Questions for Caryn Kadavy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, May 22, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hi all. I'm interviewing Caryn Kadavy this weekend while she's in my hometown for the PSA Conference! If anyone has any questions for her, please ask them here. :)

From her Wikipedia bio (which clearly needs updating . . . she no longer lives in Erie, PA):
    Thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2013
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Look forward to listening to the interview!

My question is does she think she could have won a medal at the 1988 Olympics if she had not come down with the flu and had to withdraw

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

What were all the details of the flu - because it meant withdrawal from an Olympics!!!

4. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I've heard there was a positive camraderie between Caryn, Jill, and Debi. What was it like competing with them?

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ITA. And I'd add Tiffany Chin to that mix as well. What was it like trying to remain friendly with each other when the media seemed to always be asking them questions designed to provoke hair-pulling?

I'm sure you'll ask Caryn about her coach-student relationship with Carlo Fassi and what made it work.

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Same line of the flu questions .... did she consider skating in the LP at all (sort of saying "what the hell give it a shot") to see what she could do, just give it a shot and just stop and withdraw if it wasn't happening? Or was she to ill to deal with the spinning and jumping to even try?

Does that make any sense? :confused:

7. marysy

marysy Active Member

What kind of training regimen did she have as a professional skater? I'm curious because she's had such longevity and kept skating long after her peers hung up their skates.

8. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

What was it like working with Toller Cranston in 1988, both with choreography and helping to develop her costumes?

Also, how did Caryn get such a killer triple loop.

9. Plusdinfo

Plusdinfo Member

Where does Caryn live now? Does she have any current connection to dance/does she ever take classes? Which skaters has she found the most balletic (herself excluded)? If she rewatches any performances of anyone (herself included), which ones does she rewatch the most? What are her current goals?

Thank you for asking for our input.

10. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

What were her favorite professional programs that she skated to?

I'm excited that you will be interviewing her, Caryn has always been a favorite of mine :)

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That was one of my questions, as well.

She had great success as a pro skater.
    What changed to allow her to achieve so much?

12. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I would like to know if she and Jill Trenary are still friends?

How does she stay so slim?

Does she do any coaching?

13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Ask her what she thought about Liz Manley's colorful accusations regarding their times together as professionals.

Also ask if she was offended by the ABC cameras going into her sick bed the night of the Calgary free skate.

14. manleywoman

Can you be more specific on the Manley accusations? I haven't come across this yet.

15. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

It was outlined in Liz Manley's second book, As I Am: My Life After The Olympics.

From memory, Liz and Caryn were taking from the same coach, Evelyn Kramer, and Kramer was the catylist in creating a rift between both skaters by favouring Caryn over Liz at one of the professional competitions they both skated in.

I wish I had a copy of the book with me to give you the exact details of the situation.

16. samiller

samiller New Member

I love Caryn's skating--so graceful and fluid. I look forward to another great interview.

Who were her idols during her career?

17. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Ask her about competing against and touring with Katarina Witt and Frau Mueller. I remember Katarina saying that Caryn was one of the skaters who used to get upset by Katarina improvising to her music during practice at competitions. Yet Caryn skated in Katarina's farewell show so they must have become friends at some point.

Frau Mueller stories are always fascinating.

18. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose New Member

Please just tell her that she was one of the most beautiful women ever to set foot on the ice.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Here, here! :cheer:

20. roxynova

roxynova New Member

Wondering if she has any plans to perform again this year - a Disson show perhaps? Hoping we haven't seen the last of her!

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I may be remembering this completely wrong, but there was a story about one skater's husband giving a medical exam to another skater and saying that the skater - who just happened to be competing against his wife at some pro event - had a fast heartbeat or something dreadful like that, and should not risk permanently damaging her health and should immediately withdraw from the competition. Which of course his wife won, after the other skater withdrew. And then the other skater went to a different doctor who examined her and laughed and said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her.

I am thinking that Liz Manley told this story in her second book as it happened to her, and that it was Caryn Kadavy's husband at the time who was the doctor who gave the, uh, suspicious diagnosis. But I could be completely and utterly wrong, in which case I apologize to anyone I misidentified.

22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That is roughly the story Manley gave... She wrote that Kadavy's husband diagnosed her with extremely high blood pressure before a pro-competition and I believe she suggested that this was probably sabotage.

23. manleywoman

Hey all. Thanks for the questions. I had a nice interview with Caryn today. She's as lovely in person as she is on the ice :)

24. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the interview!

25. manleywoman

26. aussieSKATES

aussieSKATES Member

I love the rapport you have with Caryn. What a lovely, relaxed, interesting interview. Thank you for sharing.

27. Plusdinfo

Plusdinfo Member

Thanks for the interview. Where does Caryn live since she's not in Erie anymore?