Question about Cynthia Phaneuf

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by krenseby, Dec 2, 2010.

1. krenseby

krenseby New Member

When I looked up Cynthia Phaneuf in Wikipedia, I noticed she had a stellar Grand Prix season in 2004-2005; she won two GP medals and qualified for the Grand Prix final. Ever since then, she has never medaled at any GP event. Was her GP success that season a result of skating that was extraordinarily good by her standards or did she simply luck out?

2. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Attack of the puberty monster after 2005, mostly. ;)

Mucho credit :respec: to Cynthia for rebuilding her jumps afterwards and having a great 2010 Worlds.

3. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Wasn't that before her growth spurt when everyone was pointing to her as the next great ladies skater?

4. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

That was before she had a major growth spurt.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Then Phaneuf missed the 2005-2006 Olympic season due to the growth spurt combined with injuries. I'm glad she perservered and became competitive again starting last season! :)

6. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Hmm. Her jumps must have been spectacular back then. She won the Canadian title and beat Joannie Rochette. She's never beaten Joannie at the Canadian Championships ever again. (Of course, no idea if Joannie was as good then as she is now.)

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

8. jadore

jadore New Member

Wow - seeing that Youtube video, she looks so young! I remember seeing her performance on TV at '04 Canadians and during 04-05 Grand Prix and thinking that she would be the next great female Canadian skater. It's a shame puberty/injury did such a number on her but her bounceback these past few seasons has been great to see. If she can be relatively consistent like she was at '09 4CC and this past Worlds then I see a few more good seasons coming from her.

I'm still very much on the fence about whether or not she can make the podium at say, Worlds, though, since her consistency from competition to competition (heck, from program to program like at Skate Canada) is rather questionable. But I do see an increased confidence in her from her great skate at Worlds and wish her the best for the rest of the season. I hope she can win a long-awaited 2nd title at Canadians and conquer those consistency demons!

9. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Actually, I thought that Rochette was better than Phaneuf at that point in time. Joannie may have been inconsistent, but Phaneuf's jumps were kinda awkward both on the takeoff and the landing even at their best. And Joannie's basic skating skills were much better too.

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but she didn't have just any growthspurt, it was a really major one and she lost most of her triples in the process, and then she was injured. Cynthia had quite the comeback story a few seasons ago.

11. Sonata

Sonata Member

From what I remember, Joannie bombed the SP and won the long over Cynthia. I also remember that Cynthia did terribly in the LP at Skate Canada - she fell several times - but won anyways. She was not particularly consistent back then either.

I found her very charming back then and her expression drew me in. But IMO her style is not as refined as some of the other skaters on the scene now (I find her hunched shoulders and some of her crossovers quite awkward) and she seems to have two main expressions: skate with mouth open or open mouth wider while moving eyebrows expressively.

It seems she is struggling with consistency, but I can see her putting it together at worlds one day and medalling. Don't know if it will be on a regular basis though.

12. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Rochette was 5th place after the short at the 2004 Nationals. She fell on both her triple Lutz and her triple flip; she did indeed win the long, though, rotating all of her seven triples. Her only error was a step-out of the triple Lutz (this was the year she started landing the jump with the correct outside edge take-off).

As a whole, that year at Canadian Nationals was ridiculously good. Annie Bellemare finished in 4th place overall (3rd in the long) with five triple jumps completed-- two being Lutzes.

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I am so glad she is substantially back to her old form despite being crazily tall now for a top skater. She has a rare palmost regal resence (even back when she won Nationals for the first time) that few other skaters have.

She is one of the few that could make empty programs work because she has such excellent innate musicality and pacing.

14. pinky166

Is Cynthia really crazily tall? I thought she was 5'6"? Nowadays there actually seem to be a bunch of skaters around that height - Carolina, Kiira, Agnes, Kristene Musademba, Alexe, Sarah Hecken, Joshi, Ksenia to name some.

15. jadore

jadore New Member

^She's 5'7"... which is above average for females but gigantic as a skater. The skaters you listed are around the same 5'6"-5'7" range as well. The tallest skater that comes to mind for me is Lucinda Ruh - 5'9", apparently. Candace Didier from France is also quite tall, her ISU profile puts her at 171 cm (so a touch over 5'7"). It's a lot harder to fully rotate jumps when you are taller and making errors are far less forgiving but the effect that longer limbs can have on the ice can be quite breathtaking (with good line, of course).

Cynthia has a wonderful presence on the ice. I do hope she works on her crossovers, though. She always has one of her arms kind of awkwardly in front of her and I find it rather distracting.

16. pinky166

Oh ok. I agree about her crossovers, it always bugs me how her arms just kind of hang there because she's otherwise so expressive and has these long, muscular arms that are gorgeous to look at but she does nothing with them!

17. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I'm sure she is over 5'7". I've stood next to her and I would say she is between 5'8" and 5'9". Now, she is very very thin so maybe she just seems taller, but 5'7" just doesn't seem right. As a side note, she is also solid muscle. There is a reason she can land those triples - core strength and plenty of it!

18. pinky166

I've heard it was rumored she's around 5'8", and she did look a lot bigger than Kiira in the warmups at TEB, so that might be right. I feel like most skaters look taller than their listed heights though, probably because they are always wearing skates which add about 3 inches :lol:

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Cynthia was listed on her Olympic bio last year as being 5'6" and 132 lbs. I remembered it because of the greater height and weight than the other tiny ones lol.

20. pinky166

I feel like if that weight is correct, she must be taller than 5'6", otherwise she'd look like a hefer out there, which she doesn't, she looks thin even on tv.

21. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Muscle is heavier than fat, and occupies less space. It may be possible for her to appear thin, yet weigh more than expected compared to the average person of the same size.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Cynthia's bone structure is larger than the other womens', if you look at them together, even though she might even have less body fat than some. She's kind of the opposite of Rachael Flatt, who I'd call small boned and squishy.

23. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

squishy? :rollin:

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

sioux, clear out some of your PMs!!

25. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

this is waht I tell myself EVERY DAY!:D