Question related to my trip to Russia and possible other countries

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, May 7, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thanks Southpaw

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

When you're in Wroclaw, the best place to get food by far is Najadacze.

It's a small vegan place run by really lovely people. The food is reasonably priced and really delicious and I just love the warm and friendly vibe that place has.

If you want to go out to have something more fancy, there's an organic, mostly raw food vegan restaurant called Machina Organika. They don't have a website but here's the address: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...d&FORM=FBKPL0&name=Machina Organika&mkt=en-US

Both of these places are located in the city centre, within the walking distance of the main sights.

Very very few people in Poland are vegetarian or vegan but for some reason there's quite a lot of veggie places in Wroclaw.

I wouldn't really recommend the others though, definitely not in the league of those two. :p

(Oh and Złe Mięso has moved to a new location but I think it's closed again now for some refurbishment work from what I heard. In any case the only food they do is greasy, deep-fried fast food crap. I wouldn't recommend unless you're in the mood for something along those lines.)

Last edited: May 12, 2013
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

:rofl: Does McMięso still have good tea at least or are they frying that, too?

4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am reading some unflattering things about the trains in Poland. I am seriously considering visiting Krakow for 2 days, but flying from Wroclaw to Krakow (or the other way round) is very expensive. I did some search on the internet about the trains, but the journey is 5 hours long and I am reading some bad things about the trains- like they are attacked by bandits...? Is someone joking or is it really dangerous to travel by train? Keep in mind that I am not very adventurous, and I may even skip Krakow altogether if there is danger.

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I've taken the train from Krakow to Warsaw and had no issues. I've never even heard that there are issues on trains, except in Russia.

6. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

There can be issues on trains in Poland, but I think the Krakow-Warsaw route is such a main thoroughfare that it's ok, especially during the day. Ziggy would know better than me so hopefully he'll pop back in here and opine on the matter. I was on a train from cow town to Gdansk and I was in a compartment by myself at night and nobody bothered me so like anywhere else in the world, anything can happen. I can walk in my neighborhood and possibly get punched in the face for my iGadget, hasn't happened yet and maybe it never will happen but it COULD happen because that's the risk you take when you venture out of your house. But then if you stay home all the time there could be termites. As Little Edie would say it's awful either way.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Actually I am thinking of the Wroclaw-Krakow route. I would be very scared if I was the only person in a compartment. If there are others around, it serves as a safety net (usually). I should ask my friend in Wroclaw about the risk, but I don't know if she travels by train at all. May be she just drives or flies. We had not communicated in many years, and only recently reconnected through facebook.

I have so many questions about Poland- just getting around (e.g. do the hotels there have a free pick up and drop off from the airport?)

ETA: I just talked to my travel agent (I know it was a mistake to make the air travel reservations through the tour!). He said he can't give me the 2-days earlier ticket without an additional cost. So I may not be able to do both Wroclaw & Krakow in the limited time I have (just 3 full days). I may have to choose between the two, and since I have already agreed to see my friend in Wroclaw, I may have to postpone the visit to Krakow. I am however going to ask the travel agent if I could cancel my air ticket and then I could make the reservations on my own. It may still amount to the same price though. I bought the ticket through him because spending several hours on the internet had brought me to $8 more than what he quoted me at that time. All other options were way more expensive, and I was getting tired of checking the air fares every night. The only way I could see Auschwitz would be by taking a day tour from Wroclaw, but according to my friend it would not be worth it to see places in such a hurry.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Do the cell phones from USA work in Poland and Russia? I have an i4 and I am not sure how to make a phone call, once I am there. I know the country code of course. Not sure if I will need to use it.

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You need the 4S if you want it to work in Europe.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance. What is 4S?

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

I have Siri and gestures on my i phone. I may even have i4S. I will go to the Verizon store this weekend to find out what I have and what I will need to add to make it 'Europe friendly'.