Radionova's Lines

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Mar 11, 2013.

1. alchemy void

alchemy void Running away from POTO

I think criticizing Radionova for her lines (or whatever else) is perfectly fine, it doesn't matter that she is 14...she is junior world champ.

Creating an entire thread to talk about Radionova's lines (or Lipnitskaya's gloves, or Corwin's tiaras) is questionably excessive. And attention-grabbing, which seems somewhat successful. :p

2. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

First of all, I find this thread to borderline shameful. This girl is so young and talented and fresh and new! Why would you think that she should splash on the scene with the entire package?

I got to watch Adelina Sotnikova practice last week and though I think she does a couple moves below her potential, she's a hard working focused young lady who i gained tremendous respect for. A thread like this in my mind should really be reserved for a skater who has completed her change and perhaps still has not improved. A 14 year old girl with a superb arsenal of triple jumps... consistently landed... no. Witnessing the excruciatingly difficult hard work these athletes do changed my view somewhat. They are people and they usually are pretty good people in my experience. Lets let her grow up a little and develop before we launch diatribes. The courage a singles skater has to stand alone in front of the masses and have their lifes work judged takes guts i might never have... although in another life I was Patrick Chan... hehehehe kidding

hanca, Vash01, TheIronLady and 3 others like this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Yu na seems to get a pass from the judges on the spiral.

It's not applied to pairs skater like Cadee Denney. She has some of the ugliest positions in lifts.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I obviously don't think it's shameful to ask what people think about her and question if the judges will penalize her leg line enough for her to improve it, but you make your point well. We should be respectful and appreciative of the skater. I fear the sport could go in the direction where all you need are jumps, and positions and line are incidental. She is again the junior world champion, and ladies is often a sport of youth.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I would rep you if I could.

6. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I guess I considered it "picking on Elena" because I do not see such bad problems with Radionova's line. I'll try to answer with hopefully more substance than before.
    I think the examples you chose are not the best examples of what Radionova's line is at the moment. Her LP ( I use Junior Worlds as an example) shows her lines to better advantage http://youtu.be/BnlHq18c0Fk
    There are quite a few nice positions coming out of jumps, and in spins. There are finished gestures that are well coordinated with music throughout. There is no balletic extension in every move, and she can work on that; she is barely 14. What I see, and what is, I believe, a better indication of things to come, is the desire to give meaning, to "present" a gesture in music. I think a good line often comes from that, because there is a desire to let a gesture speak expressively; an unfinished gesture cannot "speak". I am not going to veer off into criticizing Seniors now; but Radionova is hardly the worst offender.
    The examples you give. One is an EX, which I discard; an EX of a- then- 13-year-old is not an indicator of anything.
    The SP is more problematic. I am not too fond of it; it is busy and rather chaotic. I fault choreographer; as for the style- I imagine it's supposed to be more "modern dance/ sci-fi theme", so a broken line might be allowed and even desirable. The problem as I see it is that there are so many small gestures that they need to be rushed; thus they never reach their most expressive point before they are changed. Hopefully next year Elena is given smth. that will allow her to work on extention. I would not panic, though, until she is 18-19 ( or at least not until she enters Senior circuit full-time, which is not until 2014-15 if I remember right).
    Apart from Radionova's case, though- I wish line and precision of movement were given more advantage in PCS; but let's start with Seniors.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I think there should be a bonus mark for smiling in joy!

8. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

what if one is skating to Titanic?

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Like all the threads about Mira Leung few years ago ? lol

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Melt the ice and they will drown.

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I find TheIronLady's comments to be humorous.
    Are they really that different from comments people make at the skating rinks?

12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Articulate and thoughtful as always! :) :)

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

You are very kind, but I am not so sure we are not being punked here. Am going around thinking- "Do I have to take the bait and be so damn earnest about it" :D Worlds tomorrow, YAY!

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

That's hilarious! :rofl:

15. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

16. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think Maggie is funny also.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.