Quebec town rocked by explosions, fire after derailment in Lac-Mégantic

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The investigation suspects that not enough handbrakes were set on the train. The engineer said that he had set 11, but that needs to be verified, as per this article. I don't know anything about trains' brakes, but apparently a large number of them are needed (makes sense, considering the size). The engineer is understandably facing wrath of the community.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/world/americas/canada-runaway-train/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Scary that something so simple could have caused so much death and destruction.

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ Human error is so frequently the cause, whether it be a big-scale or small-scale incident.

And the blame game has just begun. Yesterday it was a war of words between the train company management and the local fire dept. No doubt this will continue for some time.

And meanwhile the people of Lac-Mégantic continue to live this tragedy -- bad enough not knowing how it happened, but not knowing what happened to your friends and neighbours? I just can't imagine.

4. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Not necessarily and when you are investigator it is a dangerous assumption to make. I did a fantastic incident investigation course a few years ago as part of my job which takes into account everything that can lead to an incident. Basically a company's safety systems need to be so robust it can overcome the opportunity for human error. What you find with many large scale disasters there will be a lack of procedures and systems implemented from management level which result in this (I have seen quite a few of these in my safety training courses, one of which I am currently doing). Just watch a show such as Air Crash Investigations - many of those incidents were caused by problems with the systems which meant the people's actions slipped through the defences. It could be something as simple as an inadequate maintenance checklist that means something is overlooked and not picked up by the person doing the inspection.

The company management need to be really careful before blaming individuals. They could end up in massive doggy-do-do taking that stance, particularly if it is found the management are at fault.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  7. dardar1126

Twitter:

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I believe they found another five more bodies bring the death total to 32 with about 30 still missing.

9. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

So incredibly tragic...

10. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT: Nice gesture by Sir Paul...

:)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  11. dardar1126

Twitter: