Question about Apple iTunes and Windows iTunes...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by musicgurl, Apr 13, 2011.

1. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

My brother is contemplating getting a Apple computer, but he has an HP model now and he's concerned that with getting a Apple he might not be able to transfer his purchased playlist over to a different OS. So I figured I would come on here and see if anyone has tried, or knows some sort of way to make it work. Thanks:D.
  2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I just moved from a Windows OS to a Mac OS and it was no problem. Then again I just transferred the files myself (have a backup on an external drive) and made sure I was signed into iTunes so it wouldn't be yelling at me about playing illegal files or whatever.
  4. musicgurl

I'll probably be ok if I get a Mac then. I backed up my music to my external drive ages ago. My brother doesn't have his music backed up though. Just his pictures. His biggest problem is his current computer got virused so he can't get his TV shows off it. He didn't have space for them on his iPod.
    Thanks for the help:D
  5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

If he purchased them on iTunes, he can probably download them again without paying, if he begs Apple Support enough. I've heard it done before. Of course they don't advertise the service, but it's possible to do it...
  6. musicgurl

I'll let him know, thanks.
  7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Within iTunes, there's an option to transfer purchased music from your iPod back to a computer. Don't count on Apple letting you re-download them... they will tell you to transfer them from the iPod/iPhone.

The biggest issue most people find when changing computers is not transferring the music files and authorizing the computer, it's losing their playlists, playcounts and ratings. If you transfer using the iLounge method, in addition to getting the music files, you get the iTunes DATABASE that contains all the metadata for your library.