Rachael Flatt out for rest of the 2012-2013 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Capella, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Capella

Capella Guest

Per IceNetwork
    I truly hope she is able to achieve both.

2. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

although i never was a a rachael fan, i hope this will not be the end of her competetive career and we will see her one more time.
    her stellar short from the 2011 nationals are one of my all time favourites.

hope she achieves all she longes to.

3. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Here's wishing Rachel best wishes in her recovery! Chronic injuries can't be much fun so I hope she'll finally be able to move around without pain.

4. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

+1

wishing her much academic success, as well:)

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish Rachael a full recovery; and the very best in whatever she does.
    If she wishes to compete again, I hope she will be able to do so.

6. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Glad she's focusing on getting healthy. That really is the most important thing.

7. lulu

lulu New Member

Speedy recovery Rachael!
    Best of luck to her at Standford as well, and I hope that she's able to compete next season.
    :cheer:

:respec:

8. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Best of luck to Rachael with her studies at Stanford! Enjoy the college experience girl!

9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I hope she recovers and enjoys Stanford!

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Wow, she sure skated well at Skate America despite being injured. I too hope that that was not the last time we see her in competition.

11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm wishing her all the best for a speedy recovery and success in whichever path she chooses in the future--whether she comes back or becomes a full-time college student and successful doctor/engineer/anything.

12. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Get healthy Rachael and enjoy college.

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Best wishes to her!

14. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I concur that getting healthy is the best things she can do; her body has to last a lot longer than her skating career. In the meantime, I hope she can enjoy the rest of her semester at Stanford. :)

15. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I honestly think this is the end of her competitive career. Why bow out of Nationals over two months beforehand? Tendonitis isn't that serious, although it is recurring. It's not like she was an unmitigated disaster at SA. She just is obviously not at the top of her game due to growth, school, and training issues. She has nothing left to accomplish. She is a National Champion, World and Olympic team member and Grand Prix medalist. She has had a lovely career. Best of luck, Rachael!

16. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I figured she would want to go to one last Nationals and say goodbye there. I am surprised she isnt. As you said one wouldnt think her injury is too bad to not skate at Nationals. Next year she would need to qualify for Nationals, and likely would be hard pressed to do that. Maybe she felt saying goodbye at an international event was a good way to go out, and also figured this past Nationals was a great way to go out there, which makes sense.

17. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Smart move. She was obviously pushing too hard and needed to take some time off. Actually she should have probably taken the whole season off...

In any case, IMHO this is basically a retirement announcement without the word "retire" in it - because chances are we never see her competing again.

18. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I had strong feelings that this would be her last season, but I was thinking she would retire after Nationals. It is very clear that she has new priorities and, good for her, there is more to life than skating. She also has accomplished more than most could even dream of. The sport has moved past her and she has moved on from the sport. It happens, but I am suprised she didn't take one last chance at Nationals or maybe told USFSA that she was injured before SA, so another girl could get her spot.

19. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Good for her for being attentive to her health and future goals. I hope she has a stellar year outside of figure skating.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Although she simplified her programs as much as she needed to, she did skate well: she received a total of two individual -1 GOE scores in her FS and got between 0.00 and .47 GOE on all of her elements, and in her SP, got the mandatory - GOE on doubling the triple jump and -.15 on her layback spin. (Of the nine women who finished ahead of her in the SP, four had -GOE on two elements, all with more total -GOE than Flatt, and four had one element with -GOE; only GAO went clean with +GOE on all of her elements and no individual -GOEs.)

I wouldn't have guess injury, but lack of training time, since she looked so solid.

The other interesting thing about her performance was that her spins and footwork were relatively short, yet in each program she got one L3 spin, L2 footwork, and she only got one L1 in the SP and the mandatory L1 CH sequence in the FS, so all of the women who tie themselves into pretzels and sabotage their spins with speed-killing Biellmanns might take note and consider going for a L2 spin that doesn't sap their energy and that they can do cleanly instead of a L3 spin that lasts forever.

21. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

I cannot imagine how she has, as one article put it, 'shrugged off the pain of chronic tendinitis'. If it's in her Achilles tendon, as mine is, the pain is horrible !!!! It hobbles me and I can't walk properly. I'm getting extensive physio and shockwave ultrasound for the last month and it's still horrible.

Rachel: if you achieved everything you did and skated at such a high level for so long with that pain, then you deserve a crown, not just a medal!

22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I think it's a wise decision--no other remedy for her injuries than rest, rest, rest.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

While I agree, I don't think she's really withdrawing from nationals; since she isn't competing at Ice Challenge, she no longer has a bye through Mids. So she isn't qualified to Nationals. Right?

24. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I wish her every success..

I somehow doubt we will see her again in a competitive arena. I think that perhaps she had mentally "moved" on. She didn't seem that upset with her placements etc... and they weren't what they used to be. The physical side may wind up being the final blow to her competitive career. However, I think she will be very successful as she moves forward. She seems well prepared with a good "life" outside the rink.

25. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Correct, but it's not like the creme of the crop is competing at Ice Challenge, so she probably could have done pretty well there even skating like she did in Kent.

I am not sure if she could have petitoned for a medical bye to Nationals, but it sounds like she knows the injury will take more than just a few months to heal and wanted to withdraw from both events in advance.

26. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Obviously, you've never had tendonitis.

Best wishes to Rachael for a complete recovery.

27. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yeah, she could have competed decently, but probably with a ton of pain. :/

I am also pretty sure this is a retirement notice.

28. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I actually have had tendonitis and actually was a high level competitive figure skater. I don't know her exact injury, but it is very realistic for her to be back for Nationals even taking time off. It's not like she is having major surgery or anything. To me, it seems like this is her retiring without saying the words. Best wishes to her, though!

29. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Good Luck to Rachael. I have a mild form of tendonitis in one elbow, mine comes & goes but is no fun when it strikes.

30. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Do they even give medical byes anymore? I thought those went away a few years ago?