Question: taking care of cat after major surgery

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Alixana, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

So my 13 year old cat had major abdominal surgery this week. Everything went well and I have her meds and food under control, but I'm looking for suggestions re: litter.

I've been using Yesterday's News and she HATES the newspaper pellets. I added a couple of handfuls of her regular litter to the bottom of the box, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have to pick her up and put her in the box 6-7 times before she decides to go (and I know she has to go because she keeps walking around the box).

Any ideas??
    Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'm not sure I understand. Why did you change to the newspaper pellets instead of her regular litter?
  3. Alixana

Because of the 6 inch incision on her belly .. it's oozing some clear fluid so regular litter can get stuck there and cause infection.
  4. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Have you tried the "pearl" type litter? It's different, but doesn't stick. You can get it at Petsmart or any other pet store.
    Hope your :cat: is better soon. :)

Litter Pearls
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Cats generally don't like a change in litter, especially older cats. The behavior you describe is typical, IME. Can you bandage the incision or does the vet want it left uncovered?
  6. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Cats don't touch their stomachs to the litter so the old type litter should be ok. The only time the pellets should be necessary is after declawing. I've never had a vet reccommend the pellets after spaying.
  7. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

My vet absolutely recommends pellets or shredded newspaper after spaying / neutering.

Alixanna - I echo skipaway's suggestion to try the pearls. The other thing you could try is shredded newspaper.

Maybe you could buy a couple of those disposable litter boxes at PetCo or PetSmart and try a couple of different options. That way your cat would have a choice.

Good luck, and I hope she recovers well from her surgery.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Alixana

Thanks for the suggestions ... have bought the pearls and am just about to shred newspaper to see what works. The incision seems to be healing well so hopefully she can go back to regular litter in 2-3 days.

And I'm being super careful this time because she developed an infection in her incision after spaying and the emerg vet said it was likely because of using regular litter. I didn't want her to go through all that again. :(
  9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have found a good option. Hope kitty gets well soon.
  10. Cocomo

Cocomo New Member

My mom's cat is coming up on 17 years old, she is having trouble getting in and out of the traditional littler box so they tried the Wee-Wee Pads for housebreaking puppies with great success. :cat:
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  11. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

OT but: my cats stand when they pee. I've had such a mess around and under their box b/c of dripping. I use the wee pads, cut in half and drape them inside the box around the back and sides. So when they pee, the pad catches the urine. No more messy cleanup of box or floor.