Question re: Katy Perry's "T.G.I.F." Song

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, Sep 21, 2011.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

I hear the song on several radio stations in Calgary, but one of them, Kool 101.5, seems to be playing a censored version. There is one line they keep editing out. Instead of "then had a menage a trois" the line "so we hit the boulevard" is repeated. Quite weird.

Here is the actual song:

There's a stranger in my bed,
    There's a pounding my head
    Glitter all over the room
    Pink flamingos in the pool
    I smell like a minibar
    DJ's passed out in the yard
    Barbie's on the barbeque
    This a hickey or a bruise

( pre chorus )
    Pictures of last night
    Ended up online
    I'm screwed
    Oh well
    It's a blacktop blur
    But I'm pretty sure
    it ruled
    Damn

( Chorus )
    Last Friday night
    Yeah we danced on tabletops
    And we took too many shots
    Think we kissed but I forgot
    Last Friday night
    Yeah we maxed our credit cards
    Then got kicked out of the bar
    So we hit the boulevard
    Last Friday night
    We went streaking in the park
    Skinny dipping in the dark
    Then had a menage a trois *
    Last Friday night
    Yeah I think we broke the law
    Always say we're gonna stop
    But this Friday night
    Do it all again
    This Friday night
    Do it all again

Trying to connect the dots
    Don't know what to tell my boss
    Think the city towed my car
    Chandelier is on the floor
    Ripped my favorite party dress
    Warrants out for my arrest
    Think I need a ginger ale
    That was such an epic fail

( Pre chorus )

( Chorus )

T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.

( Chorus )

*(the substituted line)

Has anyone else noticed this? Are any radio stations your way doing this?

2. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

No station in my area has done this. They all use the menage a trois line. That's silly that it's being edited that way. Is that Kool station a more "family" station as opposed to a Top 40 station?

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's not surprising. Lots of songs get censored in weird ways like that.
    I listen to country music, but two I can think of are
    "Toes in the water, ass in the sand" is "Toes in the water, toes in the sand". The same station plays both versions, but the ass version is never during the standard school commute times, just during the work day or late at night.

The SAME song has the line "I'm gonna lay in the hot sun and roll a big fat one" and the word fat gets bleeped from it. Apparently if we don't hear that it isn't drug related? I think that is the dumbest edit ever.

4. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that done here in the San Francisco Bay Area stations. BTW, I HATE that song! :p It's soooo... trying too hard partygirl/don't know who got me preggo/ ack I caught an STD! /blitzed out of my mind is all I care about doing song. blech
    I must be getting old.

edited to add that Casey Anthony pops into my head whenever I hear this song.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

eh, I loathe this song. She's easily the worst of the current pop tarts.

6. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I'm still disappointed that all of the radio stations in my area wimped out and didn't play the original version of CeeLo Green's song "Forget You."

siouxdonym, IMO T.G.I.F. still isn't as bad as Firework. Now there's a crap song.

And while Katy is on my list of overrated pop singers, Britney Spears goes number one. That synthesized robot on helium voice is annoying and I can't believe how much credit she is given. Idol and icon my arse. :shuffle:

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I only like Katy Perry's songs when Lea Michele and other members of Glee sing them.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. missflick

missflick New Member

Well, this thread is about censorship, not who likes Katy Perry or not.

Another radio station here censors Foster the People's "Pumped up Kicks". The words "gun" and "bullet" magically disappear.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That is just pathetic. They might as well not play the song at all since those lyrics are essential to understanding what the song is even about. It reminds me how some stations censor the word "sex" during Bruno Mars "Lazy Song." Since when is "sex" a bad word? There are plenty of words that are bad that could have been used but he went with the right one for radio. Would they prefer he said "copulate?"

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Adele's Rolling in the Deep has the line that sounds like "lay your sh*t bare" (but all the lyrics I look up say "ship bare") and it comes censored as "lay fish bare". Makes me :rofl: every time I hear it!!

12. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

It's not censorship if a radio refuses to air a song, that is exercising editoriolship. It is only censorship if the government orders it against the radio-owner's wishes.

13. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Cuss words should always be censored out. Kids don't need to hear it.
    I don't think a lot of them will know what a menage trois is. May even think it's another word.

14. missflick

missflick New Member

The funny thing is, censorship is not very consistent. The word "shit" is often edited in a lot of songs, but I have yet to hear it edited in George Michael's "Fast Love". I always hear it loudly and clearly.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What has always been funny to me is that certain cuss words are ok, specifically on television. If a word has an alternate meaning it is fair game. Bitch, damn, ass, etc. However, the other words are just crude for the sake of being crude I suppose and they can't be used or will be bleeped.

16. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The shows with cursing are usually on later in the evening. I think the cutoff used to be 9pm but the start time seems to have migrated to 8pm lately. So many people have become de-sensitized to foul language that it doesn't add anything to the script or, in this case, lyrics.

Crying "censorship!" is a moot point in this case. A song like "I'm a B--ch" would suffer from losing that word, but not the song in the OP losing "menage a trois." It's not that significant to the song. "Hit the boulevard" makes me think they're turning tricks, so the theme stays the same. That's the only line they cut? Amazing, given the rest of the lyrics. The one that got away really has little to no impact, lol.

It's really up to the artists/record companies: if they want their song played on "family friendly" stations, they have to clean them up. Radio Disney has "clean" versions of most popular songs with objectionable lyrics. They broadcast their versions and you can buy them through iTunes. (Look for "RD Version" in the description.)

The artists/record companies know what the standards are for the station and they provide the alternate vocals. This is much the way TV stations show edited movies and shows.

I prefer stations that have clean lyrics in their songs. My oldest was precocious and could memorize lyrics even as a three-year old, so we switched to AAHS World Radio and Radio Disney many years ago after she repeated "shake her *** on the hood of whitesnake's car" to my MIL. Since RD put AAHS out of business, that station has gone downhill - it's really Cali Girl Central, even the male celebs. The DJ talk down to the callers and act like idiots on the air, when they're not hyping the latest Disney show/movie/star/concert/etc. It's like a 24-hour commercial for Everything Disney. Thanks for the stations everyone listed - I'll have to listen online.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Censorship does not have to be done by the government. For example, a parent can censor what their child reads.

I couldn't find a dictionary that limited censorship to the government. The radio stations are censoring the songs, based on their own editorial guidelines.

18. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I liked the song until I actually listened to the lyrics and not just the TGIF part of it.

19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I have no idea how Kidz Bop is going to do their version of this song for the next compilation. ;)

20. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

21. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Because, you know, they're not going to hear them in school, in public, from their parents...... :shuffle:

22. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Being exposed to foul language in the schools, streets and home is quite enough without setting it to catchy music and selling it as the right way to speak to others via interviews.

For the record, I can curse like a sailor - I'm from NY - but even I keep it in check around kids, as does the rest of my family. DH's family are really bad and they let their kids curse left and right. The more I can prevent them from hearing that and assuming it's okay, the better. Truthfully, I don't want to hear it in a song unless it's meaningful.

In school, one of my DDs called someone a foul name and the teacher disciplined her and contacted us to ensure it didn't happen again, being against the school disciplinary code. We thanked him because she should have just kept her mouth shut in the first place. She's lucky it didn't escalate to violence - even in middle school, calling someone something nasty gives them the excuse to beat the daylights out of you.

Foul-mouthed morons abound, even in DisneyWorld. What's astonishing is that they don't have to be parents to curse. Teens I sort of dismiss since they're just exploring the envelope. When a young adult doesn't have the sense to reign in their language around kids, it's a character flaw, imo.

All you can do as a parent is use them as a "What NOT to do" example and encourage your kids to expand their vocabulary in a positive way that will help them in life. Cursing doesn't impress anyone of value.

23. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I would prefer a station refuse to play the song rather than censoring it. I think it's a station manager's prerogative what's on the station's playlist. Playing it and altering it isn't the answer. You don't like it, don't play it.

I personally hate this song. I mostly enjoy Katy Perry. She's light and fun and a little naughty. This song is gross. It's about losing control and that's not something to glamorize to kids or even adults for that matter.

24. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

When the artists and record companies WANT to have the song played, so they provide an alternate version for Radio Disney and the other stations.

In the US, I've never heard a "bleeped" song played, but I think the OP was talking about a Canadian radio station. In that case, I agree with you: just don't play it at all.

25. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

If the artist and the record label provide an alternate, radio friendly version, then that's fine.

But to take the artist's version and adapt it, not okay. Just don't play it.

26. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that title belongs solely to Ke$ha. She is horrible.

27. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

My Chemical Romance's "Teenagers" had those lyrics edited out as well. "Shit" I can understand, but bleeping "shirt" in the line "under your shirt," um, well, I was confused about that, and then "gun" of course, and there were some others. I just listen to the song on my iPod.

28. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Something I found interesting was that classic rock stations in the US tend to censor "bullshit" in Pink Floyd's Money but I often hear the uncensored version on Canadian stations.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That.

The idea of censoring "menage a trois" is just so :rofl: and :rolleyes:.

30. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

The radio stations here don't censor anything in that song, but at a school I sub at frequently, the broadcast students have it in their morning annoucements. I figure the broadcast teacher is either clueless or trying too hard to be cool.