Questions for Doug Mattis

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, May 22, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hi everyone. So yes, there will be a few threads like this. I'm interviewing a few people this weekend while the PSA conference is here in my hometown this weekend. Doug Mattis is one of them.

Doug was the US Junior Mens Champion back in 1985, but never quite broke through at the Senior level because, as he tells me, he never got the triple axel. But he made an impact nonetheless throwing in an illegal backflip in his final performance in 1991. A student of Frank Carroll, he and Christopher Bowman were training mates. He also competed at the Pro level, and was in shows, but is mainly now known for his choreography work and work with Young Artists Showcase.

Full disclosure: he and I grew up skating at the same rink together, and he is now my choreographer. :)

So if you have questions for him, please ask them here. :)

Thanks

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

And he is also a lovely funny person on Twitter.

Question 1: The 1991 US Nationals. That shirt, Doug. What were you thinking?

(Also, I involuntarily screamed "bullsh*t!" at my computer when the marks came up in that video. :lol:)

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Nice man. Sean Rabbitt introduced me to him @ US Nationals in San Jose.

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I can't wait for this interview. Doug is an absolute hoot on Twitter. He is very quick.

Because the men's singles skaters were dropping like flies last year in Colorado Springs because of the high altitude, my favourite tweet was when he called Kiss and Cry at Four Continents, the Huff and Puff.

My questions for him are:

What was his inspiration behind one of the funniest pro programs I have ever seen, skated at the 1994 US Open.

How difficult was it to learn and master both the back flip and the cantilever spread eagle? Who taught them to him?

With such a charismatic skating style, who were Doug's idols growing up?

Finally, what was Christopher Bowman like as a training partner and as a friend? I believe the two of them used to go out clubbing together sometimes.