soup, and our other favourite is from the Balthazar (NY restaurant) cookbook: parsnips, celery root, carrots, celery with tops, fresh thyme. It's a standard at our Christmas roast beef dinner, and usually several other times during the fall/winter.

This week's challenge for me is a giant zucchini (courgette for you Euros!) that a kind gardener has given me. I want to make zucchini bread (apparently it freezes well), but all the recipes I have call for enormous amounts of sugar - 1 to 1 1/2 cups for a standard loaf!!! I'm just going to half the sugar and hope it works.

I'm also doing a zucchini carbonara from Jamie at Home that we've had many times, yum yum, and may try some fritters as well.

Tonight though, it's another gem from Jamie at Home: his squash soup with parmesan toasts and some salad. Good therapy after two Thanksgiving dinners and much drinking this past long weekend!

Oh and thanks Buzz for the info on Trinidadian cooking!!

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Be careful cutting back too much on the sugar; it is there to provide structure to the loaf as well as taste. Also, if you cut back too much you will taste the flour, which you don't want.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes, this is the challenge. Not only do I avoid sugar for weight control reasons, we simply don't like things that sweet. When sugar is required in a recipe, we usually cut it waaayyyy back, but of course it's risky in baking. This is a quick bread though, so maybe it will work.

Just seems like a good way to use the giant zucchini - I think I will look into freezing it somehow, to use later.

25. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Tastes have changed with the times; my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe (a refrigerator dough that you cut out into shapes of your choice - none of this dropping from a teaspoon nonsense) comes from an old cookbook published just after the end of WWII when rationing was ending. By today's standards of taste and nutrition there is way too much sugar called for, but it took me many batches of trial and error before I could figure out how much I could cut out without ruining the cookies. I also have to take into account what peanut butter I use; I try to get one that has as little sugar added as possible.

26. Twilight1

Jenny- do you have Splenda for baking available to you? I use that in place of baking with sugar and it seems to work very well for me.

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes I do have it and use it occasionally in place of sugar to reduce carbs, but I still don't want it that sweet. Also try to avoid anything artificial these days :)

I will tackle it later today and let y'all know how it turns out :)

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This weekend is supposed to be cool so I want to make a chili. I usually buy the 2alarm pack that has all the seasonings premeasured but I want to try making it in the crockpot and maybe using fresh ingredients instead of the dried out onions and stuff. I know the basic recipe for chili but does anyone have a recipe for their favorite chili that has something special in it?

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  29. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Hmm.. I really don't have a recipe.. I just wing it and hope it turns out okay :lol: I made Chili once with my ex who insisted on having a recipe, and I was like.. dude.. it's chili.. just throw everything in a pot! I should have known then and there that the relationship wasn't gonna work out :lol:

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's a whole bunch:

http://www.saveur.com/solrSearchResults.jsp?q=chili

Chili is one of the first things I learned to make, and I've evolved it over the years based on our current tastes, plus whatever's in the fridge. I generally do it without meat, but with extra beans, softened bell peppers and frozen corn, then top it with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream. Kind of a meatless tex-mex version I guess!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.