Questions about insurances- Home and Auto

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am in the process of finding a better insurance rate for my home and auto. I want to get a better rate than I currently have, but does cheaper mean it's not very reliable? I would like to hear some opinions. I am also wondering if there is a published ranking of different insurance companies that I could look up.

Right now I am considering the following options:

Current- Farmer's (I find it too expensive, so I must change)

State farm- about same rates as Farmers

Liberty Mutual- Right now the front runner

Pacific SI- for home

Progressive -Auto

Geico- I have not been able to find out yet. The phone call produced nothing; not even a start. I am going to try their website

If you have any experience with these insurance companies- good or bad, I would appreciate that information.

Thanks in advance.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I used Geico to get a quote for my auto insurance. I did it online. For me they were a little cheaper than what I have but not a ton. However, be warned, they will email you a lot AND call you to follow up. I found that a bit off putting so I decided to just stay where I was. I am currently with Progressive and my rates have gone up every 6 month period for the last year and a half. This is their LAST chance. If they raise my rates again, for no reason, then I am out of there. I can't afford for my insurance rates to go up every 6 months for the rest of my life on a car that continues to lose value.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Seconding the Geico follow up thing. I did a quote for car insurance on their website and I'm still getting mail from them! They were the most expensive insurance I looked at, too.

I currently have Shelter, which is fine, but I'm looking to switch to Allstate once my six months are up. They had slightly better rates for the same coverage.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Liberty Mutual has a very good reputation.

Check the AM Best ratings for each of the insurers you are considering. For claims problems, check with your state's insurance regulatory agency.

Make sure each insurer is quoting the same thing. They may say they offer replacement coverage for your home, but the terms vary widely with one insurer covering replacement with Class A construction, and another covering Good construction. You save the most when you combine policies and shift your liability coverage to an umbrella policy (covers home, car and other liability sources.)

Have you considered using an independent agent? In our state, you get a very small discount if you purchase online. For me, it's not worth the hassle.

5. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I have State Farm, and wherever I've lived they've consistently been the cheapest. They're also the best I've found if you ever have to file a claim.

I only knew one person with Liberty Mutual, and they were very difficult to pay on a claim. It wasn't in your area of the country, though, so it may have been a local thing.

6. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I can only say that Geico would be able to offer lower rates if they didn't advertise so relentlessly. The gecko, the cave men, the pile of bills with eyes, the noir detective guy--they have so many advert themes running simultaneously. And now you all are telling me that they pursue leads relentlessly. That costs too.

I've been with the non-profit Amica for many years for auto and home, and now umbrella too. Not the cheapest but the customer service is really good. I trust them, as much as I could trust any insurance company. Consumer Reports consistently rates them highly.

7. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I used to have Progressive for my car insurance, and then my insurance agent found me a policy with Traveler's - exact same coverage for half as much $$. My premium went from $700+ for 6 months down to $358.

8. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

My husband and I have everything through Mercury -- and they have been very helpful in a few minor fender benders. They also have a selection of umbrella policies, including one that allows for extra UM/UIM coverage (many don't have that). Haven't done any comparison shopping in years, though, so I don't know if others are less expensive.

9. marciaH

marciaH New Member

We’ve had our car and house both insured with The Hartford (http://hartfordauto.com/) since ages. We get a decent combo discount for both car and house being on the same policy. There have been some small claims in the past, but these have been taken care of pretty satisfactorily. I don’t recall any sudden premium hikes that egged me to look around. I value the comfort and good service a lot more than some miniscule amount saved. Cost effectiveness of an insurance policy is something you’ll have to judge for yourself.

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Rates vary tremendously state by state. Try
    www.quicken.com/insurance or www.insweb.com to get a first cut at what might be the least expensive rates in your state/zip code, and then call some of those companies directly.

We've had State Farm for forever, and they've been good with claims, but I suspect that for any company it really depends on the local people employed. We were hit by someone with Liberty Mutual years ago, and I'd never go through them given the hassle they put me through -- but maybe they're fine in a different area.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Vash01, do you have AAA membership? I believe if you mention that you have it to your auto insurance provider, most of them give you 5%-10% off.