Questions fro Phil Hersh?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Apr 22, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hi all. I'm working on arranging an interview with Phil Hersh, journalist who covers skating. Even though sometimes folks here have reacted negatively at times to his columns and coverage, I think he deserves major props for covering our sport and taking our athletes seriously enough to give us the mainstream media coverage that skating sorely lacks at the moment. So please let me know if you have any questions for him (in addition to the ones I'll be researching/crafting myself of course).

Thanks. :)

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'd love to know his take on the current state of US skaters...

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

4. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

What if, in some kind of fantasy world, he were allowed to have input in a future skating scoring system (to replace the current system - it IS a fantasy world, after all), what elements should be given the highest weight, and how would the scoring of the presentation aspect be done?

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in if he takes such a negative slant about US skating because that is what 'sells' and gets column space, or because he really believes that is the best way to represent what is happening out on the ice.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

When is he retiring?:lol:

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What can be done to increase interest in skating; with both the public, and the media?

I'm grateful that Phil covers the sport, when so many entities/reporters no longer do so.
    Please, tell him that,

8. Eyre

Eyre New Member

I'd like to know his thought on the role he's been playing during this declining of the interests in figure skating in North America.:shuffle:

9. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Who are your five favorite non-USA skaters and/or pairs/dance teams, and why? (I'm looking for specifics, not superficial answers like "because they won Olympic gold.")

10. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:lol:

11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

:lol:

With how disrespectful he is to athletes (and sports in general) I don't see him doing any favors to the sport of skating or making it more popular.

12. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I wonder if he feels that the relentless negativity about IJS he and other US columnists base their articles around has contributed to the decline in popularity of figure skating in the US?

But I'm guessing the answer to that would be "No". ;)

Hersh's articles about figure skating lately seem to be either about how awful IJS is, how bad the current crop of US skaters are or how unpopular figure skating has become. Sometimes a combination of all three. I wonder if he is just bored with the sport?

He has been quite dismissive of ice dance in the past. Why does he not cover it more now it's the US's strongest discipline?

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  13. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Because he thinks it's like comparing apples and oranges. He thinks it's dance, not sport.

Basically he hates everything though (and seems to hardly watch much skating), so I don't think the ice dance world should feel too insulted. :lol:

14. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

I wonder if he reads all negative reactions toward him on FSU, and if so how he thinks about them.

15. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Do you think anonymous judging hurt the popularity of figure skating?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. skatesindreams

Let's wait and hear what Mr. Hersh has to say before assuming his answers/thoughts, or condemning them,

17. floskate

floskate Vacant

Manleywoman I hope you give him a tough time. I'd like some justification for the relentlessly negative tripe he spouts that no doubt has a detrimental affect on how skating is currently perceived in the US.

18. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I would really like you to delve into his dismissive attitude toward ice dance and why he doesn't seem to consider it a sport. You could tell him that Scott Hamilton once commented that ice dancers are the most-well-trained athletes in the sport of figure skating because of the strength and athleticism required to do those edges and moves. Thanks!

19. skatesindreams

What needs to happen in the sport to change his negative attitude toward it?

20. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It was so hilarious how he went dance is fair dance Is legitmate when DW won in 2011 then was all dance is unfair dance is illegitimate in 2012 and back again! Just because United states isn't winning in dance doesn't mean its illegitimate. He says dance was illegitimate as an event for so long but seemed to be changing then in 2012 was all dance is all rigged so americans can't win and said IJS is good but went back so fast! And a Canadian team won in 2012! That was supposed to be impossible too back when he was saying it was illegitimate because Russians were winning blocking deserving americans and Canadians from their rightful place as always winning. LOL.

21. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

Or maybe he's just telling the truth? :shuffle:

Agree that he ignores dance, but how long has it been since we've had a man, lady or pair on a World podium?

Ladies? 2006, Kimmie & Sasha
    That's 7 years without a ladies' medal. The US only had 6 years without a ladies' medalist since WWII- 1947-2006, a 60 year period. 3 of those draught years were 1962-64, post the plane crash that wiped out the entire US team. He's right. :eek: WTF happened to our great ladies' tradition? The one that kept the casual fan watching...

Real question for Phil: Why does he think our ladies program has just fallen off the radar? I want his real insight, not junk about IJS or squeals and snarks about Gracie can/no she can't/yes she can/no she can't... yada yada.

Men? 2009, Evan
    4 years without a men's medal. Tied for 2nd worst draught on record with the post-plane crash period 1960-1964. (1971-1977 was the longest.)

Real question for Phil: Who does he think is going to put us back on the podium? Josh? Max? Why? I don't want to hear some fluff about his Chicago homeboy Jason Brown... until Jason has a reliable quad and 3axel in competition he's not even going to see a World rink.

Pairs? 2002 Ina/Zimmerman bronze
    Not that we've ever had a tradition of great pairs, but you gotta start to wonder if we'll ever even get back to that place in time where we at least had contenders for, like, maybe bronze. :slinkaway

This ^

22. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

This is the question I have too, plus does he believe that IJS/COP is the problem? Does he believe that a return to the 6.0 system is the solution?

23. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Kiss his ........:p

24. skatesindreams

I don't agree with everything that Mr. Hersh says, by any means.
    However, would all of you who are so opposed to him, rather have no coverage at all?

That's what's likely to happen, if he stops writing about the sport.
    Skating needs all the mainstream attention it can get.

I'm sure that manleywoman will do her best to address our questions.
    I'm looking forward to the interview.

25. julieann

No coverage.... or not finding anything good about the sport except for snarky and sarcastic comments? I say no coverage.

He certainly isn't bring new fans to the sport when everything he writes about is bitching and complaining. I'm sure someone out there can find good things about this sport and write about them.

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Now that his articles require login to view, I'm essentially at no coverage.

27. skatesindreams

He's not responsible for that!

julieann, you'll likely get your wish.
    It will be too bad if you do.

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure most newspapers would still pick up AP/Reuters newstories about Worlds and other major events, so not sure we'd ever get to a point where skating received no coverage at all. That would happen regardless of US columnists and their coverage of the sport. And to be honest, I doubt skating would get less coverage in an Olympic year, no matter what Hersh himself decides to do.

An actual Q for Phil Hersh (maleywoman, please feel free to leave it out if you feel it doesn't come across well). He's now become a controversial -or at least polarizing- figure in the online skating community. Is he actually trying to bring about some changes to the current IJS (if so, any major issues he'd like to see addressed?) or he is so disenchanted with the sport, it's coming out in his articles?

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i guess the truth hurts. ask phil what kinds of feedback he gets from skaters and the usfsa if any.

30. julieann

Fine. Getting someone else in there to do a better job would be fine too. He's not the only game in town.

I would love to know if he's ever been a fan of skating or is he forced to write about it (and about other sports) he's not fond of because it's his job.