Quality of Living worldwide city rankings

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by WildRose, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Go San Francisco!

Down with Happy Meal toys! :mitchell:

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That may very well be true. Also, I miss European architecture. And no, obviously, our city government has nothing at all to do other than to waste time/:bribe: on laws that don't work. :scream:
    Except not. McD figured out a way around this: since they are not allowed to GIVE AWAY toys with Happy Meals, they are now charging 10 cents for it to go with the meal. Proceeds go to the Ronald McDonald charity. :rofl: Nanny state fail.

Also, how do you, admirers of the city feel about the San Francisco Unified School district policy that required higher test scores from Chinese-American students when they were applying to magnet public schools? True story. This policy was only overturned as a result of a lawsuit.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  3. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I'm sure you could find a crazy story about Vienna city administration without trying very hard as well. :lol:

San Francisco struck me as the most European city in the U.S. I've been to (and yes I lived there ;) ), so maybe you wouldn't like to live in Europe as much as you think. ;)

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, and?
    I always find this "SF is so Euro" notion baffling. I've lived in Europe, both Eastern and Western, btw. I never said I would like to live in Europe again. I expressed a liking for a European city, not quite the same thing.

5. allezfred

The grass is always greener.

Well you don't live in Europe any more and sound like you hate San Francisco. Perhaps you should try living somewhere else like Texas or Alaska. It might be a better fit. :saint:

6. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I always thought it had a European quality to it too. But then most Brits I know who visit SF come away with that impression, so maybe I just absorbed that from them.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You are reading something I am not typing. I said I like Vienna, you are reading something clearly different. Oh well.

Perhaps you should try living in Cuba. ;)

8. allezfred

I like living where I live. Unlike you. You always complain about how awful it is to live in San Francisco. If you don't like it, move. Simples.

Otherwise, you're just moaning for the sake of it and secretly love living in a vibrant, fun, multi-cultural city with a temperate climate.

agalisgv and (deleted member) like this.
  9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Simples, eh. I am not going to go into reasons why it may not be "simples". It should be obvious to the most casual observer.
    There are definitely great things about the city, which I have repeatedly stated, including multiculturalism. However, the often ridiculous politics/utterly dysfunctional schools are not a good fit for me, so I've been working on the process you consider so "simples". Also, I prefer SoCal weather to the perpetual fog of San Francisco.

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

I don't like where I live, but I'm kinda stuck here because of personal reasons. I don't mind living in San Fran, but moving will not be easy. :(

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, moving is not easy, especially when for instance, you have a family, friends and job(s), all of which are so utterly "simples" to leave behind.

12. allezfred

My experience is that if someone wants to make a change badly enough, they'll make it happen. If they don't they'll make all sorts of excuses about why it's not possible. ;)

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

My experience is that if someone wants to continue being purposefully obtuse, they'll make it happen. ;)

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

Or if you have disabled relatives that rely on you and need to stay in a certain place. :(

15. agalisgv

IA--don't you live in Marin County? It's rather distinct from SF IIRC.
    I don't know--my son is a quadriplegic, and we've moved several times. If you really have to move, you do it. People with challenging circumstances do it all the time.

I tend to agree with fred that people who don't move generally like where they live relative to other places.

allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  16. allezfred

Just don't mention how much you hate living in awful San Francisco so much and we'll all be happier not to have to read it and think "why the f*ck doesn't she just move then?"

Simples. :saint:

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

No, whatever made you think that? I like Marin, better weather, better schools.

I hate living in awful San Francisco. But you don't have to read it. Simples. :saint:

18. allezfred

Move there! :cheer:

19. agalisgv

Why not move to Marin or Contra Costa Counties? They have fab school districts, and at least with Contra Costa, are on the BART so are easily accessible to SF for commuting purposes.

I'm not trying to be snarky btw. Just curious

20. jlai

jlai Title-less

The only way I can move right now is to cut my ties off every member of my family who live here. :( I'm working on moving though, but if I wanna keep the family (or at least part of it) then I'll have to take my time on this one.

21. agalisgv

Well, I don't know your particular circumstances so can't comment specifically. But sometimes what we fear we'll lose is significantly greater than what we actually do when we do move. It's more the fear of change that keeps us put than anything else often times.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Family, friends and jobs. While Mini Ice is so young, I feel it's important for him to interact with his family, grandparents and cousins.

East Bay and Marin are not easily accessible. Ever been stuck on the East bound 80, on the way to the Bay Bridge?

We are, however, actively making plans to retire elsewhere.

23. allezfred

I have a French friend who initiated divorce proceedings against her Japanese husband and moved from France to Florida with her two girls in the space of three months to take up a new job. But then some people aren't just all talk.

Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  24. jlai

jlai Title-less

I have a great chance of moving in about 3.5 years. I'm patient. So no worries.

25. agalisgv

Well, since you've mentioned schools in the past, I would just point out that the top performing school district in the entire state is located a whole mile from you in Contra Costa County. It has its own BART stop, and takes only about 15 minutes train ride to get to downtown SF.

So if education is really an issue, that's something to consider.

:)

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Clearly, you've never commuted to the East Bay. We've considered even better performing schools on the Peninsula as a back up plan if Mini Ice didn't get into a good school in the city. Luckily, he did. Otherwise, we'd lose the easy accessibility to the grandparents and our jobs.

27. allezfred

Do you belong to a cult or the Scientologists? :eek:

28. jlai

jlai Title-less

No. I don't wanna explain any more as my family could be reading this.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I feel the same way. I don't necessarily want to give out a lot of details here. All I can say is what I've said already: I don't like many aspects of living here but am willing to put up with them for now, for the valuable trade off of having family/friends/jobs. I've made that very clear.

However, we are actively making plans to retire elsewhere.

30. agalisgv

But Contra Costa is part of the East Bay :confused:.

The commute from Orinda to Berkeley (part of the East Bay) on BART is only 15 minutes. And Orinda is the #1 school district in the entire state of CA.

It's not like you have to move there or anything :lol:, but the commute to work from Contra Costa County to other portions of the East Bay would be infinitely easier than traveling to the Peninsula. Plus the Orinda schools are much higher ranked than those in the Peninsula (with far cheaper housing costs).