Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victoriaheidi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I wish Rachael the best of luck with her new coaches and hope she has a great season! :cheer2:

3. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Best wishes to Flatt and her coaches in the new season. This also sounds pretty cool:

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Glad Rachael has a plan in place and that her stress fracture is healing. I wish her well.
    Also, it looks like Tom Z won't have any hand in Rachael's training going forward. Good. :shuffle:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yay for Justin Dillon! :)

Interesting choice for the FS.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

IIRC, Lynn Smith has coached many young skaters to success at the lower levels over the years (Kelcie Lee when she won her 2004 Juvenile Girls title?). Smith coached Kevin Shum, a last-minute Novice Men's alternate, to a 9th place finish at 2011 US Nationals.

I believe Smith and Dillon currently co-coach Shum and Gwendolyn Prescott (2010 Intermediate silver medalist who has been competing Junior so far this summer), among others.

Flatt skated to "Firebird" for her FS when she won her 2005 U.S. Novice National title.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:

8. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:rollin: I always enjoyed Justin's skating, even if he was never a top contender.

It will be a challenge balancing Stanford's academics with sports, but I wish all involved good luck.

And even though I don't really love "Firebird" too much, it will make for a nice change of pace with all the "swans" we are getting this season. :lol:

9. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Hm. I'm not sure I like what she said about Lori choreographing the program in two days...But I like her new coaching team, I love her attitude, and I wish her all the best. Go Rachael!

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I hope she adds that 3F+3T and that her 2A+3T becomes fully rotated. I'm still skeptical about the 3Lz-3Lo but I would love for that to happen!

11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm hoping that what she meant was that, given how natural the program felt to her, it only took her two days to pick up on what Lori choreographed for her. I'm hoping. If that's the case, I'm very optimistic.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I wonder if they are just updating the version of Firebird she used in 2005; perhaps that is why she picked up the choreo so quickly?

13. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I didn't realize Lynn was coaching down in San Jose. Last time I was skating, she was up in Oakland. She's a good technical coach. Justin's a good guy, but I have no sense of what kind of coach he is. His students seem to love him though.

14. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Firebird might be a good choice, can't wait to see it. Maybe this darker music is better suited giving her almost a Vanessa Gusmeroli/Irina Slutskaya vibe. I'd like to see her in some kind of black pant suit. Hope she has fun this year and brings it.

15. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I can't think of any two skaters more unlike than Irina S & Vanessa G. But I agree Firebird might be a good choice. She won't be able to do cutesy moves with that music. Or she shouldn't be able to.

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So, she will be skating with Dillon and Smith primarily, and also working with Tickner and Ponomarenko.

I like in the article that she mentions she needs help with the packaging and artistry. I think she'll be on the right track. Although, I'm a little concerned that she's behind due to time off from her tibia injury

17. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

I really like these coaching choices and am now actually excited to see her this season!

18. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

The article says triple lutz-half loop-triple loop, which is 3Lz+3Lo+SEQ (bw: 8.88). I don't think the 3Lz+3Lo is possible for her in competition, even though it was stated, that she would attempt the combination last season.

The 3Lz+3Lo+SEQ seems more possible. Still, I don't think the sequence is a good idea - too much risk, but little gain... she can fit in 7 triples another way.

19. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

She is skating to Firebird..............Really? Oh man. That music is so nuanced, so compelling. If you don't skate with a level of depth of understanding, feeling, the music, and lay on a level of head ringing, arm shaking.........this could be a nightmare! I thought Joannie Rochette's "Firebird" was so fabulous - her upper body carriage and use of arms.............amazing. . And love that funky Russian guy. I thought his interpretation really brought something superb to the ice.

20. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Don't give anyone ideas!!! :yikes:

I'm hoping that Rachael will use this as a rebuilding year, and not focus on getting to Worlds. If she gets a late start and simply works on artistry and getting back on track, she may not make Worlds (but still might get 4CC), but could be in a great position for next season. This might also be a good pace for her in her first year of college.

Good luck Rachael!

21. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I'm happy to see Rachael getting input from a variety of coaches. I hope Sergie Ponomarenko can help her with speed, flow across the ice, and better use of the blade. Hope she does view this as a rebuilding year and has a good season!

22. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

OK, that seems more feasible.

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Good luck Rachael. Freshman year at Stanford will be challenging, but she knows what she can handle. She's got a good head on her shoulders. I wish her all the best.

24. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Despite the downside of Tom Z's packaging, Rachael was able to get a full arsenal of triples, the right edge on the lutz, and more or less able to rotate everything in her time in his camp at Colorado Sprs. So, I think moving forward, these new coaches should help her blossom artistically and perhaps also help her with speed

25. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I think costuming will play a big factor in success of the firebird program.
    It's such an overused music, but depending on how she presents it, it could turn out pretty decent IMO.

26. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Firebird sounds like another excuse to wear Red.:(

27. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

Just a minor point of disagreement: Rachael doesn't have a full arsenal of triples since she does not have a triple axel.

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

But she looks great in red!

29. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Maybe she'll put some Caydee Denney Firebird red extensions in her hair as well. I can see it now...

30. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Good for Rachael. :)

You're the National Champion.
    Don't forget this fact.
    You go girl. :encore: