Question about Routers and Modems for Computer Savvy People

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Aug 23, 2011.

1. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Hi--
    I am asking for patience in advance, and feel free to ask any questions you need to for clarification. I am sure that I left something out.

I have new internet access at home through my job thru Charter. I'm excited about this, because this means that I can disconnect my other service. The problem that I am having is that I want to be able to connect ot the internet at the same time on both computers, but I have no idea how to do this.

The work computer is a desktop.....it connects to the internet thru a router, and it's password protected and all of that, so after you log onto the computer itself we have to use an RSA token to sign into the system. I don't know if it matters, but that's why I mention it.

The internet modem has 4 ports, as does the router. However, every time I try to access the internet using the modem for my personal laptop and the modem/router for work, I am only able to get one internet connection. If I connect the laptop to the computer solely thru the modem I am able to get a connection. If I use the modem/router with the desktop I am able to get a connection, but I can't get both together.

I tried to connect the laptop to the internet thru the router while the desktop computer was logged into the internet, but that didn't work either....it would ask for my user name and password and then time out.

My question is....is there something wrong with the modem that I can't get both connections at the same time? Do I need another router (which is what one of my co-workers told me another co-worker did, but I don't know her well enough to ask)? Or should I just forget it.....HELP!

2. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I"m not much help at all but I just wanted to say I sometimes have 4 laptops, my ipad and my blackberry all connected to the internet at one time, through my one cheapo router in the basement. It too is password protected, but once we have the password entered once, we never have to entered it again, we are just automatically logged on whenever we sign on the the computers.

I hope someone can be more help. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it's a work router (if I'm understanding that correctly) that is programmed to only allow a connection to a work computer?

3. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Is it wireless? You should be able to run up to 4/5 devices though this. Did you have to upload a program to use it?

4. FiveRinger

No, neither is wireless. There are cords on both--I didn't upload a program. Just plug in the ethernet cable.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Was the router supplied by your employer? If so, ask the IT people if it's restricted to just employer supplied equipment. Assuming it's not restricted, you'll need to connect the laptop with a cable, then run the Internet setup program to "discover" the new connection. The laptop still has the configuration of your old setup, so you need to "tell it" about the new one.

6. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Yes, ask your workplace's IT folks. I know for a while our remote access system would only allow one connection through a given router. So if I was using my worklaptop I could not also connect with my personal laptop at the same time.

7. FiveRinger

I'm still working on this.....I called tech support after I bought a wireless router. I think they are dumber than me, and I am butt-ass stupid!