Random questions that don't need their own thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Quintuple, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Every so often I think of a random question from something I saw on a skating broadcast, and debate whether to post, and think, "I should just start a random questions thread," and then I don't do it. So these are just the questions I have today - I can't remember my past ones. Post answers and your own questions here! Sadly, my mind is in the gutter, so today's questions are trashy.

- It was during the Grand Prix in 2006 or 2007 - Peter Carruthers was the post-skate interviewer. I remember a big to-do on FSU because he was talking to the Japanese skaters like they were infants. I think he was asking Mao Asada about what it's like to be in the media glare, and made the motion of a wind-up 35mm movie camera, clicking noises and everything. What competition was that, and can anyone find a YouTube video? I remember at the time searching for it, and I couldn't find any videos with the interview included! I want to see!

- OK, same GP year, same idea, next competition. Carruthers was interviewing Oda, and someone on FSU was saying he was miming a nurse putting a thermometer into the mouth of a sick patient with an ice bag on his head because he was asking if Oda was under the weather. Seriously. Anyone? I want to see!

- Wasn't there a GP competition where Evan Lysacek sliced his pants open with his blade and everyone on FSU shrieked that he wasn't wearing underwear or something?

- Again, a long time ago on FSU, I think there was a thread about weird things you've seen in the background in the audience during a competition. People pointed out the guy who stood up and fell into his seat when Midori Ito hit a 3t-3t; and some European gymnastics competition where the audience background while displaying the scores had this blond lady picking something out of her hair then eating it. Am I hallucinating? And I've always wondered if on the ABC broadcast of the 1988 Olympics, when Katarina Witt takes her opening pose to Carmen, are the people sitting behind her making fun of her?

- OK, random other question. Did Samuelson/Bates ever give an actual reason for splitting up? They'd been together so many years. Did he lose trust in her after the achilles slicing?

- Does anyone have a better video of the Laetitia Hubert heroin addict routine? The only one I can find is really grainy and in black and white.

- Is Olga Markova okay? I'm really concerned about her after that "Let My People Go" routine that's everyone's answer to everything besides "purple". Was she the subject of Hubert's routine?

2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl:I have no idea, but if this really exists I have got to see it...

3. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

After he got back on the ice, they skated together for several month (don't recall how long). After the split, he said their skating together just didn't feel right anymore. I have no idea what that means or whether that was just a polite way of not giving the real reason, but it is the essence of what he said.

The only other question I can help you with is the 1988 Olympics. I would have watched it on ABC and don't remember seeing anything going on in the stands. Here is the ABC video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57R7aAY5QiM

I still don't see anything funny.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

There was a good one in the background of the 2001 GWG when Slutskaya was doing her final headspinning move in her FS that another skater imitated it.

5. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

That's an interesting connection. Why did you think that Hubert's routine was about Markova? Did they know each other well?

6. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSyZLYQPKKg

7. lulu

lulu New Member

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ok, here's a question I have: does anyone know if there's a full video anywhere of Candeloro's "George of the Jungle"? I've watched the snippet that's available, but I heard he jumped in a judge's lap at one point, and that's definitely not in the video that's on youtube!

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Was it Yagudin?

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

A video of Hubert's heroin addict routine without the grainy black and white is a betrayal of the entire esthetic of the program. :fragile:

11. Clay

Clay Active Member

The best version of Hubert's heroin addict routine was at Skate Canada '98, which was shown on CTV. It popped up on youtube for a while and I've been waiting on 3axel1996 to re-upload it. Had I known how rare this version was, I would have saved my VHS. It was epic because the choreography was more detailed. Also, she ran into the boards before she even attempted a jump!

Olga Markova and Laetitia Hubert skated head to head many times. I'm sure they inspired each other. :lol: Actually, I have no idea what inspired "Let my people go" other than alcohol. I hope she's okay now. I think that was one of the last performances taped :)

12. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Where/when would that have been? If I knew the specific event I may have an old VHS

13. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Yes, it was Yagudin in the background who made fun of Irina Slutskaya's final moves in her FS at 2001 Goodwill Games. I have it on tape!
    :)

14. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

2001 Hallmark Pro? Longshot, but worth a try! :)

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the video with him interacting with the judge, but it is um kind of odd....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwWknPW_SMg

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

LOL! Imagine if Yagudin had stayed til 2005. He probably would have made fun of Slutskaya feeding the chickent too!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  17. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Here's one: male skater, I think late 90's GP event, in morning practice he jams his skate in to launch a toe jump and his blade gets stuck in the ice and falls off his skate, he spins the jump and lands with a huge thud on the bladeless skate. They showed this clip just prior to the LP on ABC coverage. Sound familiar to anyone and is there a clip?

18. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

- Euro gymnastics blond dread picking/eating lady: I searched for it, couldn't find it, but I got to see some Boginskaya!

- Carmen, 1988: You're right, nobody's making fun of Katarina! Just some lady patted the guy taking the picture on the head. All these years I thought he was patting his own head making fun of Witt's fan-headdress!

- Samuelson/Bates: Yes, we always hear how partners say, "OUR mistake," etc. It's just interesting because Dube/Davison kept on skating after he almost sliced her eyeball out of her head.

- Hubert: Ahh, I'd love to see the one Clay mentioned. Thanks for the this color video, but it wasn't as voidy! On the grainy version I swear she shot up in front of the judges a few times! Snapped an elastic band around her arm with her teeth and everything!

- Markova: I was just saying both routines were crazy. I just remember Markova was always so stone-faced, and said she was studying choreography. I could see the avante-garde-ness of Harlem Nocturne, but not of the broadway LP. You know, that one year she was broadcast on TV a million times ... 1995. I remember going to Costco and seeing hundreds of her on the TV screens.

- Asada. Hmm, almost, but not quite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyUwtmch9w#t=5m51s
    Hmm, a kinder, gentler Carruthers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTldsaCXDds&feature=fvwrel#t=5m28s
    Whoa, Mao suddenly got a lot better at the interviews with Peter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfs-5VZyDjk

AH, found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uowjF2AUGpI#t=1m09s

Not quite as crazy as I hoped, but still.

- Oda: Oh my. I couldn't find the interview, but I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxlFg-CkDY

Yeesh! After a 132?!

I remember there was an entire year where his mom would throw a yellow towel in his face in the Kiss and Cry so the camera wouldn't see him bawling. Perhaps it was the same year as the Carruthers interview!

However, I do think his Zatoichi program is a gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjgH-f6LUJA

19. Clay

Clay Active Member

Ah, that was Ivan Dinev at Nation's Cup.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrlv4ylnNGg

It's difficult to see since someone filmed from their TV (whaaat? :confused:) but you can get an idea.

LOL at a a million TVs showing Olga Markova!!!!!! That sounds like a void to last a lifetime. If I could just see her Bolero one more time...

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Aussie Willy

:eek: My goodness the blade just broke off his skate mounting. Never seen that before.

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

22. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Wasn't that Buttle in his LP from the 2005 GP season?

Piggybacking on this... isn't he the one who skated over her hand and cut it causing them to miss Jr Worlds, or was it another US dance team?

Awesome thread!

23. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Yes. That was Sameulson/Bates.

24. Aussie Willy

25. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I think there was a third performance of the "dying hooker on crack". I'm pretty sure of this because I remember that you could see a progression where the choreography was less voidy and ending pose was less risque with each iteration.

The Skate Canada is a must see because it had the maximum drugged up slutty voids :inavoid: I distinctly remember that ending pose where she's shuddering, bending backwards, and almost laying on the ice with her legs spread apart, and how that broadcast's camera was aimed straight up her crotch by the end :lol::eek:

26. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Random question of my own:
    Did Nancy Kerrigan ever do pair skating? I tried to google, but didn't find anything. I was watching this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWGrxab0hA&feature=relmfu
    and if I'm not mistaken one of the commentators is Nancy Kerrigan and they talk about her being a pair skater? Or am I hallucinating?

27. Clay

Clay Active Member

Let's hope someone uploads it soon.

I'm not sure about competitively, but she skated with Paul Wylie in several shows, including the 1992 Olympics gala. When Paul turned pro in 1992, Kerrigan had mentioned she missed skating with him after her singles practices. Paul had skated with Dana Graham in the early 80s.

28. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Omg, I found all of Laetitia's Hooker on Crack programs on my old laptop! :lol: I knew there were three! :cheer:

In chronological order (also from most to least tragik):
    Skate Canada
    Trophee Lalique
    Cup of Russia

Make sure to save them all while you can before some :sekret: tries to have it taken down like the old ones!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  29. Clay

Clay Active Member

:cheer::inavoid: :rockstar::inavoid: You rock like a beast!

Just as epic as I remember!

Someone probably found the crotch shot offensive when it was last posted?? I remember the original youtube poster confused about the why the program was such a big deal.
    The legacy lives on, but we never found out anything about the program from Hubert. The music was never identified either.

30. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

That's the program, but it doesn't include the end.