Question for frequent fliers-- a ticket question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jayar, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I am traveling next week, and I need to change my flight reservation due to some last minute snafus. I have a round trip ticket, and when I go to the carrier (Delta) to change, I would incur a $200 change fee plus $69 for the fare difference. If I book a one one-ticket (on the return) for the time that I need to change, it is $186. Is there any issue with me doing this? And if not, is there something that I can do to recover any amount from the previous ticket? I could travel with a different airline on the new ticket, and just write off the other ticket. Recommendations?

Thank you!

2. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

It all depends on the ticket you have, if it is a non-refundable ticket or not. However, as far as I know, if it were a refundable ticket you would have to cancel the entire trip and then book it new. Otherwise, as soon as you get on that first flight, I don't think there's any way of recovering anything. (depending on airline and where you're going, a one-way trip might even be more expensive, so if you called the airline to ask if you could, for example, change it into a one-way ticket, it might cost more)
    As far as booking a new flight for the way back, I don't see any problem with that, as long as it is the entire return portion of the flight that you want to re-book. We have booked round trips because it was cheaper than one-way and just didn't get on that "return" flight.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

How did you book it? If directly on the airline site, you can call them and point out that the flight is cheaper than the change fee and see what they can do. If you booked on Orbitz or Travelocity, call their help line with the same info and get a professional opinion.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Travel on a different airline for the return.

Your original airline probably (almost certainly) has language in the tariff that prohibits you from split bookings where you "throw away" the back half of a ticket, or don't use the segment after a connection and then book a cheaper ticket back.

But you're clear if you simply buy a new ticket on a different airline home.

(Have I mentioned how much I like Southwest, simply because of their enormously customer-friendly policy that lets you trade in a ticket up to 10 minutes before a flight with no penalty?)

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Called and they waved the change fee :) Thanks everyone!

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That's a win!

7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I know, right? Was so happy that I spent an extra ten minutes on hold to give positive customer service feedback. The CSR on the phone was WONDERFUL.

8. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

We've had to do it a few times lately, changing the return trip, never had the fee waved. That was with American though.