R.I.P. Celeste Holm

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Wyliefan, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

At 95. I always liked her.

TCM is going to be run off its feet with all the tribute days they're arranging lately, but hers is going to be a good one. They've got All about Eve, High Society, Gentleman's Agreement -- even A Letter to Three Wives, though she only did the voiceover. (Hey, it was an important voiceover!)

2. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Her Addie Ross stole the show in 'Letter to 3 Wives' IMHO.
    I also loved her in "Come to the Stable"

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Aww, that's sad.

So many great performances -- I just watched High Society again last night and she was one of the things that made that movie.

4. duane

duane New Member

It seems the stars of the past either die too young or they last for decades on end. Both Celeste Holm and Ernest Borgnine lived to 95...gives me hope at 50-something.

5. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

When I saw her name, the first thing I thought of was Cinderella - the original t.v. musical from the 60s! She was the Queen. Lesley Anne Warren was Cinderella. (Guess this could be on the "I'm old" thread!!)

6. duane

duane New Member

"Impossible...for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage..."

Growing up, watching Cinderella was just as much a yearly treat as watching The Wizard of Oz.

7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Ginger Rogers was the Queen.
    Celeste Holm was the Fairy Godmother.

Sparks, who knows every word of TV's Cinderella. :)

8. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Aww, I always liked her too. Especially her DVD extras where she talks about battles with her fellow actresses.

9. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Ditto. I loved her in everything I saw her in. she seemed like duch a lady.

BTW... I have the CINDERELLA. DVD... and love watching it... having lots of grandchildren I can generally find an excuse.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

11. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I remember that movie...guess I'm old too. But I didn't remember anyone in it other than Lesley Ann Warren. But I always liked her...last time I remember seeing her was as Ted Danson's mother in Three Men & a Baby.

12. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

LOVE All About Eve. She was the last of the main cast still alive.

13. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Wow the last two weeks have certainly seen legends leave us. :(

Loved everything I saw her in, but the last time I saw her was in the Touched By An Angel spin off Promised Land where she played the Grandmother of the Family. I remembered thinking back then how lucky the kids in that show were to be able to be in the same cast as that lady and to have her as a tutor of acting.

What a wonderful tribute to his friend that Scott Feinberg wrote over at The Hollywood Reporter. Thanks for sharing that link w/us skatesindreams.

May she rest in peace. :(

14. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

The Tender Trap and High Society were my favorites of hers. Pus Promised Land. :) So lovely.

"You see a pair of laughing eyes and suddenly you're sighing sighs...." I was singing that song, last week.

15. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

RIP, Ms. Holm.

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Same here! RIP, Celeste.

17. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

O.k. I'm an idiot! I knew that - along with every word of every song. My friend Shauna and I used to watch it every year.

Stuart Damon was the prince. Before he went on to soaps. Walter Pidgeon was the King.

When I was in high school, that was our fall production one year. I wasn't in it, but I was in choir so I got to work backstage.

Oh, and they had the same songs in the one with Brandy and Whoopi Goldberg in the 90s. Sang along with that one too.

18. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I came across the CD for this TV version of Cinderella. I was ecstatic to find it! "Ten Minutes Ago ..."

Is there a CD/DVD recording of Julie Andrews in Cinderella (from the 1950's)?

19. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Wow, 5 husbands and doesn't get along with her kids. Good actress though.

20. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Geez, how long ago did I post about this. Ever since, I can't get "why would a fellow want a girl like her? A girl who's merely luuuuuuvely" out of my head!!! :lol:

I've even tried thinking of "The Sweetest Sounds" and "Do I Love You Because You're Wonderful" (or whatever the title of that technically is) but my brain keeps going back to the stepsisters!!! Ack.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

There is a CD -- I have it. I don't know about a DVD, though.

22. skatesindreams

23. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Well, I guess I don't feel quite so old now. I didn't even know there was a 1950's version. Julie Andrews back then would have made the perfect Cinderella though.

24. skatesindreams

She was!
    It was a historic LIVE broadcast, also.
    There is a documentary about the production included, also.

25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I saw a broadcast of the 1950's version on PBS a couple of years ago and recorded it. Julie Andrews was quite wonderful as Cinderella.

RIP, Celeste Holm. She lived a long life and had a long career with some very memorable performances.

26. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Just saw the "TCM Remembers" tribute to Ms. Holm - clips from "High Society", "The Tender Trap", "All About Eve" and what I believe was "Road House", starring Ida Lupino as a torch singer.

I remember the color TV version of "Cinderalla" fondly as well, with Celeste and Lesley Ann Warren singing "Impossible". Classy, talented actress (and singer).