Rachael's plans

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, Mar 27, 2010.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I've been saying they should show her boots. It might give her legs more shape.
    Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Including skating on a stress fracture. Rachael, please practice the words "no" and "I want a 2nd opinion from an expert not affiliated with USFS or Broadmoor"
    Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I think it's quite likely that Rachael was one of the people pushing to go to Worlds and skate in spite of the injury.
  4. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

wow that 2007 program does not even look like the same skater.
  5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

You could say the same thing if you watched a video of Zhang from 2007. Puberty probably has something to do with these changes in Rachael now versus then. I'll admit even in 2007, she didn't have the baby ballerina look, but she was just a little kid who hadn't hit puberty and well it's probably easier to spin and jump when you're 80 pounds versus 110.
  6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

http://www.requiredelements.com/2011/5/6/2157016/rachael-flatt-leaves-broadmoor

A 2010 Olympian, Flatt, 18, will take a family vacation to Hawaii over the summer, work on her triple axel at the University of DelawareÂ’s high performance center, participate in a freshman orientation at Stanford and look for a new coach in the Bay Area. Her parents have put their Springs home up for sale, with intentions of moving back to San Diego.

Flatt aims for a full load of courses in chemical engineering her initial quarter at Stanford, and she plans on competing in the Grand Prix series that runs from October to December. She also has circled the U.S. Championships in January in San Jose, Calif., a qualifier for the Four Continents Championships in February at World Arena and worlds in March in Nice, France. The next Winter Olympics are in February 2014 in Sochi, Russia.
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. dewey

dewey Member

It is possible - not definite, but possible - that she is in for a very rude shock about the difference between high school courses (even AP) and a full load of college engineering courses.
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Same thoughts running through my head. Not impossible, but she's gonna have to be one of the "quick ones" so to speak...
  10. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It certainly was a shock to me - high school was a cakewalk compared to the college science track. But it's very likely that Rachael is smarter than me. My sister didn't have quite the shock that I did. :lol:
  13. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Very much agreed. Even though AP classes are "college," they are not really even in the same ballpark of difficulty as demanding college courses. And after a year off of the school routine, Rachael may be a little rusty.
  14. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Oh I agree 100%. Zhang is another. And Meissner but at least she was able to get a national and world title in before her downfall. Actually with Kimmie...she actually looks BETTER its just that she lost all her jumps. :(
  15. polkadots

polkadots New Member

Wow, I can't believe how much I enjoyed that performance!
  16. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Meh. I found college way easier than high school AP classes.
  17. KCC

KCC Active Member

Of course it was not Stanford, but I had no trouble with my freshman classes in college (also in chem e), but needed to work 2-3x as hard starting in my sophomore year. It takes a lot of discipline and asking for help when needed, but that sounds like Rachael. I predict that she'll be okay, whether she stays in engineering or changes her major along the way.
  18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

At Stanford you have to live in the dorms the first year, and you are not allowed to have a car..................which makes it difficult to get to the rink. They want you to absorb and be part of the culture. Don't know about exceptions....and of course, they say no exceptions.
  19. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I know it. Alissa's look fabulous (the leg and the boot LOL)
  20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I agree, I went to a school with a well ranked engineering program (top ranked for petroleum engineering, which was my major at the time) and the kids with aptitude for it just breezed through freshman year. I could see from my friends that it got harder as it went along, but many of them barely studied that first year.

I on the other hand worked my ass of to earn my failing, or barely passing grades, and quickly switched my major to what I wanted it to be rather than what my Mom wanted it to be. Then I graduated with honors, despite having to pick up from a grade point that put me on probation.

Rachael has an aptitude for science, she'll be busy, but I bet she'll do fine. Skating might even force her to be more organized with her time, so she may even fare better than those who find their schedules wide open. Being disciplined with your time is one of the most difficult things about college.
  21. isamelia

isamelia Member

I think Rachael will have better results in the 2011-2012 skating season than this past year. By managing her time efficiently between school and skating, she will be less prone to overuse injuries. I don't underestimate her time management skills, fierce determination and extremely high intellect. I wish she had not taken this year off from school so she would be that much further along with the balancing act. But I respect her choices. She is a role model for other skaters with high academic goals.
  22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

The more I think about it, the more I'm glad Rachael took a year off. If she was anywhere near as stressed at the end of her senior year as I currently am, it was probably very nice for her to have some time to herself...even if she did push herself into overuse injuries. But having a little bit of free time to relax and pull a normal night's sleep is amazing, and I'm sure Rachael got a taste of that this year.
  23. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I thought this was a better thread to use for these questions...
    Flatt tweeted over the weekend that she has a new long program (she worked with Lori Nichol in Toronto last week) and that she did a run through of it at the World Arena in Colorado Springs.

