Question re Bringing a Dog to Canada from the US

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

My sister is planning a long weekend in Canada and wants to bring her dog. We've looked online, and it seems like all she'll need to do is get a rabies certificate and a health certificate. Some sites just say a rabies certificate, but enough say a general health certificate as well that she's planning to get both.

Has anyone had experience bringing a dog from the US to Canada (and back again) recently and do you have any extra tips or suggestions? Was it an easy experience or did you have any trouble at the border?

2. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

My sister carts her dog back and forth all the time, and I believe the rabies certificate is the one you need.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I used to take my cat back and forth - entering Canada, you need a certificate the rabies shot is up to date, and it doesn't hurt to have a full certificate that says everything else is up to date. Depending on where you enter, you may need to go to secondary inspection, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Re-entering the US, you need nothing - at least as of 2007, the last time I did it. I recall one time I had checked the box on the form saying I had plant or animal matter and the guy asked what I have, so I lifted up the cat carrier and showed him :lol:

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

We take our dogs camping in Canada every year. All we carry is a printout from the vet showing their vaccination records, plus their rabies certificates. We've never had a problem.