Questions about furnishing a dorm room

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Debbie Downer checking in. Most unis advise students to wait for their roommate assignment before buying anything that will be shared in the room. That would apply to the fridge, microwave, TV, cooking supplies and dorm decor. It's not unusual for a roommate to have an older sib who has all the stuff already and will be handing it down.

The only thing my niece needed was a storage bench (today's equivalent of the foot locker). Perhaps you could think along those lines?
  2. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

If she is not going to be on a campus dining plan, a nice crockpot along with a simple crockpot recipe cookbook might be a good gift. Crockpots were allowed in dorms when I went to college (back in the dark ages) and mine really came in handy. It was so nice to get back to the room after a long day of classes and enjoy a hot, wholesome meal. Very economical, too.
  3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

No problem Debbie ;) - you actually raise a good point. Getting along with roommates is so important, and that often starts with setting up house together.

This is a really good idea. She does like to cook, and while I think most college kids don't go to that kind of trouble these days, it is a gift she would have for years and years. I still use the crockpot someone gave me as a housewarming gift way back in the 1980s, and I can't imagine I'll ever need to replace it. It's also a suitable gift from Aunt Jenny because as posters who participate in food threads know, I like to cook too :)
  4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Would a nice "legal" 20-22" carry-on suitcase be a good choice? Given what airlines charge these days for checked luggage (Southwest excepted) having a bag you can legitimately carry on-board can be a big help. Some 22" bags don't actually fit in many of the overhead bins, which is why I said "legal". I got a very good Tumi one at Costco that has worked well. One in some color other than black would really be a treat. (Though you won't get that at Costco.)

What a great aunt you are!

D's college dorms, which were brand new when she moved in, absolutely prohibited anything but a dorm fridge and a small microwave. No crockpots, popcorn poppers, quesadilla makers, space heaters, ... allowed. No candles either, for obvious reasons. I'd guess dorms with older wiring would be even less amenable to other electrical devices being used.
  5. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

When our daughter when to university, we bought her a small fridge. It comes in really handy for keeping milk and healthy snack foods. Most universities will allow them, or so we've found in Canada. But exnay on the microwave, toaster ovens, etc. There's been too many little fires and most universities won't allow them.

Rather than outright buying a fridge right now, you could perhaps grab a box for one from a furniture store, wrap it, and put a note in it saying when the time comes you'll buy her one. That way, she knows and everyone else knows what your intentions are. And then if you can't buy it, you can find out what she needs then. :)
  6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That is also a good idea. I could also just do a picture of one in a card, and give her a smaller gift as well so she has something tangible.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Don't need to imagine. My uni didn't allow them. If you were living in the dorms that didn't have an in-suite kitchen, you could rent a fridge or a fridge/microwave combo from the approved supplier. You were NOT premitted to bring in your own appliances. It makes sense--that way they have one supplier, one company responsible for repairs/replacement, know exactly what large appliance is going into the buildings and what condition it's in.

I'd go for a gift you know she can use (a new laptop, tablet, etc.) and/or hold off on things like cooking stuff until you know what the school she's attending allows.