Stanford's new freshmen are due to arrive on campus in mid-September. Classes for the Autumn Quarter start on Sept. 20, according to the University website.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  24. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

New undergraduates report to Stanford on September 20, as they are on the quarter system, so Rachael still has some time before she needs to relocate.
  25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Sept 20th? wow, that's kinda late.
  26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

That's the quarter system. Academic year also ends late.
  27. olympic

OK. Great. She's rid herself of 'Slaughter on Tenth Ave.' or whatever it's called, I wonder if she'll keep EoE, since she has only had it half a season and still has to realize its full potential? It would save her time, too
  28. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

EoE was great for her IMO, so I'm glad she's keeping it. SOTA, on the other hand, was probably her worst program ever, so I'm thrilled she's ditching it.
  29. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

EOE got her pretty decent results (for the most part), but seeing as how she performed it for more than half of the season and got several really good performances out of it, I'm thinking she probably should have moved on to something else. I'm glad Mao is sticking with her Libestraum program b/c, truth be told, she had maybe one or two decent performances with it...and in both instances, she could have done a lot better. Rachael maxed out the potential during her debut at nationals and then again at 4CC. I'd actually prefer to see her do something else, but seeing as how she's a student this year and will be pressed for time, I guess I understand why she's keeping it...

Hopefully since they're sticking to the music, maybe they'll change a bit of the choreography up (namely that bees-are-attacking-me step sequence) and, for the love of eyesight all over the world, I truly hope she tones down that retina-searing yellow disaster dress she wore...:eek:
    FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  30. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

See, the problem isn't Rachael's size. She's really very tiny. It's her dress sense that gets her into trouble.
  31. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Considering the score Rachael got for he step sequence base value 3.9, goe 1.85---the highest of the ladies---I don't think she is going to want to mess around with it. Evidently the judges didn't mind the bees!!! lol
  32. olympic

Contest of the better bees - Flatt's EoE vs. Slutskaya's Tosca :lol:
  33. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ "Flight of the Beekeepers"? :lol:
  34. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Has she actually mentioned that she's keeping it, though, or just not mentioned getting a new one? Do skaters & choreographers generally create two new programs at the same time?
  35. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I seriously question the judgement of that program's costume designer. EoE is a pretty good program but its flaws (and hers) are magnified by that horrible dress. It's not really a subjective thing: she just plain looks bad. She looks great in black, and I hope that if she keeps EoE she ditches the yellow screamer for something dark.
  36. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^Someone just needs to start a "Dear Rachael..." thread and fill it with suggestions. With the right music, makeup, hair, dress and choreography, Rachael would be ten times better than what she is right now...

I've suggest several times, on no less than 3 figure skating forums, what Rachael could do to help her aesthetic appeal on the ice, everything from style and color of her dresses, to her hair color to her music...

Of course, it's easy for us to sit at home and suggest stuff but, being spectators, at the very least we know what we'd like to see. She needs a change and I'm really hoping California will help her shed her frumpy look and go for something a bit fresher and younger...
  37. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'm really not into this too much but if I were to make one suggestion to her re. looks, it would be to grow her hair long again.
  38. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Jewel tones would be an improvement.

And maybe a darker hair color. She often looks washed out. Never more so than with the blondish hair and neon highlighter yellow dress :scream:
  39. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think at least go blonde or dark... the in between colour is less that inspiring.
    Black dresses would be good. Not everyone has Cohen's frame, but with a better cut and darker colours, Rachel would look a lot slimmer.
  40. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Flatt hasn't said anything about a new SP. I think people are just assuming she's keeping EoE.

Not necessarily.