Questions for Peter Oppegard

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, May 22, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hi all. This is the final thread of three I'm posting tonight in which I'm opening the floor for questions to some of my interviewees! :lol: THe PSA COnference is in my hometown this weekend so I'm hoping to get in as many interviews as I can with so much skating greatness in one place. :)

Peter Oppegard and I will hopefully get to do one, though his schedule is really tight for the weekend, If not in person, we'll do it by phone soon after. :)

FOr quick background on him, his Wikipedia bio:
    If you have questions, please let me know here. Thanks!

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Clay

Clay Active Member

I would like to know about the miraculous mandarin for Michelle Kwan. Was it developed to replace her other LP at Worlds? Was Kwan told to dump it?

3. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Do his daughters skate? Do they want to compete some day?
    What was coaching Yu Na like? What did his think of her long program that year, which I think was her best. Was he disappointed she never skated it to its full potential?
    Did he and Yu Na part on good terms?
    I heard that Evan is working with Karen Kwan. Is he also involved in Evan's coaching?

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

How focused was he on getting to Albertville?

What does he think IJS did to pairs?

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Loved his pairs choreo for Stiegler/ Zimmerman many years ago! Is he planning to do more pairs choreo, or does he work more with singles these days?

Was it love at first sight when he met Karen, or did they grow on each other?

I'm sure you will ask about his Olympic bronze medal win with Jill Watson and what that experience was like.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

What is his suggestion on how to build a lady skater who will dominate figure skating like his sister in law, Michelle Kwan? I am sure USA is waiting for the next American Queen of Figure Skating.

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Watson and Oppergard performed one of the most spectacular and dangerous pair lifts I have ever seen. How did the two of them invent "The Swoop?"

What part did Oppergard play in helping Inoue and Baldwin get the throw triple axel?

Also, what was it like to work with Naomi Nari Nam? Her short program with Themistocles Leftheris from the 2006 US Nationals was absolutely brilliant.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Just a reminder of one of the this genius choreo, one of the best programs ever, IMO.

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice" - 1997
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ag8yPacfJA

9. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

When you began to coach Yu-Na, didn't you feel any kind of pressure from coaching the reigning Olympic champion?
    What did you most focus on while coaching her in terms of technical and artistic aspects?

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep! Thanks for posting the vid skatesindreams.

I was really disappointed when Stephanie injured her shoulder and this team broke up.

Manleywoman, perhaps you could also ask Peter what the inspiration was for this program, and what it was like working with Stephanie and John (they were both young newbies with great potential). John definitely was such a stand-out in this ... he was on fire!