Quality of Living worldwide city rankings

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by WildRose, Nov 29, 2011.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Those are on the Quality of Living list. I was referring to the Personal Safety list which is below the QOL list.

2. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Beating Montreal by 7 spots. Hmmph. :drama: :p

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

One isolated riot that was relatively quickly contained and one mass murderer doesn't impact general quality of living indexes.

The Downtown East Side is really a very small area. There are other pockets of homelessness throughout the Vancouver area but they are relatively hidden from public view. The homeless here are largely an invisible population and most people who live here rarely give them a thought (sadly). There are beggars in your face in some parts of the city and beggars holding signs at major intersections. You just get used to it (again, sadly). The reason there are so many homeless here is that it's easier to live outside in Vancouver's climate than in the cold climates anywhere else in Canada - though poor social policy on the part of the provincial governments has exacerbated the problem (a third sadly).

I question why Vancouver is so high on the list because it's real estate prices are totally outrageous. Good for those who bought their home way back when or made half a million or more buying and selling real estate during the market boom. But everyone else pays a whole lot to live in what would be tiny shoebox space anywhere else in the country.

Yes, it's beautiful here. But it's cold and wet for 10 months of the year too. IMO Winnipeg offers far higher quality of life. Same is probably true of most other small Canadian cities.

Too cold for me though. I prefer the dark and rain.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This ranking doesn't take the cost of living into consideration.

It's not meant for the general public. Its target demographic is very high earners.

5. Ania

Ania Active Member

Well, Pittsburgh made the list and it's a very affordable city. Luckily for me!

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The Personal Safety Rankings are absurd. Four or five cities from the same city are clustered together, suggesting that extrinsic factors (such as the respective countries' international relations, as mentioned above) are given weight all out of proportion to their actual effects on personal safety in particular communities.

As for the Quality of Living rankings, I would only note that the food in Milan (#42) and Paris and San Francisco (joint #30) is miles better than the food in Vienna (#1), Munich (#4), and Amsterdam (#12). :shuffle:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  7. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

:p to you too, the Euro isn't exactly off the charts lately.

I'd define value as getting the most amenities for a relatively achievable standard of living/income. Which lets out NY, London, San Fran, Geneva....

Then there are countries where the rent is high but the social safety net is thick, like the Scandinavian countries.

I dunno. Cities where middle-class (there's that dangerous concept again) people can live reasonably safely without spending 50% of their income on housing.

8. Vagabond

Grand Forks?

9. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Milan is 42nd, and the food might be good, but everything else is just crappy.

10. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I'm not surprised American cities are so low on the list. Who wants to be indoctrinated with americanism. It'd make you sick.

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I lived in New York for three years, and loved every minute of it. Not once did the people of Manhattan make me feel like a foreigner, or try to preach "Americanism" to me. I felt entirely welcome there, and very, very safe living on my own.

For that matter, I work with many Americans and have spent time in many American cities, and I've never experienced anyone trying to "indoctrinate" me.

I have nothing but admiration for the American spirit, and although I am a proud Canadian, if immigration laws allowed it, I'd be living there now.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Canadians can't easily immigrate to the US? :eek:

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

No - there is a complicated system of visas, and unless you work in a highly specialized field, it's a difficult process. You can visit all you want, and buy property as far as I know, but working there is another story.

14. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

..and they call us ugly...:rolleyes:

15. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

But I'm not the one complaining about what bad value I'm getting because of the weakness of my currency. ;)

Are you looking to move somewhere? :lol:

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow, what a joke. As if there are hordes of Canadians desperate to cross the border. :rofl:

17. purple skates

You'd be surprised. In my circle I can think eight Canadians off the top of my head living here in Michigan. Of course they are all associated with youth hockey (no surprise there :p) so maybe that part of our culture is more saturated with Canadians than non-hockey people.

ETA - I also know at least a half dozen adult figure skaters who are not US born but who have been here for years and years, but that could be due to my close proximity to the University of Michigan.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not sure what's so funny. The system is designed to prioritize Americans for American jobs, which I can see given ongoing challenges with unemployment, as is the case in many countries. Canada actually has policies (as does the US) to incentivize qualified professionals in many professions to stay at home rather than take jobs abroad - known as a country's "brain drain."

I was glad to have the opportunity to work in the US (and pay taxes I might add), but I can see why they wouldn't want to make it easy.

19. Vagabond

Have you ever actually been to the United States? If so, where, when, and for how long?

20. missflick

missflick New Member

I was reading the other day that Winsor, Ontario had its first homicide in 27 months. 27 MONTHS! Makes me (almost) want to live there...

21. purple skates

I like Windsor. :) Unfortunately, I haven't spent as much time there as an adult as I did before I turned 21 (um, for obvious reasons), but there used to be some awesome Chinese food there and a great little English-style pub. I'll have to Google and see if that's still there.

Windsor also has some really great riverside parks.

ETA - looks like the pub is gone. :( It was next to the Old Fish Market.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  22. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

:confused:

That's a huge generalization and you're assuming their is one doctrine of "Americanism".

There are politically conservative/redneck parts of America where I wouldn't want to live, but likewise, there are politically conservative/redneck parts of Canada where I wouldn't want to live. . .

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'd be willing to live in a hovel to live in geneva, unfortunately i do not believe that they have any hovels

i once asked the hotel maid in geneva where she lived and she said outside of town. maybe there is some low rent outskirt they keep hidden from the foreigners.

24. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I didn't know being a conservative meant you were a redneck. Learn something new every day! I'm a redneck from Los Angeles. :rofl:

I wouldn't want to live anywhere where there is snow. Period. I would die.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Americanism-espousing redneck from San Francisco here. :shuffle:

I've been to Vienna and absolutely loved it. I recall people washing their sidewalks with soap there. :eek:

My parents were there just a few months ago and came back with rave reviews.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I visited the US for the first time this year and loved it. There was only one person I met who went on and on about the greatness of Denver...but he was a guide so that was his job ;)

Visiting from Europe, I understood for the first time that there was some appeal in the 'American dream'. I never understood it before, but in the US there is space, modernity and convenience, and the people are friendly.

I don't think I'd want to live there, but appalling lack of social system, transport and healthcare aside, I do understand the appeal and I am surprised there aren't more cities on the list.

I tend to think there would be more on the 'liveable' list, though, which uses slightly different criteria...

27. PRlady

Eventually. I'm sure not going to retire in DC, it's too expensive and the summer weather is unbearable.

Maybe i'll come visit you like Southpaw did and see how Ireland looks. :p

28. PRlady

Aw, you just want a conservative, orderly city after putting up with SanFran nutsiness all these years. (I was just working out and watching CNN see that toys in Happy Meals are now banned. :rolleyes: Don't they have anything better to do?)

And I'm a proud, patriotic American lefty, joining with the rest of the Americans of whatever political persuasion. From some friends of my ex-husband who live there, I know New Zealand is not enamoured of the US in general. Somehow I don't think our diplomats are losing much sleep over that.

29. RobbieB

RobbieB New Member

I used to work with a lot of Aussies, and they didn't seem "enamoured" with us either...ah well, you win some, you lose some, eh?

---
    Robert Bryant
    www.trailways.com

30. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

You're more than welcome, although summer weather here tends to be unbearable in a different way to DC. :lol:

Another reason to love San Francisco! :cheer:

"Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light..." ;)