Rachael's plans

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, Mar 27, 2010.

1. isamelia

isamelia Member

I think Rachael will have better results in the 2011-2012 skating season than this past year. By managing her time efficiently between school and skating, she will be less prone to overuse injuries. I don't underestimate her time management skills, fierce determination and extremely high intellect. I wish she had not taken this year off from school so she would be that much further along with the balancing act. But I respect her choices. She is a role model for other skaters with high academic goals.

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

The more I think about it, the more I'm glad Rachael took a year off. If she was anywhere near as stressed at the end of her senior year as I currently am, it was probably very nice for her to have some time to herself...even if she did push herself into overuse injuries. But having a little bit of free time to relax and pull a normal night's sleep is amazing, and I'm sure Rachael got a taste of that this year.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I thought this was a better thread to use for these questions...
    Flatt tweeted over the weekend that she has a new long program (she worked with Lori Nichol in Toronto last week) and that she did a run through of it at the World Arena in Colorado Springs.

Stanford's new freshmen are due to arrive on campus in mid-September. Classes for the Autumn Quarter start on Sept. 20, according to the University website.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

New undergraduates report to Stanford on September 20, as they are on the quarter system, so Rachael still has some time before she needs to relocate.

5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Sept 20th? wow, that's kinda late.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's the quarter system. Academic year also ends late.

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

OK. Great. She's rid herself of 'Slaughter on Tenth Ave.' or whatever it's called, I wonder if she'll keep EoE, since she has only had it half a season and still has to realize its full potential? It would save her time, too

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

EoE was great for her IMO, so I'm glad she's keeping it. SOTA, on the other hand, was probably her worst program ever, so I'm thrilled she's ditching it.

9. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

EOE got her pretty decent results (for the most part), but seeing as how she performed it for more than half of the season and got several really good performances out of it, I'm thinking she probably should have moved on to something else. I'm glad Mao is sticking with her Libestraum program b/c, truth be told, she had maybe one or two decent performances with it...and in both instances, she could have done a lot better. Rachael maxed out the potential during her debut at nationals and then again at 4CC. I'd actually prefer to see her do something else, but seeing as how she's a student this year and will be pressed for time, I guess I understand why she's keeping it...

Hopefully since they're sticking to the music, maybe they'll change a bit of the choreography up (namely that bees-are-attacking-me step sequence) and, for the love of eyesight all over the world, I truly hope she tones down that retina-searing yellow disaster dress she wore...:eek:

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

See, the problem isn't Rachael's size. She's really very tiny. It's her dress sense that gets her into trouble.

11. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Considering the score Rachael got for he step sequence base value 3.9, goe 1.85---the highest of the ladies---I don't think she is going to want to mess around with it. Evidently the judges didn't mind the bees!!! lol

12. olympic

Contest of the better bees - Flatt's EoE vs. Slutskaya's Tosca :lol:

13. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ "Flight of the Beekeepers"? :lol:

14. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Has she actually mentioned that she's keeping it, though, or just not mentioned getting a new one? Do skaters & choreographers generally create two new programs at the same time?

15. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I seriously question the judgement of that program's costume designer. EoE is a pretty good program but its flaws (and hers) are magnified by that horrible dress. It's not really a subjective thing: she just plain looks bad. She looks great in black, and I hope that if she keeps EoE she ditches the yellow screamer for something dark.

16. kwanatic

^^Someone just needs to start a "Dear Rachael..." thread and fill it with suggestions. With the right music, makeup, hair, dress and choreography, Rachael would be ten times better than what she is right now...

I've suggest several times, on no less than 3 figure skating forums, what Rachael could do to help her aesthetic appeal on the ice, everything from style and color of her dresses, to her hair color to her music...

Of course, it's easy for us to sit at home and suggest stuff but, being spectators, at the very least we know what we'd like to see. She needs a change and I'm really hoping California will help her shed her frumpy look and go for something a bit fresher and younger...

17. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'm really not into this too much but if I were to make one suggestion to her re. looks, it would be to grow her hair long again.

18. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Jewel tones would be an improvement.

And maybe a darker hair color. She often looks washed out. Never more so than with the blondish hair and neon highlighter yellow dress :scream:

19. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think at least go blonde or dark... the in between colour is less that inspiring.
    Black dresses would be good. Not everyone has Cohen's frame, but with a better cut and darker colours, Rachel would look a lot slimmer.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Flatt hasn't said anything about a new SP. I think people are just assuming she's keeping EoE.

Not necessarily.

21. kwanatic

I always thought she might look good with darker hair, maybe this color or this color. Because she is pale with a slight peachy color, that color of blonde Rachael has washes her out completely. I think something darker with a little color would create a nice contrast with her skin...and it'd definitely make her stand out more.

And I agree, she needs to grow her hair back now. That cut she has works nice for everyday wear; but the wind-blown soccer mom look isn't very appealing on the ice...:rolleyes:

22. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

^ love your thought about the hair color.

23. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I think it helped her IN score, too. My interpretation is that she's in happily in Eden in a sunny dress, but those pesky bees ,having mistaken her for the world's biggest sunflower, are chasing her to go East! :)

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am intrigued by the idea of a darker hair color as well.

25. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I want to know who her coach is. She should have found one by now. The suspense is killing me.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I'm sure she'll let us know when she wants to let us know. ;)

27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl:

28. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

;-) Just to revisit the Ladies step sequence (bees or not, LOL!) video montage from 2011 Worlds, Leonova (2.44 pts), V. Helgesson, J. Helgesson, Korpi, Czisny, Vanut, Hecken, Makarova, Gedevanishvili, Murakami, Phaneul, Asada, Kostner, Ando, Kim, thru Flatt (5.76).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LcatX5L7k

29. olympic

Y'know. I've never belonged to a board so creative in its snarkiness :lol: It's why I love it here ...

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Jesus, and some wonder why there are those who question that fs is a sport (hair color discussion).

FunnyBut, lol maybe some bee repellant will help. lmao